• 4 years

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think Clingan is focused on winning games more than showcasing his skills. Yes, Sanogo does shoot occasionally from beyond the arc, but keep in mind he is 5 or 6 inches shorter than Clingan, and anyway good 6’9” shooters are a dime dozen in the NBA, but when you go over 7 or 7’ 1” the number drops way down. I’ll bet Zach Edey at Purdue hasn’t attempted a 3 pt shot all year, so far anyway.
I think that’s a slightly naive pom-pom waving take to truly believe a kid is more focused on winning in college than showcasing his skills. These college kids are trying to get to the NBA, first and foremost. There’s no shame in that either. Winning games and developing guys to go to the league usually go hand in hand, though.

Reaction Score
I think that’s a slightly naive pom-pom waving take to truly believe a kid is more focused on winning in college than showcasing his skills. These college kids are trying to get to the NBA, first and foremost. There’s no shame in that either. Winning games and developing guys to go to the league usually go hand in hand, though.
I think you’re forgetting that basketball is a team sport. DC does and positions himself what and where the coaches tell him. When players start playing for themselves in the selfish manner you’re suggesting to look best in front of the scouts, is when teams start losing. I would love to see you say to Hurley’s face that a focus on winning ball games is Pom Pom waving and slightly naive, compared to letting individual players showboat for the NBA scouts.:rolleyes:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think Clingan is focused on winning games more than showcasing his skills. Yes, Sanogo does shoot occasionally from beyond the arc, but keep in mind he is 5 or 6 inches shorter than Clingan, and anyway good 6’9” shooters are a dime dozen in the NBA, but when you go over 7 or 7’ 1” the number drops way down. I’ll bet Zach Edey at Purdue hasn’t attempted a 3 pt shot all year, so far anyway.
Who said Clingan should take more 3s? Not a chance. I mentioned Sanogo's 3s only in the context of developing his game. He can take the shot, not that it will be expected on a regular basis. Sanogo is very reminiscent of Elton Brand to me and no one should wag a finger if he can carve out that type of career.

Zach Edey shot chart extends to the foul line and outside the lane on the sides. I agree that Clingan should continue to make his living near the half-moon restricted area, but the 8-15 footer opens the door to something special. If he has it, he needs to show more confidence in it during games.

Anything short of that (including merely being focused on winning vs. showcasing skills) and the one-and-done talk should be cooled down. As it is, Clingan might be a 1st rounder based on potential, but as a presumed starter with a touch more development, he's a high lottery pick after next season. This is a kid who bet on himself and stayed at Bristol Central for four years. The big money is out there and will be there, particularly when he can bridge the gap with NIL income.

Reaction Score
A lot of this may come down to how dominant he turns out to be against big time completion come tourney time. If he dominates, scores 20 and 10 against top 10 teams and the press and scouts are talking him up it’s going to be very difficult to have him back. What if he moves into the top 10 picks? It’s over.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
A lot of this may come down to how dominant he turns out to be against big time completion come tourney time. If he dominates, scores 20 and 10 against top 10 teams and the press and scouts are talking him up it’s going to be very difficult to have him back. What if he moves into the top 10 picks? It’s over.
If DC were to become a top 10 pick after a freshman season, recruits would be lining up to come play for UConn and this staff. As a program we would be far from “it’s over.”

Reaction Score
I think he's here 2 years. An off-season to polish and expand his game and a year of being the man to show out. Which is at least a year if not two less than I would have said a month ago.

Reaction Score
What if UConn loses at the FF this season, DC still might think about coming back to help win a NC. An 18 yr old kid might want that on his resume, despite all the NBA money being thrown at him, not to mention the NIL income he’ll make anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom