How Great Was That? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How Great Was That?

Reaction Score
Now you're talking. I would not mind if ESPN promotes WCBB, like it did this season, for next season's basketball season. :rolleyes:
Loved the time Mike and Wingo spent discussing the game with Lobo this AM. Wonderful commercial for women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Yep. Muffet is one heck of a coach. That game was on the verge of being a blow out of epic proportions, but she got her team settled and they were quickly right back to within striking distance. If that game goes to OT, I think ND wins it easily.
Both coaches did a fine job of planning and execution. I appreciated that they both had tactics ready for each phase of the game, in particular not relying totally on dribbling around then taking a 3. Both did a fine job of penetrating, then going for hoop or taking 10 footer as situation dictated.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Loved the time Mike and Wingo spent discussing the game with Lobo this AM. Wonderful commercial for women's basketball.

Serendipity. That the Golics were NT alumni and Wingo is a Baylor Alum.

Reaction Score
When I referred to "my was bad" it had nothing to do with basketball. It was my personal week.

ohhhh.....................gotcha.................sorry to hear that.............

Reaction Score
In addition to losing Cox, Baylor was affected as the referees developed a bunch of touch foulitis, repeatedly sending ND to the foul line on missed shots. This helped ND get back in the game and stay in the game to the very end.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Dee Kanter has ZERO business referring in a Championship (or even post season) game. None. ESPECIALLY with Notre Dame in the game. It's no secret how she rolls. In fairness, I didn't think she was quite as bad as she normally was, but there were some questionable whistles from her.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Probably zero, will see Jackson's drive alot

That's right. ESPN is launching its ACC Network this year. They're not about to draw any negative attention to an epic fail by an ACC team.

Reaction Score
That's right. ESPN is launching its ACC Network this year. They're not about to draw any negative attention to an epic fail by an ACC team.

How much did they show KLS’s miss (a makeable shot that would have tied the score) at the buzzer in last years semis?

They showed William’s game winner a lot because it was exciting for the game. Ditto Arike’s and so it will be with Jackson’s.

Reaction Score
I said it before and I'll say it again. Dee Kanter has ZERO business referring in a Championship (or even post season) game. None. ESPECIALLY with Notre Dame in the game. It's no secret how she rolls. In fairness, I didn't think she was quite as bad as she normally was, but there were some questionable whistles from her.

I see Dee Kantner as part of the same problem with women coaching candidates.... there are not enough of them.... Have a final 4? If Lisa Mattingly and one or two more are not available we will fall back on Dee K.... WCBB needs a bigger talent pool from which to draw..... Muffet barks about the men coaching in the game.... well get more women involved and interested in coaching.... same for refereeing

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My 2nd favorite aspect of the Baylor win is now Kim Mulkey has 3 titles overall putting her 3rd behind Geno and Pat. Tara and “what’s her name” are tied for 4th with 2. With all the talent Stanford has coming in and returning, if not UConn, I will be a Cardinal fan for Tara to get #3! :rolleyes:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
How much did they show KLS’s miss (a makeable shot that would have tied the score) at the buzzer in last years semis?

They showed William’s game winner a lot because it was exciting for the game. Ditto Arike’s and so it will be with Jackson’s.

True. Just because it wasn't a buzzer beater doesn't diminish the importance of Jackson's shot. Baylor was down one when she made it. Without that basket they likely lose.

It will be interesting to see how much the replay appears in ESPN promos.

Reaction Score
True. Just because it wasn't a buzzer beater doesn't diminish the importance of Jackson's shot. Baylor was down one when she made it. Without that basket they likely lose.

It will be interesting to see how much the replay appears in ESPN promos.

I mentioned this before, but I'll spell it out this time. The replay I want ESPN to show is the Arike's missed free throw...over and over and over again, just like this season.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Now that I'm come down off the chandelier, three thoughts come to mind.
I wonder how much Chloe Jackson's draft stock rose during the tournament. Especially during today's game? She was HUGE today!!! They don't win without her play today.

2. In retrospect, did you notice how Mulkey's bench stepped up tonight when called upon? Her bench made HUGE contributions the entire game. They don't win without the contributions from the bench.

3. CARMA is a $&^#@ :D Today turned out to be a great day after all. :p

Urban Dictionary: Carma
The principle of retributive justice determining a person's luck or unluck in related matters, as the effect of his past related deeds
or actions.
I think I bought a Chevy at carma a few years back. ;)

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I mentioned this before, but I'll spell it out this time. The replay I want ESPN to show is the Arike's missed free throw...over and over and over again, just like this season.

Arike's missed free throw is now wedded to her buzzer-beating shots. From now on, ESPN will not be able air the buzzer-beaters as it has without referencing her missed free throw, they can try, but they lack some of their former power. Coupled together, those shots now epitomize "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat."

Reaction Score
In addition to losing Cox, Baylor was affected as the referees developed a bunch of touch foulitis, repeatedly sending ND to the foul line on missed shots. This helped ND get back in the game and stay in the game to the very end.
Muffet most teach a "how to draw fouls" course. For three years now, never seen a team be able to gain so many fouls simply by driving into the defender.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
When it happened, I thought the same thing...how fitting for her, guess tomorrow's special at the ND cafeteria would be humble pie...etc. Then I saw her crying next to her mom, and I remembered I am a parent. It is easy, too easy sometimes, to remember that these are kids crying just as much as the Huskies did the other day (I know this does sound like a take I would have normally have, but seeing my kid grow up, I am gaining empathy).

Reaction Score
Muffet most teach a "how to draw fouls" course. For three years now, never seen a team be able to gain so many fouls simply by driving into the defender.

In the last 4 games here are the foul differentials;

ND: 22 Baylor: 7
ND: 16 UConn: 9
ND: 16 Stanford: 6
ND: 15 TA&M: 10

As a reference, UConn is tied with Duke (at #33) for fewest fouls, 459 for the year...while ND is tied with USF (#79) 494. What does this mean, probably nothing but it looks good. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Oh, somewhere in this flavored land, the sun is shining bright
the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout
But there will be no jig in South Bend, the mighty________has struck out!

Is it possible, the ND coach has never jigged at the end of a final four victory? If that is so, then was she symbolically dancing on Geno's grave, the sarcastic bully, scourge of all things anti-woman?
I don't know, if you weren't high-heel celebrating your Irish heritage, then Muffet, please give it a rest.
I agree that there should be more women in positions of power and influence (including coaching), domestically and worldwide, but Mr. Geno Auriemma has done more for women's basketball, domestically and worldwide, than just about anyone I know, male or female. Just ask Rebecca Lobo.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score

The miss was by Gabby, per play by play

Reaction Score
The miss was by Gabby, per play by play

Nope, in last year semi KLS took a full-length court pass from Gabby and miss a contested layup at the buzzer against ND (not sure if it would have counted if it had gone in though). Gabby's miss was from 2 years ago against Mississipi State.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Nope, in last year semi KLS took a full-length court pass from Gabby and miss a contested layup at the buzzer against ND (not sure if it would have counted if it had gone in though). Gabby's miss was from 2 years ago against Mississipi State.
Check your facts UCONN Husky games website. 4th quarter 2 sec left missed shot Gabby rebound Westfeld

Reaction Score
Check your facts UCONN Husky games website. 4th quarter 2 sec left missed shot Gabby rebound Westfeld

4th quarter yes. The video shows KLS missing a contested shot at the end of OT, but it doesn’t show up in the play by play so I’m assuming it would not have counted.

I can’t imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth here had KLS’s shot gone in to “tie” the game and then not counted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom