Hurley ponders his options to go double big | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley ponders his options to go double big

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So in one post you talked about how great Whaley was on offense (and we know he was the DPOY), and then you say, Samson must not be good because, as a freshman, he didn't play over a 5th year Whaley (and 5th year Polley, and 3rd year Akok).

Whaley was really good scoring the ball for a stretch as the C. But he struggled against teams with a shot blocker. Cincinnati completely owned him with Vogt. But I don't know why we are making the comparison to begin with. They are totally different players. For the record, I don't expect Clingan to be a major contributor this year. I do think he's a guy that will be a challenge for other teams on the offensive end when he does play.
I didn’t say he wasn’t good. He just didn’t play so it shows we have to take what Hurley says preseason with a grain of salt.

We’re making the comparison because after a season of complaining about playing 2 bigs we’re now trying to talk ourselves into the idea of doing that again with someone because of the fact they’re 7’2 and can pass well. And that just doesn’t make sense to me.

If DC finds minutes at C behind Sanogo over SJ and Springs it should not be together. He’s not going to bring us that much offensively that we should sacrifice defensively.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for the season to start to get some game film!

The recyled and rehashed nuances and permutations of hypotheticals and extrapolations were originally cute & funny but now they're getting more & more annoying. :mad:;):)

I'll be going to the open practice on Tuesday and can't wait to watch these guys on the court as a team for longer than the 1:00 mixtape hype/highlight posts on twitter/instagram!

My off-the-cuff predictions for the Stonehill game:

-We shoot >35% as a team from 3
-Sanogo hits at least one 3
-Clingan/Sanogo on the court together for ~2-3min; but neither are deep in the paint together for any significant amount of time
-Limited high hedging vs. previous years (though Sanogo & Clingan will both do at least one...probably as a troll of the BY)
-Significantly better fastbreaking and halfcourt ball movement

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Could we be over analyzing this?

Hurley ponders his options to go double big​

E0F766FA-48F4-4F27-B447-C92FB2D03778.jpeg

268E58DA-3672-477C-800F-2B38537BC646.jpeg

Give me a break! I was hungry.​

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
So in one post you talked about how great Whaley was on offense (and we know he was the DPOY), and then you say, Samson must not be good because, as a freshman, he didn't play over a 5th year Whaley (and 5th year Polley, and 3rd year Akok).

Whaley was really good scoring the ball for a stretch as the C. But he struggled against teams with a shot blocker. Cincinnati completely owned him with Vogt. But I don't know why we are making the comparison to begin with. They are totally different players. For the record, I don't expect Clingan to be a major contributor this year. I do think he's a guy that will be a challenge for other teams on the offensive end when he does play.
u got the 'samson' thing pretty hard. mebbe u'll be right in the fullness of time. i have my doubts. iffn u'd ask me, id say give almost every minute slated for samson to donno. regularly stated, iffn donno ain't playing early and often, that's grounds for a coaching malpractice charge. if donno can develop that dirk 'knee to the groin' move on his jumper, whoo boy.... he's all slimmed down nowadays and ready to get at it.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Who said they're going to run the entire offense through him??? The discussion is to play them together for maybe 5-10 minutes a game where Hurley sees fit not 30 minutes a game. Jesus nothing the BY loves more than blowing things out of proportion
You suggested we stick DC at the foul line to utilize his height and passing acumen. If we did that and didn’t run the offense through him, what would be the point of even having two bigs in together?

This is less an example of boneyard hyperbole and more an observation on an asinine idea.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You suggested we stick DC at the foul line to utilize his height and passing acumen. If we did that and didn’t run the offense through him, what would be the point of even having two bigs in together?

This is less an example of boneyard hyperbole and more an observation on an asinine idea.
He responded to my suggestion. Have you never seen a high post passing offense? UConn has run it before. I’ll admit that using clips of the best passing center of all time isn’t realistic, but as with the video, the notion is that Donovan comes out high. He draws the center with him because the need to guard his shot from there. UConn runs cutters, or it’s pick and roll or he hits a wing for a 3 if they are open. If our 4 (Steven Krajewski, AK or for this thread AS) is outside and cuts, that’s hard to stop. Especially since you can’t leave Hawk, Alleyne, Karaban, Newton wide open.

Is this our primary offense? Hell no. Will we see it in the minutes Clingan plays? I would hope so. It’s how you best use a guy like that in a modern 4 out offense. Does he draw the center if Sanogo is in the post? Probably not, which is why it isn‘t likely they play together unless Sanogo is much better playing on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
He responded to my suggestion. Have you never seen a high post passing offense? UConn has run it before. I’ll admit that using clips of the best passing center of all time isn’t realistic, but as with the video, the notion is that Donovan comes out high. He draws the center with him because the need to guard his shot from there. UConn runs cutters, or it’s pick and roll or he hits a wing for a 3 if they are open. If our 4 (Steven Krajewski, AK or for this thread AS) is outside and cuts, that’s hard to stop. Especially since you can’t leave Hawk, Alleyne, Karaban, Newton wide open.

Is this our primary offense? Hell no. Will we see it in the minutes Clingan plays? I would hope so. It’s how you best use a guy like that in a modern 4 out offense. Does he draw the center if Sanogo is in the post? Probably not, which is why it isn‘t likely they play together unless Sanogo is much better playing on the perimeter.

Every year some coaches always experiment with big lineups. This will not work. Lol. We’ll see it max 5 minutes a game.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Every year some coaches always experiment with big lineups. This will not work. Lol. We’ll see it max 5 minutes a game.
With respect to Sanogo and Clingan, absolutely. But we will be pretty big anyway with AJax at 3, and Johnson or Karaban at the 4. We aren’t playing small ball.

Reaction Score
Many of you aren't going to like this article. I can't see Hurley doing this much anyway.

“Coach talked about me and Donovan playing at the same time. I think it can be good,” Sanogo said. “I am definitely shooting this year. If my defender doesn’t come out, I’m shooting it because my shot is getting better.

“Donovan has stuff he still has to work on. He is a good player. He is going to be fine. He has potential. He has to work on defense. In the Big East, there are teams you have to be able to switch everything. Villanova and St. John’s don’t play with a big man, so you have to switch. I think he will be fine.”

“Donovan is such a skilled passer, even in the high post and key area, whether it is versus a zone or man-to-man that we are tinkering, especially with Andre’s injury, at playing more zone and trying to find a way to get them on the court together a little bit,” Hurley said. “Obviously, we really want to play Donovan.”

I can't get any of the free article websites to work with the Waterbury Republican-American. But you can register with them for free and get 5 articles a week. I did that and it took 10 seconds.
Maybe playing your highest bug recruit will ramp down the idea if freshmen don’t get minutes and help continue the current dam break we are experiencing.

Reaction Score

It’s asinine not to think that a few minutes in the right matchups won’t work with these 2. I loved Whaley but to suggest we compare him to DC isn’t what this is about. DC can pass and he can post up at 7’2 knows where the hole is. The fact teams don’t usually have 2 big guys to guard them both means you can potentially shove it down their throat on the offensive side especially with 3 good shooters around them. Will need to play some zone no matter but again, who plays D like Whaley did anyway? No one else so no reason not to play with this lineup here and there especially when maybe struggling to score the ball from deep.

Reaction Score
Look, for all this talk, we know double bigs won’t be on the court too much as the year goes on. But can we all just agree it would fun to see a giant lineup of Jackson, Hawkins, Karaban, Sanogo, and Clingan for a minute or two? I’m not saying that would be in any way effective, I just want to see it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
How does this effect Samson Johnson’s legacy?
With the rest of that lineup of bigs who can all rebound it would seem that Johnson's playing time would greatly depend on his ability to hit 3's. But every year is a new year and sometimes there are surprises. If he is capable of guarding (and shot-blocking) on the perimeter as well as hitting 3's that would be awesome.

In the meantime, work on taking it down the lane and putting on more muscle. As much as a 7-8 rotation seems a given these days, I hate to see talent wasted on the bench. Would like to see some creativity by our creative staff of coaches to come up with something more than "the safe routine" rotation. If there are nine or even ten guys looking good in practice got to find a way (such as team by team matchups) to find time for them on the floor. Be creative with talent.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It’s asinine not to think that a few minutes in the right matchups won’t work with these 2. I loved Whaley but to suggest we compare him to DC isn’t what this is about. DC can pass and he can post up at 7’2 knows where the hole is. The fact teams don’t usually have 2 big guys to guard them both means you can potentially shove it down their throat on the offensive side especially with 3 good shooters around them. Will need to play some zone no matter but again, who plays D like Whaley did anyway? No one else so no reason not to play with this lineup here and there especially when maybe struggling to score the ball from deep.
Yes! Force your will on them. Stop this!!!!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Look, for all this talk, we know double bigs won’t be on the court too much as the year goes on. But can we all just agree it would fun to see a giant lineup of Jackson, Hawkins, Karaban, Sanogo, and Clingan for a minute or two? I’m not saying that would be in any way effective, I just want to see it.
Honestly? No. That team might not get over half court without dribbling off their foot.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think the amount of playing time of DC and Karaban is going to surprise some people. We have lacked offensive firepower in the past. We don't have to settle for lackluster performance with all the weapons we now have. I think those two are going to make everyone better with passing and scoring which will open up the floor for everyone else as well.

Reaction Score

Right. What you just described and linked to is a high post passing offense……with one big man. It’s not effective with two guys who need to hang out in the lane

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Right. What you just described and linked to is a high post passing offense……with one big man. It’s not effective with two guys who need to hang out in the lane
Of course not. Which is why we won’t have a guy in the lane. Even if Sanogo is in (as I said very clearly). It won’t happen often. People hung up on “two bigs”, we will play two bigs most of the time. On offense one will be on the perimeter. Whether the guy on the perimeter can be Sanogo is the only question. And we don’t have an answer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom