Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
did you get dropped on your head as a toddler?

We protect Basketball. We don't fly all over for sports beyond Football. Our Fanbase is engaged - plus MSG. And the Dream scenario is games with Boise. or Kansas State or Pokes. Nothing. Id drive to West Point; that's a solid weekend game.

Reaction Score
No one was questioning basketball in the AAC when we won the National Title. Neither football nor the AAC was killing us. Losing was killing us. This is a front-running, fairweather fanbase. You start stringing together losing seasons and the dozen pro teams surrounding the state become much mor important.

Reaction Score
did you get dropped on your head as a toddler?

We protect Basketball. We don't fly all over for sports beyond Football. Our Fanbase is engaged - plus MSG. And the Dream scenario is games with Boise. or Kansas State or Pokes. Nothing. Id drive to West Point; that's a solid weekend game.
It is a Pyrrhic victory sadly. We are in a regional league when regional leagues are small time. It fine. Most UConn fans seem happy. We are most likely going to the tournament most years because, well, we have more and better facilities than the rest and deeper pockets. But the days of winning national championships. Those are over. But again most UConn fans are happy winning the NEWBIE championship. It’s great. It isn’t what we used to aspire to a decade ago, but it’s nice.

And our teams really never travelled all over the country because of the AAC. Basketball did. And still kinda does when you consider Cincinatti Chicago, Indianapolis Milwaukee aren’t exactly easy drives. The days of dual meets in track and swimming and such are over. Have been since oh1985 or so. Now everything is large invitationals and regional meets. Only one conference championship. Baseball does probably as much as before but after the conference portion of the season starts they play a bunch of glorified high school teams. Our RPI was like 25 the next highest was around 100. Laughable competition.

You don’t realize it, but you and others with your outlook, are pushing for a return to the Yankee Conference. Not literally of course. But that kind of mentality. Ooo, basketball got to the tourney. Wow, the football team gets to play Michigan. No thought that either team has a shot to win . Like going to Notre Dame or beating Duke. Not the outlook any longer

Reaction Score
It is a Pyrrhic victory sadly. We are in a regional league when regional leagues are small time. It fine. Most UConn fans seem happy. We are most likely going to the tournament most years because, well, we have more and better facilities than the rest and deeper pockets. But the days of winning national championships. Those are over. But again most UConn fans are happy winning the NEWBIE championship. It’s great. It isn’t what we used to aspire to a decade ago, but it’s nice.

And our teams really never travelled all over the country because of the AAC. Basketball did. And still kinda does when you consider Cincinatti Chicago, Indianapolis Milwaukee aren’t exactly easy drives. The days of dual meets in track and swimming and such are over. Have been since oh1985 or so. Now everything is large invitationals and regional meets. Only one conference championship. Baseball does probably as much as before but after the conference portion of the season starts they play a bunch of glorified high school teams. Our RPI was like 25 the next highest was around 100. Laughable competition.

You don’t realize it, but you and others with your outlook, are pushing for a return to the Yankee Conference. Not literally of course. But that kind of mentality. Ooo, basketball got to the tourney. Wow, the football team gets to play Michigan. No thought that either team has a shot to win . Like going to Notre Dame or beating Duke. Not the outlook any longer
Yeah nobody wins National Championships in the NBE.

Reaction Score
Yeah nobody wins National Championships in the NBE.
Now THAT is a straw man. Villanova is to the NEW IE what Gonzaga is to its conference. Head and shoulders better. If you look at their conference record, the fact that they have won or shared every NEWBIE regular season got to the championship game 6 of 7 years, are only one of 3 teams to get past the first weekend. The othersXavier and Creighton did it once each. Yeah they are really really good. Ask yourself who else is even close?

Reaction Score
Now THAT is a straw man. Villanova is to the NEW IE what Gonzaga is to its conference. Head and shoulders better. If you look at their conference record, the fact that they have won or shared every NEWBIE regular season got to the championship game 6 of 7 years, are only one of 3 teams to get past the first weekend. The othersXavier and Creighton did it once each. Yeah they are really really good. Ask yourself who else is even close?
UConn

Reaction Score
Technically, the NBE covers the same space as the Big Ten, besides Iowa and Minnesota and have 2 schools in New England and are relevant in the northeast. So we're not losing all that much, unless we're invited to the Big Ten and said no.

Reaction Score
I could be reading this tweet incorrectly, but the way I see it is ESPN will absorb the exit fees with their already agreed upon contract for the Longhorn Network to allow Texas and Oklahoma to enter the SEC, now also an ESPN entity. They’re not leaving the Disney family.
I only meant that Texas wouldn’t see that $150mill for the Longhorn network.

Reaction Score
I'm so glad that you take the time to respond to the various threads, offering your insight and opinion on so many topics.... you're so special.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Nobody was going to AAC games in Gampel. The XL's most popular games came against old Big East foes. We literally got off on the last lifeboat.
we won the title in the very first year. It was a roster constructed in the BE.

Reaction Score

B1G may be next on the clock...
IMO B1G and PAC12 should just merge altogether, barring AAU conflicts with some schools within the PAC12.

Reaction Score
Look, FS isn’t totally wrong here. His points are vastly overstated, and his tone is absurd, but he’s not totally wrong. Our position as a member of the NBE and an independent as football does not make it as easy to compete for national championships in basketball every year, or to beat a Notre Dame or South Carolina or Pitt in football, as when we were in the Big East we left. Plus, it does leave us with the very real risk that we are on the outside looking in of a power conference breakaway.

On the other hand, staying in the AAC did not put us in the position to compete for national championships in basketball every year either, or to play football at a level that people seemed to care about. Was the move to the Big East a good thing? Yes, with the single caveat that if it sets football back to where we would no longer be looked at in a power school breakaway, no. But those were are only alternatives. Would I rather be in the Big Ten or ACC? Heck yes. But those were never choices available to us.

However, where FS’s position needs to be taken more seriously would be IF we were invited for all sports to join a league with the remnants of the Big XII combined with the best eastern schools from the AAC. I would not rule that out without really having numbers. If that is worse for hoops but better for football. — if, just making up numbers, it paid $20M a year compared to the $8M we’re getting now, and has us playing WVU, Temple, Navy and Cincy annually — it would have to be looked at. Because as I have said before, I still would not bet my life that the top power schools won’t break away totally in my lifetime. And ultimately, being a power school will require money.

Reaction Score
if, just making up numbers, it paid $20M a year compared to the $8M we’re getting now, and has us playing WVU, Temple, Navy and Cincy annually — it would have to be looked at.

if this were to happen, we would be lucky and should say yes. Plus we would also rotate through Baylor, OKSU, etc. I’d like to see Kanas included for basketball.

Reaction Score
if this were to happen, we would be lucky and should say yes. Plus we would also rotate through Baylor, OKSU, etc. I’d like to see Kanas included for basketball.
The NBE move, as many argued, was a quick sugar high, but is ultimately unsustainable unless the plan is to wipe out athletics and become a glorified version of a Catholic school. It could be very shrewd if the idea is to rebuild BB quickly as an asset to help get us to a major conference. Going independent also makes sense if the plan is to get some brands on the schedule to raise our football credibility. As a top 25 public university, state flagship with 32,000, and a top 35 media market, with one of highest HHIs in the country, it’s ludicrous to remain in the NBE collecting $5 Million(or whatever the number is). It is imperative we move to access more revenue. Dave can’t say that, but any reasonably financially astute person can see the long term problem. So, if that is method to the madness is NBE plus FB independence to get our asset value up to move, it’s a pretty genius path.

Reaction Score
How do you come up with $8M currently?
There was a rumor that ESPN was going to post OU and Texas buyout from the Big 12. We would need something similar to get out of the Big East so soon. Even if it was under an agreement to take a smaller payout till the buyout was paid off.

Reaction Score
However, where FS’s position needs to be taken more seriously would be IF we were invited for all sports to join a league with the remnants of the Big XII combined with the best eastern schools from the AAC. I would not rule that out without really having numbers. If that is worse for hoops but better for football. — if, just making up numbers, it paid $20M a year compared to the $8M we’re getting now, and has us playing WVU, Temple, Navy and Cincy annually — it would have to be looked at. Because as I have said before, I still would not bet my life that the top power schools won’t break away totally in my lifetime. And ultimately, being a power school will require money.
There is no universe where this exists. It has already been reported B12 less OU and UT gets $9-12 million a year. Add AAC remnants and it doesn't change that number at all.

So still getting peanuts to pay even more money than before in travel costs. On top the fact whatever version of the Big 12 survives will likely only exist in the same way the AAC does today: everyone trying to leave for greener pastures. It won't be a stable institution and it won't be in the P5.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There was a rumor that ESPN was going to post OU and Texas buyout from the Big 12. We would need something similar to get out of the Big East so soon. Even if it was under an agreement to take a smaller payout till the buyout was paid off.
Meh It’s $30M for the next five years, drops to $15M for the next 3 years and then drops to $10M. Not an issue.

What is an issue is finding us our “forever home.” I’m not sure that we bring sufficient money to justify us joining any of the big four conferences. We can’t take a chance on a transient home like the big 12 leftovers, because once we leave the Big East we’re not getting back in.

Reaction Score
Look, FS isn’t totally wrong here. His points are vastly overstated, and his tone is absurd, but he’s not totally wrong. Our position as a member of the NBE and an independent as football does not make it as easy to compete for national championships in basketball every year, or to beat a Notre Dame or South Carolina or Pitt in football, as when we were in the Big East we left. Plus, it does leave us with the very real risk that we are on the outside looking in of a power conference breakaway.

On the other hand, staying in the AAC did not put us in the position to compete for national championships in basketball every year either, or to play football at a level that people seemed to care about. Was the move to the Big East a good thing? Yes, with the single caveat that if it sets football back to where we would no longer be looked at in a power school breakaway, no. But those were are only alternatives. Would I rather be in the Big Ten or ACC? Heck yes. But those were never choices available to us.

In Life ... you learn the best lessons through some emotionally disturbing adversity and tough times.

WE - UCONN fans - learned that we cannot chase this Football thing to the nether-reaches of Texas. We lost our soul. The sweaty fieldhouse is us. We may play in Gampel and XL; but, we are still the core slugs who loved these kids developing in a environment that was meaningful. Competing with neighbors that we knew. We, in the AAC, lost the faaaanbase. I bet few of us woke to watch Saturday's game with Tulsa. Hurley has returned us to a fiery love of hoop ... and I think we love to reflect that coach - which is why we burned through the Calhoun years. We may have a conference move coming.

This B12 thing is everything we knew was coming; it is so predictable. AND ... when they get to pushing out 40 more of the 130 FBS universities to have ... the SuperChampions CFB conference ... the AAC may morph into a 24 team National. And our conference schedule will be Army, Navy, Temple, Maryland ... and then Fresno. I do believe the CFB world is gonna break up to oligarchs and the unwashed ... and then we will have opportunity.

Then the poobahs will flush it all again.

Reaction Score
Meh It’s $30M for the next five years, drops to $15M for the next 3 years and then drops to $10M. Not an issue.

What is an issue is finding us our “forever home.” I’m not sure that we bring sufficient money to justify us joining any of the big four conferences. We can’t take a chance on a transient home like the big 12 leftovers, because once we leave the Big East we’re not getting back in.
I think 30 million for our AD is an issue, but you're correct for right forever home that money will be found and the Big 12 leftovers don't seem like the correct forever home. It still feels like the ACC and i do think we add $ value to their ACC network on par with what anyone else could offer outside of ND.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom