How about Sid? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

How about Sid?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I went back and rewatched Sid’s 8 minutes. He never once got into a defensive stance. He did not cut hard one time but jogged to the corner. Twice his man scored layups when Sid turned his back He never once crashed the boards for a rebound. Once when Polly was fighting for a rebound Sid turned around and the ball landed behind him. If he had just continued watching Polly fight he would of had the ball. On offense he predominantly stood casually in the corner never calling for the ball or sliding to a more advantageous position.

This game was ostensibly a bridge game to keep players sharp. DH split the minutes fairly evenly so everyone would get some work in. It was a great opportunity for Sid to show some effort. He didn’t and a tremendous athlete is possibly sabotage his own career.

I’m just an old guy watching TV, but watching Sid was depressing.

Reaction Score
Until Sid becomes deAndre Daniels he isn't stealing minutes from anyone.

Hasn't shown he will do what it takes to be DD. He's been here 3 years and he hasn't committed to improving his shot. This is not the first time DH has talked about what Sid needs to do.

Reaction Score
He got beat on a back door he was slow on soon after he checked in. Agree with all of the above he's not engaged as someone who is vying for minutes should be. Don't like to predict things but unless he changes his attitude there could be another scholly available for '20. He doesn't seem to be very happy and we know DH knows this.

Reaction Score
He got beat on a back door he was slow on soon after he checked in. Agree with all of the above he's not engaged as someone who is vying for minutes should be. Don't like to predict things but unless he changes his attitude there could be another scholly available for '20. He doesn't seem to be very happy and we know DH knows this.

Next year, hopefully, we will have 13 scholarship players available. That means that at least 3 aren't going to get meaningful minutes, and that the 9 or 10 who are are going to have to not just not hurt the team when in but help it more than others. With no forwards or centers leaving, and a 3 and a 5 coming in, there will not be minutes for Sid unless he makes far more of a positive impact than he's currently making when on the floor.

Reaction Score
Next year, hopefully, we will have 13 scholarship players available. That means that at least 3 aren't going to get meaningful minutes, and that the 9 or 10 who are are going to have to not just not hurt the team when in but help it more than others. With no forwards or centers leaving, and a 3 and a 5 coming in, there will not be minutes for Sid unless he makes far more of a positive impact than he's currently making when on the floor.

Of all of the KO holdovers, he's probably the one who most fit the previous regime's style -- athletic wing who can supposedly do a little of everything but in practice doesn't do anything well enough (Larrier 2.0) -- and least fits with Hurley's style.

Hurley himself said that he doesn't have an identity on the offensive end. He's not a shooter, he's not a ballhandler, he's not a slasher. What does he bring? The best comparison I can think of is Marcus Johnson, except not quite as impactful on defense.

C

Chief00

Akok has raised the bar. This kid is a serious dude. I saw a couple of passes last game that impressed me. He keeps expanding his game. Additionally, Akok is aligned with his coaching staff in what they are trying to accomplish. His blocks are impressive and plant seeds in his opponent’s heads.

Reaction Score
Majok Ajou Wrenn Marcus Johnson it ain’t easy being green, I mean living up to the hype

Reaction Score
Of all of the KO holdovers, he's probably the one who most fit the previous regime's style -- athletic wing who can supposedly do a little of everything but in practice doesn't do anything well enough (Larrier 2.0) -- and least fits with Hurley's style.

Hurley himself said that he doesn't have an identity on the offensive end. He's not a shooter, he's not a ballhandler, he's not a slasher. What does he bring? The best comparison I can think of is Marcus Johnson, except not quite as impactful on defense.

Hurley recruited him hard at uri. Athletic 3s and 4s with the ability to block shots and Hurley's bread and butter. Sid fits exactly what Hurley wants--he just isn't in it mentally.

Reaction Score
His sheer athleticism means he will have flashes at times but I don’t see him being more than a fill in here ever.

Reaction Score
Hurley recruited him hard at uri. Athletic 3s and 4s with the ability to block shots and Hurley's bread and butter. Sid fits exactly what Hurley wants--he just isn't in it mentally.
Sid's athletic but he's not very good at basketball.

Reaction Score

That also isn't my point. The idea that Sid while being recruited didn't fit Hurley's system is completely wrong. is the point I'm making.

Reaction Score

He's a 6'5 Brimah. There's a lot more need for a 7' Brimah than a 6'5 same type of player. Natural instincts just not there for the game and once again makes it very difficult to be consistent or really good in any way. But I will throw that comparison out the window when it comes to effort because he is not even close to Amida in that sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm not sure who's fault it is, probably Sid's but maybe not entirely. When I talk about motion and the kind of offense Sid can flourish in, I'm talking about him doing exactly what Tatum did on this play. I want to see that from Polley, Akok and Adams as well. And next year from Jackson (although I envision him in the Hayward role on this play). When AG gets to the foul line the wings need to do this.

Reaction Score

Gotta disagree here. Look at Brendan Adams productivity relative to Sid's. Sid doesn't fit what Hurley wants despite being very athletic. It's not just mental, it's a lack of any sort of distinct skill set. As mentioned above, what is it on offense that Sid does really well?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure who's fault it is, probably Sid's but maybe not entirely. When I talk about motion and the kind of offense Sid can flourish in, I'm talking about him doing exactly what Tatum did on this play. I want to see that from Polley, Akok and Adams as well. And next year from Jackson (although I envision him in the Hayward role on this play). When AG gets to the foul line the wings need to do this.

The reason that play works is because hayward and tatum are both 3 level scorers and have the ability to handle the ball. Sid does not have those skills. Or any ofensive skills.

Hurley will draw him plays of he demonstrates that he has the ability to make decisions are game speed and that he has improved his skill level to compete with his younger teammates.

Reaction Score
Gotta disagree here. Look at Brendan Adams productivity relative to Sid's. Sid doesn't fit what Hurley wants despite being very athletic. It's not just mental, it's a lack of any sort of distinct skill set. As mentioned above, what is it on offense that Sid does really well?

By mentally I mean he doesn't have the mentality to get better. Adams is a grinder. Same with Akok. Mentally they are desperate to improve and to win.

I know for a fact both those guys bust their butts in the gym. Sid does not. I have heard rumors and Hurley all but confirmed them.

Reaction Score
Has seem a little lost and indecisive since his mom died - committing to St John's to be close to home then changing his mind on that. Coming to UConn and sitting a year. Coaching change. Lots going on outside of basketball.

C

Chief00

Has seem a little lost and indecisive since his mom died - committing to St John's to be close to home then changing his mind on that. Coming to UConn and sitting a year. Coaching change. Lots going on outside of basketball.
Unfortunately, college careers are short. He’s been on campus 2.5 years, although that’s not entirely true because he went home during the summer when other dudes stayed, improved their game and got stronger. I guess that actually sums it up.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, college careers are short. He’s been on campus 2.5 years, although that’s not entirely true because he went home during the summer when other dudes stayed, improved their game and got stronger. I guess that actually sums it up.
Not going out of my way to correct this, but I think Sid Wilson was here this summer working hard with his teammates. Dude is getting beat on enough in the Boneyard, I would rather have his back and hope he turns the corner this year.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Just because Hurley recruited him at URI doesn't automatically confer basketball ability. All coaches make recruiting errors. Yes, even Calhoun did. You see a future something in a kid that never materializes. It happens.

Personally I prefer athletic 3's and 4's who can knock down shots, not only dunks, and play hard on defense all the time.

Reaction Score
Just because Hurley recruited him at URI doesn't automatically confer basketball ability. All coaches make recruiting errors. Yes, even Calhoun did. You see a future something in a kid that never materializes. It happens.

Personally I prefer athletic 3's and 4's who can knock down shots, not only dunks, and play hard on defense all the time.

I was replying to someone who said Sid is just an Ollie player, or something along those lines, when that isn't true. Hurley wanted Sid too--something went wrong with the kid's development.

Reaction Score
I was replying to someone who said Sid is just an Ollie player, or something along those lines, when that isn't true. Hurley wanted Sid too--something went wrong with the kid's development.

Jelly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom