• 3 years

Votes: 83 21.0%
  • 4 years

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think he was expecting to play like a top-10 center in the country when he got here. If he gets legit first-round interest this year, the kid needs to go. I put 2 years because I do think the league will want to see him with a bit of a 3 point shot before he moves on. Or at least I'm hoping!! Because there's very little he isn't excelling at right now.

I think it's gotta be 2 years, only to demonstrate his conditioning as being the main guy (assuming Sanogo moves on in one form or another).

His potential is tremendous, but I would want to see him show it over 30 mpg instead of 18 mpg.
Strength and stamina might be the two things he doesn't excel at right now. Whether that matters to the NBA is beyond me.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was laughed at, after the first few games of the season when I said I thought Clingan had better touch and potential around the rim than Sanogo. The collective board was also wrong big time before the season started about UConn football having a chance at 7 wins.
I remember your position about Clingan.

It’s frustrating when any individual perceives something while the herd insists otherwise. Most if not all of us have been in that situation.

It’s wonderful when that perception is about something positive. Horrible if it’s the reverse. You get to experience that perception twice, the first time in your head the second time watching it play out.

Reaction Score
Ee
Apologize if this has been asked already, but let’s say he does come back for next season, but what happens if Sanogo also comes back for a 4th season? Then what? Does Sanogo come back for a 4th to play less minutes then he did in year 3? Obviously you want to have as many good players as possible, but I am a little concerned at how this plays out if Sanogo comes back, and if that has any influence on Clingan leaving after this year or not.
Then what? It’s only a good thing. Then UConn has good chances for a 2nd National Championship in a row. Clingan at the 5, Sanogo at the 4, Hawkins and Karaban at the 3, take your pick on the point. Especially with class Hurley has coming in.

Reaction Score
Ee

Then what? It’s only a good thing. Then UConn has good chances for a 2nd National Championship in a row. Clingan at the 5, Sanogo at the 4, Hawkins and Karaban at the 3, take your pick on the point. Especially with class Hurley has coming in.
I agree, as a husky fan it would be amazing, no doubt. I just don’t think it’s realistic to see them both on the same team, and that Clingan would be ok with 2 years in a row of coming off the bench and playing 15 minutes, or the other way around with Sanogo playing less minutes. Also, I don’t see Hurley starting or playing them both together, but I could be wrong.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I would love to hear what scouts are actually saying. If he’s a guaranteed first rounder after this year then obviously that’s hard to turn down but I find it hard to believe they won’t want confidence he’ll develop more nba-centric skills before drafting him—eg extended offensive game—considering a guy like Edey is not clear to be drafted at this point.

I could be wrong because I think it’s pretty obvious Clingan’s natural basketball skills are through the roof—passing, hands, footwork, etc (and way better than a guy like Edey). Ie pretty much everyone on this board probably has confidence that he’ll be able to add shooting and expanded offense to his game pretty seamlessly given the tools he has.

Centers are just so deprioritized in the nba right now. I guess by that same token, if he ever gets a first round guarantee perhaps he should go because it’s not clear there’s anything a center of his build could show on the college level that could guarantee the lottery.

Reaction Score
I was laughed at, after the first few games of the season when I said I thought Clingan had better touch and potential around the rim than Sanogo. The collective board was also wrong big time before the season started about UConn football having a chance at 7 wins.
Both of our centers have been unbelievable around the rim this season, that's why you got laughed at. Clingan is 47/60 - 78.3% and Sanogo is shooting 50/63 - 79.4% at the rim. That puts Sanogo at #5 in the country and Clingan tied for 7th with Zach Edey for guys with >50 attempts

Reaction Score
If Clingan is getting 1st round buzz Dan Hurley should be driving him to the airport himself. Can't turn down that kind of money. And for the UConn-centric view every big man in the country will be interested if Clingan became a 1st rounder in 1 year at UConn

Reaction Score
Both of our centers have been unbelievable around the rim this season, that's why you got laughed at. Clingan is 47/60 - 78.3% and Sanogo is shooting 50/63 - 79.4% at the rim. That puts Sanogo at #5 in the country and Clingan tied for 7th with Zach Edey for guys with >50 attempts

Dunks do not require touch. They require height and hops. Clingan is dunking everything in sight (as he should). Sanogo is smaller and needs to use his impressive touch to put the ball in the hole more. I

I'm going to stand by my statement that Clingan hasn't shown a refined touch around the rim. His hook shots with either hand have looked kind of weak. He's just 10 feet tall and can dunk from the free throw line without jumping, so there's really been no reason for him to work on it.

Reaction Score
Dunks do not require touch. They require height and hops. Clingan is dunking everything in sight (as he should). Sanogo is smaller and needs to use his impressive touch to put the ball in the hole more. I

I'm going to stand by my statement that Clingan hasn't shown a refined touch around the rim. His hook shots with either hand have looked kind of weak. He's just 10 feet tall and can dunk from the free throw line without jumping, so there's really been no reason for him to work on it.
Yeah if you take out their dunks Sanogo is 37/48 - 77.1% and Clingan is 21/33 - 63.6% so definitely a difference starting to show up there

Reaction Score
But you responded to this:
I think he has said he wants to play two years at uconn before he goes in the nba.

With this:
He did say that. DC man of his word. Finished his career at BCHS to beat his mom’s record.

Confused Friends Tv GIF
You’re right. He said his intentions were to play at least two years at UConn and then contemplate the NBA.

Reaction Score
So the question about Clingan should be a year or years. I think he would only enter the draft this year if he’s guaranteed to be a lottery pick, this is also going to be a deep draft. Playing his sophomore year as the guy and a team captain would give him a huge mental advantage, he would get paid through NIL as well.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I voted two years, with the hunch that we win a NC next year. But I see a conventional refrain that a player will leave as soon as the money or prestige of being a high lottery pick enables that. That is not a given.

Tim Duncan played all four years despite being ready and destined to be rewarded quite well for leaving early. He also was a player of high character. There is research to link the two.

Nothing in the archives of brain health research links money and prestige to better brain health. People leave early because of cultural expectations and ambitions that have been cultivated, not due to natural health factors. However, there are links between brain health and longevity to things like social bonds, self-improvement and the sense of purpose behind the rewarding pursuit of a goal.

These are some of the health factors that lead a person like Tim Duncan to stay in college all four years, and may lead to DC staying for at least two.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing people need to keep in mind is DC won't be facing "get paid now or never get paid" when this season ends. Spending a second (or third) year in school will only postpone when he starts getting paid NBA money.

Reaction Score
Apologize if this has been asked already, but let’s say he does come back for next season, but what happens if Sanogo also comes back for a 4th season? Then what? Does Sanogo come back for a 4th to play less minutes then he did in year 3? Obviously you want to have as many good players as possible, but I am a little concerned at how this plays out if Sanogo comes back, and if that has any influence on Clingan leaving after this year or not.
For goodness sakes. They each have a choice to come back to UConn, to play anywhere else they want or to go professional. Does it strike you as reasonably likely enough that it's worth talking about that they will both voluntarily come back to UConn unless Hurley commits to playing Sanogo at the 4 as well as the 5?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He can hit the 3 & has great form on shot. Certainly a piece of his game that can continue to evolve. Continuing to bolster athleticism & foot speed will be key.
I don’t doubt it. He just has to start showing it in games for scouts to see.

I was watching Rudy Gobert struggling to finish around the rim yesterday thinking “DC would’ve just dunked that.” Lol

Reaction Score
One thing people need to keep in mind is DC won't be facing "get paid now or never get paid" when this season ends. Spending a second (or third) year in school will only postpone when he starts getting paid NBA money.
This. And there is insurance that can be purchased that would protect him from a major injury that stopped him from getting cash.

If your family is living day to day, you have to take the money the moment is offered. If your family is fine waiting a year, and you’re not worried about shrinking, the money will be there for him (whatever money there is for a player of his type) when he wants it. He will have a choice to make at the end of the season, and certainly taking the money when it’s there is the usual choice, but in this case I wouldn’t be shocked if he gave UConn a second year.

Reaction Score
until we win a ncaa tournament championship, same can be said for a lot of these players

Reaction Score
Yeah....that's not why you were laughed at...lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tim Duncan played all four years despite being ready and destined to be rewarded quite well for leaving early. He also was a player of high character. There is research to link the two.
I hear what you're saying but Duncan came out of college 25 years ago. It's a different world now. Ray Allen spent 3 years at UConn. Same with Rip, Emeka, Donyell, etc. Very unlikely any of those guys would do the same these days.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying but Duncan came out of college 25 years ago. It's a different world now. Ray Allen spent 3 years at UConn. Same with Rip, Emeka, Donyell, etc. Very unlikely any of those guys would do the same these days.
Culturally it is a different world, but people were leaving early back then as well, people were in fact faulting Duncan as crazy back then, meanwhile the factors that best maintain brain health and longevity have not changed.

Reaction Score
If Clingan is getting 1st round buzz Dan Hurley should be driving him to the airport himself. Can't turn down that kind of money. And for the UConn-centric view every big man in the country will be interested if Clingan became a 1st rounder in 1 year at UConn
Can’t imagine a more ridiculous take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24