Hurley Article on next years roster | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Article on next years roster

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I read somewhere he asked for his release

He did. He wasn't one of the original eight who did it together. He followed suit a few days later.

Reaction Score
He did. He wasn't one of the original eight who did it together. He followed suit a few days later.

I saw him play a few years ago in person. Very strong kid, had an NBA body as a senior in high school. Seemed to have good court vision and passing skills for a bigger, thicker guard. He could be an intetesting addition as he scored 20 and 18 in two games against Notre Dame at the end of this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Laurier is probably a better option than anybody else that's left to recruit for 2018. Hope he has a change of heart. Maybe we'll be able to see more of his talent being displayed through Hurley's style of play.
Pretty funny though that while you’re saying you hope he comes back, you’re still branding him with the soft nickname Laurier, haha.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The Boneyard: "we need shooters more than anything!"

Also the Boneyard: "Terry Larrier, a proven 38% college 3-point shooter despite playing in a broken offense after missing two years and coming back from a devastating injury sucks and wouldn't even play for us!"

Morans.

Reaction Score
Well, Hurley did reach out, so what does that tell you?

Well, that means there's something he sees in Larrier. But if Larrier pulled all the stuff he pulled this season under Calhoun, I promise you he wouldn't see the court. Complete lack of effort on defense, inability to dribble, awful shot selection, claiming you feel lethargic to start games...need I go on? His spot up shooting is something to like but this roster will be better with Sid Wilson starting at the 3.

Reaction Score
This team is just two baby steps away from having NO point guard next year. All it takes is Jalen going pro and Alterique suffering a setback in his recovery. Both events are outside of DH's control. The need to recruit a PG is beyond critical; it is existential. If Larrier stays, DH has NO available scholarship, so Larrier staying is not an option. DH MUST recruit a PG, and he must do it immediately. Further, he should be taking every step necessary to groom CV as a back-up point and Sid Wilson as a SG. The possibility of losing both Jalen and AG is real, and if it happens, DH will have a problem putting a team on the floor next year -- or even running a practice.

Reaction Score
This team is just two baby steps away from having NO point guard next year. All it takes is Jalen going pro and Alterique suffering a setback in his recovery. Both events are outside of DH's control. The need to recruit a PG is beyond critical; it is existential. If Larrier stays, DH has NO available scholarship, so Larrier staying is not an option. DH MUST recruit a PG, and he must do it immediately. Further, he should be taking every step necessary to groom CV as a back-up point and Sid Wilson as a SG. The possibility of losing both Jalen and AG is real, and if it happens, DH will have a problem putting a team on the floor next year -- or even running a practice.
Sid Wilson's skill set is more SF/PF and not SG. Maybe you mean EM the recruit as he could play some SG. Though with 4 teams playing small with only one traditional big that having 4 guys who can shoot at 1-4 is more effective in college than having bruisers up front. I prefer SW plays SF or PF than SG.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard: "we need shooters more than anything!"

Also the Boneyard: "Terry Larrier, a proven 38% college 3-point shooter despite playing in a broken offense after missing two years and coming back from a devastating injury sucks and wouldn't even play for us!"

Morans.

He was a good shooter.

The problem was, he was supposed to be much more than that, but was a ball-stopping turnover machine when he got it in his hands, and was Charmin-soft on the glass and on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Well step one is seeing who's coming back. Right now the core seems like a pretty competent group.

Coming Back - Vital, Gilbert, Wilson

Probably coming back - Diarra, Cobb

50/50 - Adams, Whaley, Polley, Kisinius, Matthews

Seem like a foot out the door, but we've got a shot - Carlton, Williams

Long Shot - Larrier, Akinjo

I'm actually pretty optimistic he gets most of these guys back. To me, Adams is the lynchpin. Because if he comes back, they have a chance to play post season basketball. I think if he comes back, the other guys in the 50-50 group are probably coming sans maybe one. If he doesn't it gets a little dicier I think.

For the long shot guys - I just can't see Terry coming back. College has been a disaster for him - from the VCU transfer to the injury last year and then suffering through this year. I just think there's too much going on. Akinjo I think is west coast bound, but of the two - I think he'd be the guy that's more worthwhile to spend the time on because he fits a big time need.

So here's my two hypothetical rosters:

If Adams says YES

PG Gilbert
SG Adams
SW Vital
SF Wilson
C Diarra
BNC Cobb
BNSW - One of the 50/50 guys
BNSW - One of the 50/50/Long Shot guys

That's 8 slots filled up

The obvious need is a PG. But I'm also going hard for a big.... somewhere. Kisinus would be a nice get to have come in and make a little noise and gobble a few minutes, but I really think you go the grad route and get a guy with some P5/big game experience who just grabs boards and is a defensive presence. If no Kisinius, then this becomes more of a priority, but either way I think you need one.

If Adams says NO

PG Gilbert
SG Vital
SF Wilson
F - Who knows
C - Diarra
BNC - Cobb

Then you've got some real concerns, I think. I'd be surprised to see them lose all their 50/50 guys, so that'll fill a spot, but which ones fall where means a lot towards what you have to have outside of a ball handler. Because now you need a guy who can really score. Now you def need another presence in the post and then a swing type for depth. That's asking a lot. There are just sooooo many questions after that happens.

So to me - it's all hands on deck for Jalen just because he takes care of the most problems on his own and is the easiest to get. Plus takes pressure off of anywhere of 4-5 other problem spots on the roster that you'll have if he's not here.

Reaction Score
The keys to UConn's success next year really fall on the return of Adams and Carlton. Assuming CV and AG stay and Mathews honors his commitment, there is a huge void in talent on our frontline. Carlton is the one guy that can fix that. Plug in a graduate transfer or two and we are instantly competitive. If Carlton transfers, that front line is too bare for Hurley to truly work with.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Well step one is seeing who's coming back. Right now the core seems like a pretty competent group.

I'm actually pretty optimistic he gets most of these guys back. To me, Adams is the lynchpin. Because if he comes back, they have a chance to play post season basketball. I think if he comes back, the other guys in the 50-50 group are probably coming sans maybe one. If he doesn't it gets a little dicier I think.

For the long shot guys - I just can't see Terry coming back. College has been a disaster for him - from the VCU transfer to the injury last year and then suffering through this year. I just think there's too much going on. Akinjo I think is west coast bound, but of the two - I think he'd be the guy that's more worthwhile to spend the time on because he fits a big time need.

If Adams says YES

PG Gilbert
SG Adams
SW Vital
SF Wilson
C Diarra
BNC Cobb

That's 8 slots filled up

The obvious need is a PG. But I'm also going hard for a big.... somewhere. Kisinus would be a nice get to have come in and make a little noise and gobble a few minutes, but I really think you go the grad route and get a guy with some P5/big game experience who just grabs boards and is a defensive presence. If no Kisinius, then this becomes more of a priority, but either way I think you need one.

If Adams says NO

PG Gilbert
SG Vital
SF Wilson
F - Who knows
C - Diarra
BNC - Cobb

Then you've got some real concerns, I think. I'd be surprised to see them lose all their 50/50 guys, so that'll fill a spot, but which ones fall where means a lot towards what you have to have outside of a ball handler. Because now you need a guy who can really score. Now you def need another presence in the post and then a swing type for depth. That's asking a lot. There are just sooooo many questions after that happens.

So to me - it's all hands on deck for Jalen just because he takes care of the most problems on his own and is the easiest to get. Plus takes pressure off of anywhere of 4-5 other problem spots on the roster that you'll have if he's not here.

I like a lot of this. This late in the game if we aren’t getting akinjo back or Williams, I’m ok going grad transfer at both pg and Big man. Of the 50/50 guys akinjo and Matthews are the most important for me. But I also just really like Whaley. I can see a more springy Kevin freeman in there.

Reaction Score

If Adams says YES

PG Gilbert
SG Adams
SW Vital
SF Wilson
C Diarra
BNC Cobb

That's 8 slots filled up

If Adams says NO

PG Gilbert
SG Vital
SF Wilson
F - Who knows
C - Diarra
BNC - Cobb

This is a Hurley team so please no more skinny stretch 4's and no more 3 guard lineups. Unless they can all drive and shoot like Nova i don't want a three guard line up. Give me,

Adams
Vital
Wilson
Diarra
Carlton

Vital takes bad shots gets pulled and sees bench with Gilbert coming in. That right there is a team that if Carlton and Diarra get stronger has a shot at a tourney berth.

Reaction Score
We need another PG. I have the over/under on Gilbert participation at 8 games. You just cannot count on him. Adams need to be taken off the ball to starve off exhaustion. If coach Hurley can hang onto everyone else PG is the glaring need.

Reaction Score
Larrier was a ball stopping machine because he wasn’t coached not to be. I didn’t see anyone screaming at him to move the ball when he didn’t have an open jumper. I didn’t see KO jump off the bench and give him the hook. Larrier needs to be taught where to find his offense.

Also, the cries that he can’t defend are silly. He’s a great athlete. MAKE him defend or sit him down. Coach him for goodness sake. Steve Nash had mismatches all day Long on D, especially late in his career. He was still an amazing player because he brought so much more to the table. Let’s stop making excuses for the KO, certain players etc. It is very simple. In a a well thought out game plan, Larrier is at best, a knock down shooter with athleticism and at worst, a good shooter with serviceable athletic ability to defend in college. He is a victim of lack of development by his coaches. Just like Brimah and Purvis, Larrier will find a niche at the next level. He may or may not be an NBA player, but he’ll at least be a hell of a player in Europe.

Reaction Score
Larrier was a ball stopping machine because he wasn’t coached not to be. I didn’t see anyone screaming at him to move the ball when he didn’t have an open jumper. I didn’t see KO jump off the bench and give him the hook. Larrier needs to be taught where to find his offense.

Also, the cries that he can’t defend are silly. He’s a great athlete. MAKE him defend or sit him down. Coach him for goodness sake. Steve Nash had mismatches all day Long on D, especially late in his career. He was still an amazing player because he brought so much more to the table. Let’s stop making excuses for the KO, certain players etc. It is very simple. In a a well thought out game plan, Larrier is at best, a knock down shooter with athleticism and at worst, a good shooter with serviceable athletic ability to defend in college. He is a victim of lack of development by his coaches. Just like Brimah and Purvis, Larrier will find a niche at the next level. He may or may not be an NBA player, but he’ll at least be a hell of a player in Europe.

Did you watch the games at all? Coaching had little or nothing to do with why he's a ball stopping machine you people need to get that crap out of your head. He is just that because he can't pass, can't dribble and isn;t a very good basketball player. He lost his athleticism we saw at VCU obviously and is a rail thin stand up shooter and that's it. He puts little to no effort into defending anyone and any time he tried they left his standing there holding his jock. He wasn't awful he was dreadful one of the absolute worst defenders we've ever seen, it really is that simple. Add to that he's a TO machine and you guys want him back to waste a schools we may need for many other vital areas? Crazy

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Causal fan here with a two cent opinion. This team needs at least one new PG recruit and at least two if Adams does not return. Anything else Hurley accomplishes this off season with the roster is a bonus (adding one big man).

Reaction Score
We need another PG. I have the over/under on Gilbert participation at 8 games. You just cannot count on him. Adams need to be taken off the ball to starve off exhaustion. If coach Hurley can hang onto everyone else PG is the glaring need.

Definitely our biggest need is another PG. As weak as it is, we can get by with our frontcourt, but absolutely need help in the backcourt. We need a shooter and more importantly another PG regardless if JA stays or leaves. Can't rely on AG being healthy and even if he is, he will have almost 2 years of rust that will limit his effectiveness.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This is a Hurley team so please no more skinny stretch 4's and no more 3 guard lineups. Unless they can all drive and shoot like Nova i don't want a three guard line up. Give me,

Adams
Vital
Wilson
Diarra
Carlton

Vital takes bad shots gets pulled and sees bench with Gilbert coming in. That right there is a team that if Carlton and Diarra get stronger has a shot at a tourney berth.

A big problem is that we have little spacing with our bigs.

I hope Wilson can stroke it, because those bigs are gonna clog the lane again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom