Hurley: Gilbert in our plans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley: Gilbert in our plans

Reaction Score
This is an ill-informed take.
Without the benefit of hindsight, how in the world was this a risky signing?

With the benefit of foresight, even Nostrahusky fan knew he'd be a risk.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Anyone know what the third surgery was? Reconstruction? Arthroscopic cleanup? I'm a little concerned about how slow the rehab seems to be going if they just tweaked it.

Reaction Score
This is an ill-informed take.

He was a 5-star McDonald’s All-American who didn’t injure his shoulder until after he was signed. Without the benefit of hindsight, how in the world was this a risky signing?

I heard things about shoulder questions before we signed him....but then again I can be misremembering....I'll blame the seizure I had last year on that...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gilbert healthy is our second best player. Let’s hope he stays healthy.
Has he really shown anything that show us that? Not trying to be a jerk, but so far, I don't remember it.

Counterpoint to that is, of course, that he hasn't been healthy yet which is a fair point that doesn't prove much one way or the other. My big fear is whether he will be mentally ready for contact. That takes time. Dislocations or sub-luxing are extraordinarily painful and people tend to shy away from things that give them the memory of pain. Not a dis of AG at all. I just think it is going to take time for him to be the best version of his 2018 self.

Reaction Score
I heard things about shoulder questions before we signed him....but then again I can be misremembering....I'll blame the seizure I had last year on that...
No you are right he was injured prior to his McDonald's game injury. He had one I believe in his sophomore year of high school. So there was definitely a risk factor of taking him when he committed to us. I don't think anything thought he would have 3 more injuries to the shoulder in successive years. I definitely wouldn't be counting on him to produce effectively. I think anything we can get is gravy so to speak. That is why we have 5 guards and probably six on the team going into next year for depth as long as they are quality.

Reaction Score
Its easy to forget just how talented Alterique is considering we lost him so early two years in a row. But this kid is a player.

He is a McD AA who was a hair from a 5 star ranking.

Hes going to have some game rust. But there is inherent talent there that cant be taught, and the kid has a great motor and leadership abilities.
I think if he can ever stay healthy hes going to be a great, not good but great player. You see some kids and you just dont have to see much of them to know theyre special. This kid health allowing is going to be one of those Uconn players that gets remembered long after hes done playing here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Anyone know what the third surgery was? Reconstruction? Arthroscopic cleanup? I'm a little concerned about how slow the rehab seems to be going if they just tweaked it.

It's called a Latarjet procedure and it's a corrective, but not minor, surgery.

@Doctor Hoop opined on it previously here:

Alterique Gilbert Update

Rehab takes 6-9 months or something? I can't remember exactly.

The benefit of the surgery is that it makes the shoulder far less susceptible to reinjury.

Reaction Score
Of course Hurley is going to say he's part of the plan...what's he supposed to say?
"Eh, looks dicey....we'll see if he can get through the injury issues and then we'll see what happens"?
Which is what he'll do, but not what he's ever going to say...

Reaction Score
All I know is my 9 year old daughter completey dislocated her elbow and chipped off a large chunk of her elbow in the process and the doc said it could take up to 6 months before she has all her fine motor skills back in her hand with physical therapy. It's been a little over a month and she can't full pull her arm back up to her chest.

I can't imagine what it's like with a shoulder.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
All I know is my 9 year old daughter completey dislocated her elbow and chipped off a large chunk of her elbow in the process and the doc said it could take up to 6 months before she has all her fine motor skills back in her hand with physical therapy. It's been a little over a month and she can't full pull her arm back up to her chest.

I can't imagine what it's like with a shoulder.
I can imagine it's not similar to your daughter's circumstances.

Reaction Score
Has he really shown anything that show us that? Not trying to be a jerk, but so far, I don't remember it.

Counterpoint to that is, of course, that he hasn't been healthy yet which is a fair point that doesn't prove much one way or the other. My big fear is whether he will be mentally ready for contact. That takes time. Dislocations or sub-luxing are extraordinarily painful and people tend to shy away from things that give them the memory of pain. Not a dis of AG at all. I just think it is going to take time for him to be the best version of his 2018 self.

He shown me enough from seeing him play in high school and the little he’s shown here. We don’t have much here and I’m not a vital fan.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Gilbert is going to play the role Fatts Russel played for URI last year for us this year(but on steroids). A spark coming off the bench, getting 20 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty confident that AG will have a good career at UConn. And not forcing him out is the right thing to do. I can’t wait for him to prove the doubters wrong.
I don't think anyone is doubting him, they're just still concerned about him being able to shake off the rust and stay healthy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nah.

Right now he is guard 1b to Adams 1a.

Until he is injured again, hes not injured. Of course it warrants being cautious after all that has happened to him, but expectations for Alterique are and should be high.
Pre-season American ROY for the 3rd year in a row high?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom