How Great Was That? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How Great Was That?

Reaction Score
Interesting that there were two posts started today on topics that would come into play in the championship game. Worst Strategy in Basketball was about running the clock down at the end of the quarter. At the end of the 3rd quarter in tonight’s game Baylor hit the 2 with 6 seconds left leaving Arike plenty of time to hit a 3 to end the quarter. The post What Shot is More Difficult compared making a buzzer beater 3 to hitting free throws with no time left. I bet Arike would like to go back and have the opportunity of putting up another buzzer beater instead of those foul shots.
I guess this shows players and coaches should read the BY before a big game.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Oh, somewhere in this flavored land, the sun is shining bright
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout
But there is no jig in South Bend, the mighty ________has struck out!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you resort to childish name calling, your post will be deleted, regardless of the merit of the rest of your post

Reaction Score
After the Cox injury ND started raining points down as few teams can. Baylor had a few defensive lapses and quick shots, but all in all they held up very well, making many critical shots of their own. Everyone on both teams showed up big in that frenetic last quarter. One of the most impressive women's games that I have ever seen.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Oh, somewhere in this flavored land, the sun is shining bright
the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout
But there will be no jig in South Bend, the mighty________has struck out!
The flavor is delicious tonight! I love the reference! :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great competitive game by both teams. Chloe Jackson monster mid range game tonight. The Baylor's frosh, Nalyssa Smith is going to be a serious problem. Hope Lauren Cox injury isn't to bad.

Now that I'm come down off the chandelier, three thoughts come to mind.
I wonder how much Chloe Jackson's draft stock rose during the tournament. Especially during today's game? She was HUGE today!!! They don't win without her play today.

2. In retrospect, did you notice how Mulkey's bench stepped up tonight when called upon? Her bench made HUGE contributions the entire game. They don't win without the contributions from the bench.

3. CARMA is a $&^#@ :D Today turned out to be a great day after all. :p

Urban Dictionary: Carma
The principle of retributive justice determining a person's luck or unluck in related matters, as the effect of his past related deeds
or actions.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Arike, the heartbreaker, misses the FT that costs ND at least a tie. AND after Cox was lost and the Irish crawled back into the game, Baylor prevailed. Congrats to the Lady Bears. The Irish lose not only a game, not only a title, ND loses its ENTIRE team--if Young opts out. Great in every way.

Maybe you didn't see her mouth to Muffet about her second attemp "miss it?", then go down and slap the floor when she made it. She choked twice in that visit to the free throw line. Sooo perfect I have to introduce a song which captures that moment:

Reaction Score
Now that I'm come down off the chandelier, three thoughts come to mind.
I wonder how much Chloe Jackson's draft stock rose these last two games? She was HUGE today!!! They don't win without her play today.

2. In retrospect, did you notice how Mulkey's bench stepped up tonight when called upon? Her bench made HUGE contributions the entire game. They don't win without the contributions from the bench.

3. CARMA is a $&^#@ :D
Nylissa Smith really stepped up.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For me...and I think a bunch of scouts...
There was a moment in the 1st half that symbolized the game
...and the love/hate I have of Arike's game.

There was a scrum out near half court and Arike lost the ball to the Baylor guard.
As Baylor's break developed, Arike just stood there watching, then slowly jogging down court...
more to take the ball out after the basket then to effect the play.

Bad form.

The play was replayed from another angle during the half-time show and it was even more devastating.
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not a hater. It was a really great year and tournament, but MM and her band make it a point to twist the knife when they get a chance. She's 2-5 in the Title game and 13-37 overall against UConn, humility and practicality should be used on her part. Of course, she made a scene with a jig after the win against us, I'm glad she got her chance since tonight didn't afford the opportunity. There's more that can be said, especially after her speech about empowering women, but lets get one thing straight, a woman can be as biased as any man when she's in power. Along with proud, arrogant and classless. Lets teach each other to be better ppl instead of worrying about being better than other ppl. Go Huskies! We shall return!

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Ha, ha, ha...In like a lion, out like a lamb...Arike and Mabrey tried to play hero ball and failed. Congratulations Baylor, you were clearly the better team with Cox playing, who I hope will be OK next year. Sayonara ND, it will be interesting to see if you can recover something for next year, but it doesn't look good.:eek:

Reaction Score
I watched, impossibly hoping both would lose--ND because...well because, and Baylor, thinking of Diana and Sue but remembering their Brittany, for its homophobic student conduct policy, but not wanting to punish the girls for school's policy, so in the end I wanted a Baylor win, especially since ND was in it only because Cox went out. For many reasons, I wanted a Oregon-UConn matchup.

Reaction Score
Free Throws in 2nd Half ND 15 Baylor Zero.
ND Shot 13 Ft's in the 4th Qtr and unlike them they missed four of them.
I was sure Arike would tie the game and then ND would win it in OT.
The game was all ND in the 4th Qtr.
ND scored 26 Points. Baylor 16.

How Big are Transfers. Chloe Jackson played for LSU Last Year.
Tonight she scored 26 points in the Baylor win and scored the last 4 points for Baylor.
The ND bias is disgusting. ND is the team clawing back and Baylor shoots ZERO FTs in the second half and 7 for the game? And, by the way, Cox was hip checked several times when she was injured. ND gets away with murder in the paint but don't breathe on them when they are shooting.

Reaction Score
Before Lauren Cox went down with what was clearly a game-ending injury with 1 minute and 32 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, the game felt like it was well within Baylor’s control; after Cox was forced out, the game felt like it was Notre Dame’s to grab and win. Then, when Notre Dame took the lead with 3:18 left in the 4th quarter and with NaLyssa Smith fouling out, the conclusion seemed foregone. That Baylor then prevailed with Notre Dame’s reputation for clutch late game heroics and with all the odds seemingly now arrayed in Notre Dame’s favor is what makes this feel so just and right. This clearly was a case of Notre Dame stealing defeat from the jaws of victory. Reading the articles describing the game on the various media websites makes it clear that the writers of these articles were compelled to revise their narratives in light of an ending they did not foresee. Bravo for Baylor!

Reaction Score
Don't like rooting against folks or teams but for ND I will make exception. First thing I thought is I don't have to see Arike shot anymore!!!

Also it shows how hard it is to win a championship. UConn has not won last three years but every year a different team has won.

Congrats to Kim and Baylor.

Hey did Muffett dance tonight ???

Reaction Score
I am not either Notre Dame fan nor an Arike fan, but I do not think that she deserves such a bashing because she missed one shot. She has made plenty of great shots in the last four years and will be remembered for her contributions to the ND team. ND would not be as successful without her all year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom