How Great Was That? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

How Great Was That?

Reaction Score
Thank you Baylor!! :D You didn’t wilt down the stretch. A 1 point win is so much better than a 40 point win. :p

View attachment 42025
Chloe Jackson gives Baylor edge over Notre Dame in NCAA women's championship -

At this time last year, Chloe Jackson was not on the Baylor women's basketball team. Today, she is its national championship savior and most outstanding player.

Jackson hit a driving layup with 3.9 seconds remaining, lifting Baylor to an 82-81 win over Notre Dame on Sunday night.

[Story]

Tip in - Jackson will never have to buy a meal in Waco ever again. :p
Negative - she can't receive free meals from Waco residents if she has any NCAA athletic eligibility remaining. They can provide her with permissible occasional meals. :)

Reaction Score
Negative - she can't receive free meals from Waco residents if she has any NCAA athletic eligibility remaining. They can provide her with permissible occasional meals. :)
Haha. DT: "No. But yes."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Not negative!! Jackson is done playing at the collegiate level. Jackson, playing in her final game in her only season in Waco after transferring from LSU, was named the Final Four's most outstandingplayer.

Jackson is projected to go in the third round of the WNBA draft Wednesday, according to ESPN. This statement is taken from an article by Brendan Rourke. It's at the very bottom of the article.

I knew this is her last year of playing college BB when I wrote this. My suggestion is correct!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Yep. Muffet is one heck of a coach. That game was on the verge of being a blow out of epic proportions, but she got her team settled and they were quickly right back to within striking distance. If that game goes to OT, I think ND wins it easily.
Did she coach Cox's injury because that was a significant part of the Irish comeback? She's obviously a really good coach and great recruiter but Baylor was well in control until the injury.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
My theory is that Arike regretted the Dangerfield clothesline and ESPN's repeated showing of her buzzer-beaters. She realized that with the Cox injury and Baylor's overwhelming beat down of Notre Dame, her team didn't really deserve the win because of a free throw. Anyway, she scored 31 timely points and damn well carried her team through the first half and was instrumental in their comeback. Really nothing left to prove. Plus there was the need to atone for her coach's unseemly attack on male privilege and her school's years of paying off the referees. Not saying she missed intentionally, but subconscious guilt and yearning for redemption temporarily short circuited her muscle memory. She works in mysterious ways.

Carnac

Reaction Score
When it happened, I thought the same thing...how fitting for her, guess tomorrow's special at the ND cafeteria would be humble pie...etc. Then I saw her crying next to her mom, and I remembered I am a parent. It is easy, too easy sometimes, to remember that these are kids crying just as much as the Huskies did the other day (I know this does sound like a take I would have normally have, but seeing my kid grow up, I am gaining empathy).

Not just tomorrow, but all week. They can wash that humble pie it down with some "chilled" crow nectar.
Crow and humble pie, an unbeatable (and appropriate) post-game meal after you've been defeated and you did a lot of pre-game "pontificating" you didn't back up.

1554835687779.png

Bon appetit. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
I see Dee Kantner as part of the same problem with women coaching candidates.... there are not enough of them.... Have a final 4? If Lisa Mattingly and one or two more are not available we will fall back on Dee K.... WCBB needs a bigger talent pool from which to draw..... Muffet barks about the men coaching in the game.... well get more women involved and interested in coaching.... same for refereeing

They can start with Kara Lawson. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
When it happened, I thought the same thing...how fitting for her, guess tomorrow's special at the ND cafeteria would be humble pie...etc. Then I saw her crying next to her mom, and I remembered I am a parent. It is easy, too easy sometimes, to remember that these are kids crying just as much as the Huskies did the other day (I know this does sound like a take I would have normally have, but seeing my kid grow up, I am gaining empathy).
I agree with one of the posts that if Arike played at UC we would have loved her. Correct except if she ever did what she did in this years first game , her ass would have found the. End of the bench. There are two to blame, her and her desperate coach

Reaction Score
In the last 4 games here are the foul differentials;

ND: 22 Baylor: 7
ND: 16 UConn: 9
ND: 16 Stanford: 6
ND: 15 TA&M: 10

As a reference, UConn is tied with Duke (at #33) for fewest fouls, 459 for the year...while ND is tied with USF (#79) 494. What does this mean, probably nothing but it looks good. :rolleyes:
I did not pay attention to the A&M game but wasn't ND down in each of the other three games by a significant margin? Hmmm. Amazing how a team can mount a big comeback by playing "physical defense" and not foul. Muffet is a genius! Somehow her team fouls in the regular season but becomes non-fouling defensive juggernauts in the tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You better watch the replay. Shepard is moving into legitimate rebounding position as Cox moves with her. There is no hip check, Cox steps on Brown’s foot and her left knee caves inward. Classic ACL tear. Don’t make stuff up to support your bias.
You better watch the replay yourself because she was most definitely hip checked. You can argue whether or not it was a foul but it is what it is. Letting that stuff, and worse, go is what leads to injuries. And, by the way, it rarely is the foul itself that causes the inury but what happens next because players end up in awkward positions and out of balance.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As a reference, UConn is tied with Duke (at #33) for fewest fouls, 459 for the year...while ND is tied with USF (#79) 494. What does this mean, probably nothing but it looks good. :rolleyes:

So misleading. When you look at fouls per game, ND is 5th in the nation.
1554904772528.png

If you look at foul rate (% of possessions where the team committed a foul), ND is 2nd per Her Hoop Stats. ND giving up few free throws is not a postseason anomaly.

Meanwhile, offensively, Notre Dame's free throw rate ranks 239 out of 351. Free throw rate is the ratio of free throws to field goal attempts.

However, ND ranked 19th in free throw attempts per game. How do we account for the discrepancy between the pedestrian free throw rate and ND's high free throw totals?

First, ND played fast (27th in possessions per 40). Second, ND was a great offensive rebounding team (4th in offensive rebounding rate). Because, ND played fast and got back many of their own misses, they were 7th in the nation in FGA per game.

ND didn't get fouled on an inordinate amount of their shots. They simply got up a lot of shots.

Reaction Score
You better watch the replay yourself because she was most definitely hip checked. You can argue whether or not it was a foul but it is what it is. Letting that stuff, and worse, go is what leads to injuries. And, by the way, it rarely is the foul itself that causes the inury but what happens next because players end up in awkward positions and out of balance.
I described the play accurately after watching the replay 7 times prior to posting. You're seeing what you want to see.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I heard a rumor that Muffet is seeing "pink elephants."

Reaction Score
So misleading. When you look at fouls per game, ND is 5th in the nation.
View attachment 42120

If you look at foul rate (% of possessions where the team committed a foul), ND is 2nd per Her Hoop Stats. ND giving up few free throws is not a postseason anomaly.

Meanwhile, offensively, Notre Dame's free throw rate ranks 239 out of 351. Free throw rate is the ratio of free throws to field goal attempts.

However, ND ranked 19th in free throw attempts per game. How do we account for the discrepancy between the pedestrian free throw rate and ND's high free throw totals?

First, ND played fast (27th in possessions per 40). Second, ND was a great offensive rebounding team (4th in offensive rebounding rate). Because, ND played fast and got back many of their own misses, they were 7th in the nation in FGA per game.

ND didn't get fouled on an inordinate amount of their shots. They simply got up a lot of shots.
And, yet, in the first game, UConn went to the line 20 times and in the elite eight game UConn went to the line 9 times. Same teams, same season. Do you see it? Of course you don't. You don't want to. ND is becoming the Duke of the women's game. Preferrential ref treatment, flopping, chippy play, excessive hype and so on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom