Hurley Article on next years roster | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley Article on next years roster

Reaction Score
Did you watch the games at all? Coaching had little or nothing to do with why he's a ball stopping machine you people need to get that crap out of your head. He is just that because he can't pass, can't dribble and isn;t a very good basketball player. He lost his athleticism we saw at VCU obviously and is a rail thin stand up shooter and that's it. He puts little to no effort into defending anyone and any time he tried they left his standing there holding his jock. He wasn't awful he was dreadful one of the absolute worst defenders we've ever seen, it really is that simple. Add to that he's a TO machine and you guys want him back to waste a schools we may need for many other vital areas? Crazy
So who in your mind played good defense? In criticizing Larrier, while not entirely wrong on the surface, you aren't answering the questions as to why. Larrier's season highlights how bad this team was coached. Scouts understand that. Larrier has the ability to be coached up and like most players here, has not improved because no coach was in place to develop him. His downside is age. His upside at the next level is higher than Adams. Larrier is much better than he showed this season and while I doubt he gets drafted, I could very easily see him sign a two way and dominate the G-League. He is not a bad player. He was a good player on a horribly coached team that opponents could focus on and take out of his game.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
So who in your mind played good defense? In criticizing Larrier, while not entirely wrong, you aren't answering the questions as to why. Larrier's season highlights how bad this team was coached. Scouts understand that. Larrier has the ability to be coached up and like most players here, has not improved because no coach was in place to develop him. His downside is age. His upside at the next level is higher than Adams. Larrier is much better than he showed this season and while I doubt he gets drafted, I could very easily see him sign a two way and dominate the G-League. He is not a bad player. He was a good player on a horribly coached team that opponents could focus on and take out of his game.

the biggest question is what position is he guarding in the NBA?

There's a role for him as a guy who literally just stands in the corner and hits 3.

But his defense is just not going to cut it at the NBA level.

Reaction Score

There's a role for him as a guy who literally just stands in the corner and hits 3.

And neither will his 3 point shooting.

the Q

Reaction Score
And neither will his 3 point shooting.

I can see his shooting being NBA level. Strength and shooting are 2 things that tend to improve at the NBA level.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the games at all? Coaching had little or nothing to do with why he's a ball stopping machine you people need to get that crap out of your head. He is just that because he can't pass, can't dribble and isn;t a very good basketball player. He lost his athleticism we saw at VCU obviously and is a rail thin stand up shooter and that's it. He puts little to no effort into defending anyone and any time he tried they left his standing there holding his jock. He wasn't awful he was dreadful one of the absolute worst defenders we've ever seen, it really is that simple. Add to that he's a TO machine and you guys want him back to waste a schools we may need for many other vital areas? Crazy

You keep beating the same drum. It was the coach and the players that stunk. However, many of the players stunk because the coach didn’t make them better. An awful lot of teaching goes into good defense. Larrier is not a player that can’t defend at this level. His physical attributes ensure that he can defend.

Reaction Score

I am not saying he will be a star but to totally dismiss his ability is simply a joke. He will certainly need to bulk up but he has potential and many scouts view him as more of a prospect than Adams. I would say he was in a bad system the last two years but that would acknowledge us actually having a system. There aren't many guys that would watch Adams hold the ball on top of the key for 25plus seconds, have the other guys stand still, receive a pass with the shot clock under 10, and score efficiently. Some of this is on TL but a lot of isn't. Most NBA personnel will look at TL in a different way than the boneyard.

the Q

Reaction Score
I am not saying he will be a star but to totally dismiss his ability is simply a joke. He will certainly need to bulk up but he has potential and many scouts view him as more of a prospect than Adams. I would say he was in a bad system the last two years but that would acknowledge us actually having a system. There aren't many guys that would watch Adams hold the ball on top of the key for 25plus seconds, have the other guys stand still, receive a pass with the shot clock under 10, and score efficiently. Some of this is on Larrier but a lot of isn't. Most NBA personnel will look at Larrier in a different way than the boneyard.

where did i dismiss him?

I've continuously said a guy with his height/length and shot has the potential to carve out an NBA role.

But he also can't dribble, pass or defend anyone right now. Those are major question marks.

And those 2 sentences above are not mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
I'll just say it again, "The need for a PG is beyond critical; it is existential." And if one of our natural SG's must play point, than one of our natural SF's had better learn to play SG. Wilson is a slight 6-6, 170, built to be a SG. Appoint me coach, and I'd get CV and Sid working on their ball-handling tomorrow. Matthews, a stronger 6-7, and a proven high school rebounder, is the better SF candidate behind Polley.

Amazing to me how much talk there is here of getting Larrier to stay or bringing in this or that frontcourt addition when the team has no available scholarship if Larrier stays. The current available scholarship MUST be used to get a PG, and DH has not the luxury of waiting until Jalen decides. He must be casting his net now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll just say it again, "The need for a PG is beyond critical; it is existential." And if one of our natural SG's must play point, than one of our natural SF's had better learn to play SG. Wilson is a slight 6-6, 170, built to be a SG. Appoint me coach, and I'd get CV and Sid working on their ball-handling tomorrow. Matthews, a stronger 6-7, and a proven high school rebounder, is the better SF candidate behind Polley.

Amazing to me how much talk there is here of getting Larrier to stay or bringing in this or that frontcourt addition when the team has no available scholarship if Larrier stays. The first available scholarship MUST be used to get a PG, and DH has not the luxury of waiting until Jalen decides. He must be casting his net now.

Completely agree. Let’s forget about getting Larrier to stay. Get a PG.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
People screamed that KO had no back up plan for Gilbert knowing he was an injury risk. Now people are advocating for the same mistake.
If Adams stays, we need a pg. If he goes, we need another guard. Top priorities.
That is why I hope a couple of our superfluous bigs leave and give us a chance for upgrades. Get Carlton to stay. Others have potential, but we can't have a bunch of Biggs who aren't ready to play and 3 or 4 guards especially with Gilbert.

Reaction Score
You keep beating the same drum. It was the coach and the players that stunk. However, many of the players stunk because the coach didn’t make them better. An awful lot of teaching goes into good defense. Larrier is not a player that can’t defend at this level. His physical attributes ensure that he can defend.

Seriously? I don't give 2 craps about what he was or wasn't t taught by KO, did Shaka teach him anything? Did anyone try to instill EFFORT into his game? Even if they didn't, which is highly doubtful, the fact he didn't give any tells me he's not worth our time. Why would we keep a guy who doesn't work hard to be good at his craft, because unless you're blind he didn't at all. He was a chair on defense, a weak one at that. He rebounded when he felt like it, more often watching from the outside or trying to leak early after a weak attempt at a hand in the face of a shooter. Can he be a piece, that's up to Hurley. But anyone watching this past season I would think would want to leave that spot open for someone more willing to compete as we expect while wearing that uniform.

Reaction Score
I don't want Larrier back for reasons many have stated already. Hurley's success next year can't ride with what we have currently or coming, it ain't close to enough. We need a good point guard but also a muscular power forward who has a handle and can rebound. It's asking a lot but Hurley needs to earn the big bucks, and recruiting is a piece of that. He's not a magician.

Reaction Score
So who in your mind played good defense? In criticizing Larrier, while not entirely wrong on the surface, you aren't answering the questions as to why. Larrier's season highlights how bad this team was coached. Scouts understand that. Larrier has the ability to be coached up and like most players here, has not improved because no coach was in place to develop him. His downside is age. His upside at the next level is higher than Adams. Larrier is much better than he showed this season and while I doubt he gets drafted, I could very easily see him sign a two way and dominate the G-League. He is not a bad player. He was a good player on a horribly coached team that opponents could focus on and take out of his game.

OMG what the heck are you guys seeing? He's not a even a good player on an awful team. Adams is a good player on an awful team who at times also could use a little kick in the butt on defense, but he will prove to be better with Hurley doing just that I am sure. Larrier dominating he G league? He's lucky to play in the G League, he's a skinny shooting SF with no ball handling skills (suppose that's on Ko and the staff tooLOL) and he's very weak, can't get to the rim. His defense will be fine in the G league because they don't play any. Coached up is so overrated on a kid that age - he should be a ton better just by maturity alone and he's not. 2 coaches here remember Shaka too, so no one go through to him because he's talented yet he's not too good. But instead of blaming a 22-23 year old kid let's blame all the coaches. Any of you read what Bobby Hurley Sr said because it's right on - SPOT ON actually. Don't have it verbatim but he said the next 6 months are crucial to each kid because they need to have a plan and work that plan from now until practice begin so they are ready to get coached. Off season making yourself better is so important to these kids and we get kids lately who don't get better. How can a guy with TL's ability not be able to keep his handle in traffic ever, he's awful?? Because of him not the coaches at all. Bobby SR is right and maybe KO never left these guys with a plan to get better, shame on him I am sure Danny will and they will have expectations when they get in the gym in October. Hard to think the Husky we all loved because of his hard work and effort which kept him the game for 13 years at the highest level didn't offer some guidance as to how to come back ready and better than when they stopped playing. Or maybe these guys just aren't as good as we think? Maybe Larriers knee will be stronger than it was this past year because the guy I saw was like a colt with no explosion doing anything. He dunked more as a freshman at VCU by tons than we saw this year, very few. All I know is I'd much prefer to save that slot for a PG or a shooter who can play on both ends. But that's just me, you can take back the guy you think needs to be coached up.

Reaction Score
Wish list: resign Akinjo, keep Carlton, and sign a thug PF. Let Larrier go and don't even make an attempt to convince him to stay.

We have 5 PF's in Cobb, Williams, Whaley, Diarra and Kisunas. Unless a few transfer I doubt we go and try an sign another for this season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We desperately need a consistent 3 point thread so that teams can't pack the paint. Is that Sid?

Reaction Score
OMG what the heck are you guys seeing? He's not a even a good player on an awful team. Adams is a good player on an awful team who at times also could use a little kick in the butt on defense, but he will prove to be better with Hurley doing just that I am sure. Larrier dominating he G league? He's lucky to play in the G League, he's a skinny shooting SF with no ball handling skills (suppose that's on Ko and the staff tooLOL) and he's very weak, can't get to the rim. His defense will be fine in the G league because they don't play any. Coached up is so overrated on a kid that age - he should be a ton better just by maturity alone and he's not. 2 coaches here remember Shaka too, so no one go through to him because he's talented yet he's not too good. But instead of blaming a 22-23 year old kid let's blame all the coaches. Any of you read what Bobby Hurley Sr said because it's right on - SPOT ON actually. Don't have it verbatim but he said the next 6 months are crucial to each kid because they need to have a plan and work that plan from now until practice begin so they are ready to get coached. Off season making yourself better is so important to these kids and we get kids lately who don't get better. How can a guy with Larrier's ability not be able to keep his handle in traffic ever, he's awful?? Because of him not the coaches at all. Bobby SR is right and maybe KO never left these guys with a plan to get better, shame on him I am sure Danny will and they will have expectations when they get in the gym in October. Hard to think the Husky we all loved because of his hard work and effort which kept him the game for 13 years at the highest level didn't offer some guidance as to how to come back ready and better than when they stopped playing. Or maybe these guys just aren't as good as we think? Maybe Larriers knee will be stronger than it was this past year because the guy I saw was like a colt with no explosion doing anything. He dunked more as a freshman at VCU by tons than we saw this year, very few. All I know is I'd much prefer to save that slot for a PG or a shooter who can play on both ends. But that's just me, you can take back the guy you think needs to be coached up.
Tell us how you really feel :) I get it, you don't like TL. I strongly feel that objectively people will have a much different opinion of him away from this fanbase and program.

Reaction Score
We desperately need a consistent 3 point thread so that teams can't pack the paint. Is that Sid?

I find it hard to believe, unless Danny has something up his sleeve, we find that at this point. I want to believe that Jalen will get better, CV will take better shots and improve but this team will not be a sharpshooting team DH's first year unless a miracle or 2 find their way to campus. I am sure he understands that too and is trying to see what's available.

Reaction Score
Tell us how you really feel :) I get it, you don't like Larrier. I strongly feel that objectively people will have a much different opinion of him away from this fanbase and program.

I liked him but he proved nothing to us this year he was a major letdown. Not sure what others saw. I don't hate the guy, but effort is worth something to me. That wasn't there on the other side of the ball that's all. He can shoot we need shooters, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the game in my eyes. Hope he proves me wrong, I'd be happy for him.

Reaction Score
How can any of you possibly say another pg is more important than a shooter. We have none

Reaction Score

No. Sid can make threes but he’s not a knock down shooter. But he is an elite athlete, which is something we also have been missing.

Matthews appears to have a really nice stroke but we won’t know how consistent he is for a while either.

Reaction Score
No. Sid can make threes but he’s not a knock down shooter. But he is an elite athlete, which is something we also have been missing.

Matthews appears to have a really nice stroke but we won’t know how consistent he is for a while either.
Watching videos of Sid he can really jump and is an excellent athlete.

Reaction Score
Why is Hurley not contacting/meeting Akinjo? His family has liked several Twitter posts about that subject. There is a point guard who could be had if Hurley pursued

Reaction Score
Why is Hurley not contacting/meeting Akinjo? His family has liked several Twitter posts about that subject. There is a point guard who could be had if Hurley pursued
He may have already and we don’t know. Or, Hurley may think we can’t get him or he doesn’t fit into his system. He may also getting info on Gilbert and his prognosis.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
and they were usually dumped a year later and were part of the APR problem that we dealt with. This was one thing that Calhoun did not do well at all.
Of course the APR rule was applied retroactively so not the fault of JC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom