How did you first hear about the Boneyard? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How did you first hear about the Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
bathroom wall in Poughkeepsie
"For a good time read..."

I was on the Courant site and looked to get away from that mindless drivel. A poster there know as MAHUSKYFAN (who still post here under a different handle) suggested the Boneyard and now I get to read a much better class of mindless drivel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am praying that the two kids I talked to about the boneyard while hammered at the north outdoor basketball courts after a nickel night post on this thread. Would really make my day.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I hate those threads. It makes me feel really bad when I realize I previously have spent three hours thinking up a mean response that I then unleashed on a 9th grader.

I'm actually in 10th grade now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Enzo's kid? Can he fire a kiln?
I was just in Gampel the other day and, as big a fan as I am of the maestro, I have say the roof does look very bad. My understanding is that the failure to maintain Gampel at the recommended 92% humidity contributed greatly to the decline of the tiles.

Reaction Score
That halfwit Gary Davis mentioned the site in one of his ignorant ESPN comments. So I checked it out, guess I owe the bastard.

Reaction Score
Cool story. Started lurking around '98, probably through McD's site. Anywho, in 2000 my daughter was taking skating lessons at ISCC in Simsbury and I became pals with some of the parents hangin' around. One day after skating, me and another skating Dad head over to get the girls some pizza at the joint across the street. When we're done we get out to the parking lot and I see he has a 77-74 sticker on his car. Stopped me dead in my tracks. I say "Boneyard?". He sticks out his hand and says "Aussie Cuz". We're still friends. It was like a secret society back then.
7774_euro_oval_decal.jpg

Reaction Score
I think ALL things, with me, started with UConn Men's Basketball recruiting. There was that UConn weekly/Big East Briefs purchase; and lots of 900 phone calls (you could really ring up the dollars) for recruiting information back then; and then McDs too. In my meandering understanding of how things work: I think I saw Fishy and a handful of others put far more work into understanding who we were looking for (Hooper Scooper? I know these guys went to the Camps - before the Big AAU crap) than I ever would; then, I relaxed. My World became easier. The Ex divorced me anyway even though the phone bill came down.

I remember the Courant website. The early Web from Tom before Rivals. Rivals. UConn FB on Rivals started. Scout. Home here. Yeah ... it all started with about the time Kevin Freeman & & Rip Hamilton & Jake Voskuhl & Khalid El Amin showed up. KEA led to all of you ...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If RabidHusky is still alive, (he is), he's the poster with the longest tenure. If he's not, I might be.

The Courant had a site called the Husky Howl - it was threaded style message board. There were days in the offseason where you could go an entire weekend without a post because most folks had computer access from work and not home. I remember Deepster, Suzy, Deadrody from back in those days...I can probably think up some others with a lil time.

At some point, they switched the format and the growing mass of posters rebelled. They complained, the administrator said "suck it" and we left in mass. We went to a College Insider UConn message board and crushed their servers. We then went to another site and crushed their servers. And so on.

Then, guy named Frank, who still posts here, thought up the name Boneyard and the original URL, uconnfan.com. He set up a server, set up a board and we all migrated there. And all was well. But Frank had a job and a life and eventually morons other than the ones the board was intended for found the site and started to spoof poster's handles and post nonsense.

At some point thereafter, I got an email from someone I didn't know named Tom who said that he had set up a version of the board on his personal site and would I take a look at it. It was on a Pair Networks home page. Frank was nice enough to give us the name Boneyard and the URL. The two of us posted on it for a while and then sent word for the rest...and that worked for a while.

At some point, Pair became alerted to the massive traffic going to one of their customer's home pages and we were booted. We then went to an Earthlink server account. And then Net-something or other. And then someone else. We crushed servers along the way.

Then, in 2000, we received an email from the original nitwits at Rivals. Tom and I met them at HCC one afternoon before a UConn-Syracuse game and I marveled at Tom's ability to ask for the most ridiculous s--- without blushing and equally marveled at the Rivals' nitwit's ability to say yes without thinking about it. That was an early hint as to the ultimate viability of Rivals as a business. (Another hint...right after we signed, they were having a convention in Vegas and were willing to fly Tom and I out there and put us up at the Venetian for three or four days. Neither of us went because we are models of integrity.)

So, given the rising servers costs and general headaches, we went with Rivals. I think that lasted 18 months until they went bankrupt. Then we were on our own. And then back with Rivals. And then with Scout. And then not.

The bumper sticker version of the story is - I heard about the Boneyard a really long time ago.

Reaction Score
I was dealing with countless idiotic SJU trolls on an AOL board and an old Boneyarder who went by the name of JeffK recommended I check out the Boneyard or whatever the 1990-something incarnation was called. That was my last day on the AOL board and I was hooked on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I did a web search around 1997 and found a board dedicated solely to the UMass-UConn rivalry. It was something generic like b-ball.com that actually didn't even refer to the U-rivalry. That board is long gone, of course. It would be about as relevant these days as a board devoted to Ross Perot's presidential aspirations. Anyway, I put one post in talking smack to someone from UMass and a UConn guy said "welcome to the fray - come join us on the Boneyard."

Not sure what the bigger mistake was - his invitation or my acceptance. The acceptance led to many hours of non-productivity. The invitation led to a couple very poor rounds of golf, and an innocuous tongue in cheek post about Syracuse being plucky, which damaged relations between the two programs forever and probably cost us a spot in the ACC.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Started on the Mets Scout board in late 2004 or so (I remember stalking the site for updates right before Beltran signed... could have been there a year or so earlier but I can't recall).

I thought to myself... hey what's a really generic name I could use on this Mets board? MetsMMYY? So mets1090 was born. From there I stumbled to the UConn Scout board and the rest is history.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have been around since the Courant message board days. I think it was the Husky Howl or Husky Hardcores or something and I'd have to guess it was around 1995-96. The administrators of that board changed the format, people complained, they said "too bad" and Tom and Fishy basically went off built their own board and the Yard was the result. We bounced from server to server as we crashed sites every other week. It's funny to think of how, back then, we'd all email each other with the new link and over time, everyone would eventually find the new home and stagger back into the fold.

1995-96??? Geez. I really have spent a lot of time hanging around with you s.

Stuart Levine and Frank D'Angelo started the boneyard. They got the ball rolling. Not sure if one was the leader, or both were equal partners. But they came up with the name, and started the site.

Reaction Score
I think I have been lurking at least since before 97. I remember sending (small) donation checks I think to Fishy or Tom from a house I owned before 97. This was also via AOL.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Migrated over from the old whatever it was called

or

googled sites for old gays

Reaction Score
When twitter started getting popular in early 2009 there was a yahoo story about how UConn's players were some of the few college basketball guys on twitter. So I googled 'Jeff Adrien twitter' and one of the first links was a thread on the boneyard about his twitter feed.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Found it through the courant message board when it was pre-Rivals, probably 2001? Somebody once posted some archived pages from that board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom