How about Sid? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

How about Sid?

Reaction Score
Hurley is saying exactly what I have been saying for a long time. Sid is an athlete with no discernable skill set on the offensive end. He needs to be very good at something to get minutes on a team with lots of talent. The price of poker went up with talented guys like Gaffney, Bouknight and Akok in the mix.

Agree. Needs to be committed in practice but more importantly needs to have a gym rat mentality and work on his game. Specifically his shot.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Have to say I really like what Hurley's doing here. Without a push it seems like we could see four years of Sid playing like he currently is: offering useful things based on elite athleticism but too complacent and too under-developed skill-wise to hold down consistent, important minutes.

This (minutes reduction and public comments) is definitely going to make Sid uncomfortable and could motivate him to be more assertive on the court and in his own development, which is what is necessary for him to really getting any professional value out of basketball and for him to have a really impact on the program.

Reaction Score
And if you believe that, I feel bad for you. You don't go from playing a guy 12 minutes a game over the last 5 games to a DNP yesterday for no specific reason. There has to be more to the story, but Coach Hurley has chosen to keep it internal.

By the way, do you believe in the Easter Bunny, too?

Don't feel bad, save the attempted insult and recognize there was a reason I underlined the last part of his quote.
And the Easter Bunny always brings me chocolate covered marshmallow easter eggs so why wouldn't I believe in him/her?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Sid got 8 forgettable minutes today. Looked lost of offense and defense. I believe the El Sid era is over unless something happens to shake him up.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I've always been a big Sid fan. I've always felt if he puts it together, he could be special.

That being said, he looked lost in the 8 minutes he was out there. Standing in the corner on offense, not knowing what to do on D. It was sad.

He only got 21 minutes in the last three blowouts (13, 0, 8) going 0-2 shooting. Things don't look good for him.

Reaction Score
Sid would be great in an up and down track meet. That isn't the identity of this team though.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Sid would be great in an up and down track meet. That isn't the identity of this team though.
Yeah that's what he would need. No defense, no offense. Just run and gun. Sounds like AAU ball.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've always been a big Sid fan. I've always felt if he puts it together, he could be special.

That being said, he looked lost in the 8 minutes he was out there. Standing in the corner on offense, not knowing what to do on D. It was sad.

He only got 21 minutes in the last three blowouts (13, 0, 8) going 0-2 shooting. Things don't look good for him.

I was paying more attention to the Patriots game, but he seemed to rebound well. I feel like Sid is a guy who isn’t being used in this scheme. That lob thread is an example, run several plays a game with Sid and Akok cutting diagonally to the rim and they would score.

So, yes, he’s disappointing. His skills have not improved as they should have by now. But I don’t think we are doing our best to put him in position to succeed. Sure he stood in the corner, the way all our players do. That’s on Hurley. Stop running that 5 out offense without the players that can make it work. Sid should be flashing across the baseline constantly.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I was paying more attention to the Patriots game, but he seemed to rebound well. I feel like Sid is a guy who isn’t being used in this scheme. That lob thread is an example, run several plays a game with Sid and Akok cutting diagonally to the rim and they would score.

So, yes, he’s disappointing. His skills have not improved as they should have by now. But I don’t think we are doing our best to put him in position to succeed. Sure he stood in the corner, the way all our players do. That’s on Hurley. Stop running that 5 out offense without the players that can make it work. Sid should be flashing across the baseline constantly.

Yeah, maybe if they stopped trying to win games for the benefit of showcasing a player or two...

It is possible that Wilson just hasn't bought in to the scheme as others have. Why is that on Hurley? The rotation at the moments is very guard heavy (who are quite productive), with Whaley spelling the front court. I think it is up to Wilson to break into that. Not the other way around.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe if they stopped trying to win games for the benefit of showcasing a player or two...

It is possible that Wilson just hasn't bought in to the scheme as others have. Why is that on Hurley? The rotation at the moments is very guard heavy (who are quite productive), with Whaley spelling the front court. I think it is up to Wilson to break into that. Not the other way around.

Bah. We'd win more games if we stopped trying to do everything from outside. It's a losing formula against good teams as we saw vs. IU. Bigs don't score on their own, they need to receive the ball. And when your offense calls for a non outside-shooting big to stand outside then he has no chance to be productive on offense.

I'm not saying Sid can't do more and play better. He definitely can. But like Carlton, he can't do it unless the offense involves him.

Reaction Score
Sid is an aau player. And a very good athlete. The problem he has is the he no longer can out athletic the guys on the other team. Every year there seems to be a player that people decide is better than the evidence indicates. Sid is the 2019-2020 example.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bah. We'd win more games if we stopped trying to do everything from outside. It's a losing formula against good teams as we saw vs. IU. Bigs don't score on their own, they need to receive the ball. And when your offense calls for a non outside-shooting big to stand outside then he has no chance to be productive on offense.

I'm not saying Sid can't do more and play better. He definitely can. But like Carlton, he can't do it unless the offense involves him.

Carlton flashes to the top of the key for a pick and hand off to start the offense but it looks like he was focused on being closer to the basket more. At 6-7, Wilson would be one of the 4 on the outside. He had a rebound yesterday when he first got into the game, but not too much after that.

Wilson went from starting 6 games and averaging nearly 19 minutes as a RSFr to a DNPCD and mop up time vs. team just to this side of the D1/D2 relegation line. Wilson is in the doghouse. It is what it is, but it's not as if Hurley hasn't made his path to escape known. Seems to be up to Wilson to show him in (and out of, evidently.) practice.

Separate question; but related: From whom would Wilson take minutes? Bouk and Gaffney (who is becoming my favorite player) are getting sixth man minutes, and rightfully so and Adams is proving himself worthy. Wilson's size suggests stretch 4 at best and Springs' redshirt leaves Whaley as the only somewhat capable backup big man with length.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Carlton flashes to the top of the key for a pick and hand off to start the offense but it looks like he was focused on being closer to the basket more. At 6-7, Wilson would be one of the 4 on the outside. He had a rebound yesterday when he first got into the game, but not too much after that.

Wilson went from starting 6 games and averaging nearly 19 minutes as a RSFr to a DNPCD and mop up time vs. team just to this side of the D1/D2 relegation line. Wilson is in the doghouse. It is what it is, but it's not as if Hurley hasn't made his path to escape known. Seems to be up to Wilson to show him in (and out of, evidently.) practice.

Separate question; but related: From whom would Wilson take minutes? Bouk and Gaffney (who is becoming my favorite player) are getting sixth man minutes, and rightfully so and Adams is proving himself worthy. Wilson's size suggests stretch 4 at best and Springs' redshirt leaves Whaley as the only somewhat capable backup big man with length.

Until Sid becomes deAndre Daniels he isn't stealing minutes from anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom