How about Sid? | The Boneyard

How about Sid?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Came in very highly regarded (probably a little too highly) and was underwhelming last year and is kinda burried in the depth chart right now but when he comes in for a few minutes he is so active and plays incredibly hard. We were on the brink of IU completely taking over halfway through the second half and he had a solo 5-0 run to tie it back up. He looks much stronger and more confident.
He’s in a tough spot though because he doesn’t have that one thing he excels at (Polley’s three point shooting) that demands playing time. I’d love to see him get more time but it’s hard to see where those minutes will come from. Just kinda stinks we’re not really utilizing him.

pj

Reaction Score
Came in very highly regarded (probably a little too highly) and was underwhelming last year and is kinda burried in the depth chart right now but when he comes in for a few minutes he is so active and plays incredibly hard. We were on the brink of IU completely taking over halfway through the second half and he had a solo 5-0 run to tie it back up. He looks much stronger and more confident.
He’s in a tough spot though because he doesn’t have that one thing he excels at (Polley’s three point shooting) that demands playing time. I’d love to see him get more time but it’s hard to see where those minutes will come from. Just kinda stinks we’re not really utilizing him.

The coaches will find a way to get him some time. If nothing else, he'll be the energy guy the coaches sub in whenever the other guys need a lesson on the bench. That alone can be a lot of minutes.

Reaction Score
The move from the 3 to the 4 has been critical for him. "The closer to the basket he plays, the less time and chance he has to make poor decisions.

I'm thrilled for him that he's found a way to contribute, but I'm not at all convinced that asking him to do more is a good formula for success. Hopefully it is next year because he has athletic talent.

Reaction Score
Unless he expands his skills outside of the paint area, he'll be a pure energy guy. He kept us in the game last night with his energy.

Reminds me of a Roscoe Smith to be honest - except I hope he stays all 4 years and averages a double double like he did as a senior at UNLV.

Reaction Score
Sid has had a good season so far. He has played well defensively at the 4 and he even did a good job playing emergency center in the Xavier game. He’s not getting much time because hurley understandably wants more shooting on the court since we are not very good in the half court but it may be time to give him some more minutes. I’d like to see him in a lineup with akok and Bouknight to anchor an ultra-athletic lineup.

Reaction Score
Sid has had a good season so far. He has played well defensively at the 4 and he even did a good job playing emergency center in the Xavier game. He’s not getting much time because hurley understandably wants more shooting on the court since we are not very good in the half court but it may be time to give him some more minutes. I’d like to see him in a lineup with akok and Bouknight to anchor an ultra-athletic lineup.
The 4 best players last night were Akok, Carlton, Polley and Sid. Sid brought great energy with that old fashioned 3 and big dunk. I for one want to see more of him and Bouk and less of the guys we’ve seen lose games at crunch time for 4 years.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
1. Gilbert has to be on the court a lot for the ball security. He is the only real '1' on the team. But Hurley needs to make him aware that he is a floor general and distributor. Break down the D for others on the floor to do the scoring.
2. Akok, Carlton and Polley played their roles well, Wilson also in his minutes was solid.
3. If this team is to go anywhere in this year's conference schedule Bouknight, Adams, and Gaffney need to step up, and we will need a judicious 5-10 usable minutes (at times) from Whaley to rest Carlton. Against most teams those are our only 5's.
4. Vital? Gotta monitor him, and I don't think you can trust him late in close games.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He Is absolutely one of the worst offensive skilled players I've ever seen here and all round hes not a very skilled player. Whoever were his coaches in high school really did him a disservice by just letting him use his athleticism to play basketball instead of teaching him how to play basketball.
I think he should spend the summer working on his ball handling and slashing to the basket. That would be his best option at this point. Of course also work on a jump shot so the defender has to respect it enough to not just hang back to keep him from driving. He does this and he could be a decent player for us.
So you like his game.

Reaction Score
What was he doing the past two summers? Especially this past summer. Confusing that he’s developing so slowly
Remember, one of those summers was spent in the Kevin Ollie Development Machine. He had one summer essentially to develop.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The OP seems to be on a misguided mission. Ignore.

Reaction Score
What was he doing the past two summers? Especially this past summer. Confusing that he’s developing so slowly
I appreciate the kid and all the effort he’s putting out, but what did he do this past summer knowing his playing time could be shortened? Like any sport from little kids on up to the pro level you have to earn your spot and playing time. He’s possibly playing on what he’s earned.....I like the kid and all but he needs to earn his PT

Reaction Score
Where was the other spent???
Under Hurley, but my point is development was virtually non existent under KO and Co that the kid only had one off season under good coaching. Why are so many of you so harsh towards Sid anyway? I think he provided a great spark last game and has been a nice rotation piece this year. He’s averaging 13 and 8 per 40 minutes. Cut the kid some slack.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Under Hurley, but my point is development was virtually non existent under KO and Co that the kid only had one off season under good coaching. Why are so many of you so harsh towards Sid anyway? I think he provided a great spark last game and has been a nice rotation piece this year. He’s averaging 13 and 8 per 40 minutes. Cut the kid some slack.

Hurley came in the spring of 2018, so SW has had two off seasons of good coaching. The first one seemed to do nothing for him, based on how he played last year, but he sure has shown improvement this year.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
With his vertical, a mid range jump shot should be a lock. I think offensively he could have been another Rip. Slash to 12-15 feet, elevate, nothing but net.

Reaction Score
With his vertical, a mid range jump shot should be a lock. I think offensively he could have been another Rip. Slash to 12-15 feet, elevate, nothing but net.

Tell that to Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Reaction Score
I'd just give a chance to develop still. I think one of the reasons we haven't seen a lot in the development of big men the last 5-6 years is the lack of having multiple skilled big men to compete against in practice. I think this is part of the reason why Carlton is still inconsistent. Hopefully, with Wilson, Akok, Carlton, Springs and next year Javonte Brown Ferguson, they'll push each other and each other better.
Sid still has time and a unique raw skill set to be special. He sounds coachable. I still think he will be pretty darn good by the end of his time at UConn.

Reaction Score
Sid is physically gifted and we hope he develops but we saw just a few minutes of good play from him and one posters comparison that he coulda been like Rip is mind boggling with what we’ve seen from him last 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
I would love to see UConn run a far more uptempo offense in which Sid could get lots of minutes and really contribute. Along with Bouk, Akok, and Adams there would be plenty of Sid highlights that would pump up the crowd and wear other teams down with our depth. Run mofos, run.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
BDB30526-3169-4B66-970A-3D3985D8F4BB.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member