Hurley: Gilbert in our plans | The Boneyard

Hurley: Gilbert in our plans

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley | We’re moving forward with Alterique Gilbert in our plans

“It’s going to be a while until he does anything with a basketball, but yeah, he’s in our plans,” UConn head coach Dan Hurley said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. “He’s recovered well from his surgery and is on track for next season. He’s in position to have a chance to change the narrative a bit around here.”

Hope the kid can stay healthy. The podcast on the link above is worth a listen to hear a bit more from Hurley, nothing groundbreaking -- but he does make some interesting comments on the roster (re: Adams, Carlton)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley | We’re moving forward with Alterique Gilbert in our plans

“It’s going to be a while until he does anything with a basketball, but yeah, he’s in our plans,” UConn head coach Dan Hurley said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. “He’s recovered well from his surgery and is on track for next season. He’s in position to have a chance to change the narrative a bit around here.”

Hope the kid can stay healthy. The podcast on the link above is worth a listen to hear a bit more from Hurley, nothing groundbreaking -- but he does make some interesting comments on the roster (re: Adams, Carlton)

I hope he is in the plans seeing he has already been at the school for two years and is taking up a scholarship. So much hype around him and I just want to see him play!!!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Right now, he's the fifth guard. If he's able to play more than that then good for him and good for the team. I hope he's healthy but it is hard to count on it. Not only he need to get back his skills, he needs to get back in game shape.

Reaction Score
Right now, he's the fifth guard. If he's able to play more than that then good for him and good for the team. I hope he's healthy but it is hard to count on it. Not only he need to get back his skills, he needs to get back in game shape.

Agreed. I just want some return on the gamble of signing him in the first place.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Nah.

Right now he is guard 1b to Adams 1a.

Until he is injured again, hes not injured. Of course it warrants being cautious after all that has happened to him, but expectations for Alterique are and should be high.

Reaction Score
He was a gamble to sign in the first place because of his known issues with his shoulder.
We've been over this. He had one shoulder injury in HS before he committed to UConn. He got another one in the Jordan game. You don't quit on a McDonald's All-American just because of a shoulder injury.

Unless you're Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, or UNC.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I said it before last season and I'll say it again. He has to adjust his game. He should never and should be exempt from diving on the floor for loose balls, etc. I thinks his reinjury came from going to the basket and landing by bracing his fall with his arms. He's been recruited over this past weekend. We currently have three point guards and one combo guard+Sid - and then him. I hope he stays healthy because it makes us a far better team. Good luck.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Its easy to forget just how talented Alterique is considering we lost him so early two years in a row. But this kid is a player.

He is a McD AA who was a hair from a 5 star ranking.

Hes going to have some game rust. But there is inherent talent there that cant be taught, and the kid has a great motor and leadership abilities.

Reaction Score
He was a gamble to sign in the first place because of his known issues with his shoulder.
I hate this narrative. And not trying to pick on you Young but avid fans ought to know better. The casual fans following the program probably think as much anyway (I really HATE that I’m probably sounding like Chief here).

Reaction Score
We've been over this. He had one shoulder injury in HS before he committed to UConn. He got another one in the Jordan game. You don't quit on a McDonald's All-American just because of a shoulder injury.

Unless you're Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, or UNC.

Perhaps I may be wrong and I am not a casual fan but I am entitled to my opinion. I agree you don't back down from someone with an injury, I just didn't have a positive feeling about the signing way back then. I don't feel like have a different perspective is a negative...different perspectives make the world go round.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I may be wrong and I am not a casual fan but I am entitled to my opinion. I agree you don't back down from someone with an injury, I just didn't have a positive feeling about the signing way back then. I don't feel like have a different perspective is a negative...different perspectives make the world go round.

Where we were at in recruiting it was a no brainer. If you want to point to someone who was a huge risk it’s Juwan Durham. And I still Would of taken him.

Reaction Score
Check out the list of schools we beat out...we were always going to stick with him after the injury.

Rivals.com

Reaction Score
I've seen the kid play numerous times throughout high school and during pickup this past summer in the Werth Center. When he is 100% healthy, he is a much better player than Adams. Not quite as good a pure scorer but better ball handler, better passer, better 3 point shooter, better defender, and has a much better alpha dog attitude.

Reaction Score
Where we were at in recruiting it was a no brainer. If you want to point to someone who was a huge risk it’s Juwan Durham. And I still Would of taken him.

I get that at that point in time we got what we needed in theory...doesn't mean it wasn't a risk.

Reaction Score
I get that at that point in time we got what we needed in theory...doesn't mean it wasn't a risk.
Technically speaking every recruit is a risk. No one thought rique’s shoulder would be a major issue. I think most top programs would have still taken him

Reaction Score
This is an ill-informed take.

He was a 5-star McDonald’s All-American who didn’t injure his shoulder until after he was signed. Without the benefit of hindsight, how in the world was this a risky signing?

Reaction Score
I've seen the kid play numerous times throughout high school and during pickup this past summer in the Werth Center. When he is 100% healthy, he is a much better player than Adams. Not quite as good a pure scorer but better ball handler, better passer, better 3 point shooter, better defender, and has a much better alpha dog attitude.
How much better was the team with Monsieur Gilbert (Oregon, Michigan State) than without him?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom