How Great Was That? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How Great Was That?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched, impossibly hoping both would lose--ND because...well because, and Baylor, thinking of Diana and Sue but remembering their Brittany, for its homophobic student conduct policy, but not wanting to punish the girls for school's policy, so in the end I wanted a Baylor win, especially since ND was in it only because Cox went out. For many reasons, I wanted a Oregon-UConn matchup.

Me too.

Reaction Score
I am not either Notre Dame fan nor an Arike fan, but I do not think that she deserves such a bashing because she missed one shot. She has made plenty of great shots in the last four years and will be remembered for her contributions to the ND team. ND would not be as successful without her all year.
The bashing is likely a reaction to the ad nauseam airing of Arike's highlights from last year's tournament, but I think it's quite unfair to single her out for 'pay back.' The responsibility is 100% ESPN and their exceptionally simplified (for all us simpleton women's BB fans) coverage of WCBB.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I can watch 10 times ....LOL

Maybe one of the ND players should have tried to block her FT. It would have had a better shot of going in. ;)

Reaction Score
The bashing is likely a reaction to the ad nauseam airing of Arike's highlights from last year's tournament, but I think it's quite unfair to single her out for 'pay back.' The responsibility is 100% ESPN and their exceptionally simplified (for all us simpleton women's BB fans) coverage of WCBB.
I was thinking that, combined with her antics from the regular season match-up.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
despite the UConn loss, getting the Page Bueckers commitment and watching Baylor beat ND is an OK week in my book
When I referred to "my was bad" it had nothing to do with basketball. It was my personal week.

Reaction Score
Arike, the heartbreaker, misses the FT that costs ND at least a tie. AND after Cox was lost and the Irish crawled back into the game, Baylor prevailed. Congrats to the Lady Bears. The Irish lose not only a game, not only a title, ND loses its ENTIRE team--if Young opts out. Great in every way.
I couldn't agree more. Despite losing a main cog on their team, Baylor still managed to pull out a well deserved win over those Irish lassies. The fact that Arike whose received so much credit for her heroics in key situations, blew the opportunity to send the game into overtime when people here had used her as what supposedly KLS wasn't, gives me joy. I know it's supposedly not nice to derive enjoyment from someone's shortcomings but I feel she got an exaggerated amount of credit for her exploits whereas our sweet Lou hasn't gotten nearly as much credit for her many great achievements and a bit too much criticism for her perceived shortcomings in key moments. The fact that the Irish will lose most, if not all their starters, suggests that the Irish might have some struggles coming soon and no one could be happier about that possibility.

Reaction Score
congratulations to baylor on a great season

on other side I really respect Muffets coaching acumen... she is good.... i can do without her final 4 platform to promote equal rights, to grouse about Geno's bullying and couple of years ago to complain that Pat's non presence in the game had caused lack of civility.... what is that muffet?

Reaction Score
The ND bias is disgusting. ND is the team clawing back and Baylor shoots ZERO FTs in the second half and 7 for the game? And, by the way, Cox was hip checked several times when she was injured. ND gets away with murder in the paint but don't breathe on them when they are shooting.
You better watch the replay. Shepard is moving into legitimate rebounding position as Cox moves with her. There is no hip check, Cox steps on Brown’s foot and her left knee caves inward. Classic ACL tear. Don’t make stuff up to support your bias.

Reaction Score
Was a terrific final four. Baylor deserved to win it all. Notre Dame showed why they have been a force all season, particularly in the 4th quarter. Arike had a stellar game despite the free throw miss. I wish we had held on to the lead in the semis! Our team will be back and ready for another great season and a better outcome.

Reaction Score
congratulations to baylor on a great season

on other side I really respect Muffets coaching acumen... she is good.... i can do without her final 4 platform to promote equal rights, to grouse about Geno's bullying and couple of years ago to complain that Pat's non presence in the game had caused lack of civility.... what is that muffet?
Yep. Muffet is one heck of a coach. That game was on the verge of being a blow out of epic proportions, but she got her team settled and they were quickly right back to within striking distance. If that game goes to OT, I think ND wins it easily.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more. Despite losing a main cog on their team, Baylor still managed to pull out a well deserved win over those Irish lassies. The fact that Arike whose received so much credit for her heroics in key situations, blew the opportunity to send the game into overtime when people here had used her as what supposedly KLS wasn't, gives me joy. I know it's supposedly not nice to derive enjoyment from someone's shortcomings but I feel she got an exaggerated amount of credit for her exploits whereas our sweet Lou hasn't gotten nearly as much credit for her many great achievements and a bit too much criticism for her perceived shortcomings in key moments. The fact that the Irish will lose most, if not all their starters, suggests that the Irish might have some struggles coming soon and no one could be happier about that possibility.

I think this is where the concept of Karma comes in. In both the games where Arike made the key last shot for the win, she really did not play that well before that last moment. In fact she played quite poorly. Yet she was given more credit than certain ND players who played great ball throughout keeping the team in the game so that last shot could win it for them. I totally agree that a players entire performance needs to be considered. Ironically in this last game Arika had a really good performance except for those game-ending free throws. Ironic how a players entire game is negated by a few seconds at the end of the game. Those few seconds defining you as a hero or goat.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yep. Muffet is one heck of a coach. That game was on the verge of being a blow out of epic proportions, but she got her team settled and they were quickly right back to within striking distance. If that game goes to OT, I think ND wins it easily.

Uhmm. The coaching. wasn't the difference. Something else happened.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Arike, the heartbreaker, misses the FT that costs ND at least a tie. AND after Cox was lost and the Irish crawled back into the game, Baylor prevailed. Congrats to the Lady Bears. The Irish lose not only a game, not only a title, ND loses its ENTIRE team--if Young opts out. Great in every way.
Failure to shake Geno's hand results in a one-point deduction. Everybody knows that.

Reaction Score
I only watched parts of the game. I was rooting against ND. So sorry to see an injury. Kinda glad to see ND overcome the deficit. Makes what happened in the UConn game a bit less horrible. I have trouble rooting for a player to miss a shot but I sure didn't want Arieke to have the hero shot again!

Reaction Score
Being there was a lot of fun. The only way this game could have been greater was if UConn had been part of it. Wonder how many times we’ll see Arike’s missed foul shot between now and next year?

Now you're talking. I would not mind if ESPN promotes WCBB, like it did this season, for next season's basketball season. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom