How did you first hear about the Boneyard? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How did you first hear about the Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My brother told me about it. At the time, I was only aware of the UConn board on AOL.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I started on the Courant board. I think it was called Husky Hardcores. From that point on, I went along for the ride in all its variations..

Thats where I started as well. Remember laughing as I explained that bookmark to my parents as I was still living at home at the time.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know that I was on an AOL board for the 1999 championship.
And I know that I was on The Boneyard before Rivals (which I initially regarded w/suspicion that it was just a money-making sell-out that would move Tom & Fishy into the ranks of Mark Cuban).
But I have no recollection as to how I got from one to the other or when, or how I even heard about it, or even what my post-AOL name was originally, though the transitions since then have always had an interesting sense of intrigue.

Fwiw, other than randomly wandering into occasional forums related to tech/music/cultural history/automotive topics generally by way of Google searches, I have never joined or meaningfully (?) participated in any other message boards.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, that rings a bell. The courant board was fine until they decided to go to a hidden conversation style format where you couldn't see individual messages at a glance.

Ahh....the nomadic years.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Found it when somebody linked a Daily Campus article of mine here back in '98 or so. Lurked for years, then when my dad passed I had no one to talk UConn hoops with on a daily basis.

So now I have you a**holes.

Reaction Score
For a while in the first years of the 2000s (when my mom got over her fear of Y2K and allowed us to get a computer), my father was a huge lurker at the Rivals board, and used to always tell me things he found on The Boneyard. He was old and didn't know how to use the internet, so at first I thought it was a site or something. When I learned it was a devoted UConn message board, I made fun of him. He would tell me something he learned here and I would ask him how much we should trust a bunch of dopes on the internet. Turns out I was smarter in high school. :)

I started at the ESPN board back in Fall 2002. I remember another poster there (@dsturdy5 ?). Annoying BC posters more or less made me look for a new home, and I found it through my father. It was right when we were trying to get Rudy Gay, and carried through until now.

Reaction Score
My roommate and I got recommended the BY by some members of the goal patrol at a men's soccer game. We purely lurked for a long time, then made the mistake of making accounts.

Found it when somebody linked a Daily Campus article of mine here back in '98 or so. Lurked for years, then when my dad passed I had no one to talk UConn hoops with on a daily basis.

So now I have you a**holes.
Feel free to call me daddy.

(That was borderline insensitive, not trying to offend)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I have been around since the Courant message board days. I think it was the Husky Howl or Husky Hardcores or something and I'd have to guess it was around 1995-96. The administrators of that board changed the format, people complained, they said "too bad" and Tom and Fishy basically went off built their own board and the Yard was the result. We bounced from server to server as we crashed sites every other week. It's funny to think of how, back then, we'd all email each other with the new link and over time, everyone would eventually find the new home and stagger back into the fold.

1995-96??? Geez. I really have spent a lot of time hanging around with you s.
That's where I got my start as well. Twenty fricken years??? Wow.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
We should start a "How old are you?" thread because now I'm curious.

Reaction Score
I hate those threads. It makes me feel really bad when I realize I previously have spent three hours thinking up a mean response that I then unleashed on a 9th grader.
Hey, Boeheim publicly tears up kids around that age.

Reaction Score
Found it at least 15 years ago. Some really good posters back then but the site wasn't nearly as slick as it is today. This is our resting place after Tom moved from the site to Rivals, then to Scout and now to this location.
I joined back around 2003-2004 when they were still on Rivals, and then remember them moving to scout for a short period and now this new iteration. I think I was googling something about recruiting at the time. It was nice to share on the site my brother's and I first Final Four in 2004(great memories). We have since been to four of them. Too bad I didn't know about this board back when we first won it in 99.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I used to visit McDs a lot around 98 & 99 and then it fell off. Not sure I ever picked up on the 'Yard at that time. Husky Hardcores does sound a bit familiar though.

Does anyone remember when the site transitioned over to Scout? I believe I had found it just before the transition, and then for a while both sites were active. That's when I really started lurking. Didn't really post much until later.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I used to be on the AOL Philadelphia Eagles site. I got tired of getting cyber bullied , spit on and stabbed over there . It was a good move on my part because I figured I can get the same things here without spending all that gas money

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I joined back around 2003-2004 when they were still on Rivals, and then remember them moving to scout for a short period and now this new iteration. I think I was googling something about recruiting at the time. It was nice to share on the site my brother's and I first Final Four in 2004(great memories). We have since been to four of them. Too bad I didn't know about this board back when we first won it in 99.
Same! Hence the Third Incarnation!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
yes
I started on the Courant board. I think it was called Husky Hardcores. From that point on, I went along for the ride in all its variations..
…that is how I got started as well (c. 1996)…there was no Google back then!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Back in 1998 my buddy Tony Patoni told me to check out this McD's UConn site. There was a Chat Room link for The Boneyard. I lurked for a week. Just a week.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Summer of 1998. Was on the Courant site but mostly on the old Big East message boards. Some one mentioned the Boneyard and I've been her since.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Lurked for awhile, got involved at UConnBall. Then migrated here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom