Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score

More and more relieved that UConn is Big East/Independent by the second. This drama is hack s***.

This is what happens when overpaid suits attain too much power and justify their jobs by any means "necessary." This was always inevitable.

All UConn has to worry about is UConn. Good grief, and riddance, to this corrupt cesspool.

Reaction Score

More and more relieved that UConn is Big East/Independent by the second. This drama is hack s***.

This is what happens when overpaid suits attain too much power and justify their jobs by any means "necessary." This was always inevitable.

All UConn has to worry about is UConn. Good grief, and riddance, to this corrupt cesspool.

I really hope the remaining 8 stay together and we get to see this all the way through. he sounds very confident. maybe he's just a senile old man but I doubt he says this without consulting lawyers.

Reaction Score
Really worried about myself enjoying the misery of others so much. But beer, popcorn, and this during the Olympics breaks are high quality entertainment.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What a resume
Holy Cross and UMass grad fwiw

Reaction Score
What a resume

"A 26-year ESPN veteran"

tenor.gif

Reaction Score
What a resume

Holy Cross is probably still more influential than UMass.

At the same time, he can try to boost UMass.

UMass to the Big Ten!!!1!1!

Reaction Score
I will be alone in this, but I would rather be in a conference with the best-of- the- rest of the Big 12 and best of the AAC. That is better than being independent, especially in an era where scheduling meaningful games is going to be next to impossible. These teams aren't creating super conferences so they can play out of conference schools. And while they Big 12 leftovers will take a big pay cut, this new alliance will still probably yield a better contract (probably from Fox) than we are going to see.

Football schedules that include TCU, OSU, KState, WVU, Cincy, Houston, UFC, Memphis, USF, and Memphis sound pretty good to me. Basketball with them and Kansas.....I'm taking that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was wondering how Bowlsby would find out about ESPN approaching teams. If, for example, ESPN approached Kansas about going to the B1G (or ACC, PAC12, SEC) Kansas would say "YES!" and not rat to Bowlsby. But the teams approached don't want to go to the AAC so they sang to Bowlsby so they can look loyal.
Or did Ares man up and do the right thing?

Reaction Score

Hate to say it but if this does indeed become reality, IMO UConn made a big mistake moving to the big East. Financially at least.

Just because they're trying to do something doesn't mean it will happen.

Kansas and West Virginia ain't going to the AAC (they'd go INDY before that happens), which means whatever schools go to the AAC are of no interest to the average UConn fan and the payout would be the same as it is now + still getting shuffled being the ESPN+ paywall with no SNY deal (the straw that broke the camel's back).

I'd rather play Nova, Georgetown, Creighton, PC etc in hoops with an Indy schedule than the crap we had to put up with plus K State, ISU, and OSU.

It's been thrown around in a couple articles the rest of the B12 would get about a $9-12 million annual payout per member on the open market so the money isn't any close to P5 territory whether the schools continue under the B12 or AAC membership.

Reaction Score

Kansas and West Virginia ain't going to the AAC (they'd go INDY before that happens), which means whatever schools go to the AAC are of no interest to the average UConn fan and the payout would be the same as it is now + still getting shuffled being the ESPN+ paywall with no SNY deal (the straw that broke the camel's back).

I'd rather play Nova, Georgetown, Creighton, PC etc in hoops with an Indy schedule than the crap we had to put up with plus K State, ISU, and OSU.

It's been thrown around in a couple articles the rest of the B12 would get about a $9-12 million annual payout per member on the open market so the money isn't any close to P5 territory whether the schools continue under the B12 or AAC membership.
In all honesty no chance 8 teams joins. People think this is bc the AAC is better it’s more like ESPN is trying to play them like a fiddle and save a buck.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Hate to say it but if this does indeed become reality, IMO UConn made a big mistake moving to the big East. Financially at least.

Maybe - rather hard to see the future here. Should it happen the closest new school would be WV, the rest would be west of the MS. It would continue to be a conf flung far from our community in a manner that would be challenging to get the fan base excited.

The media contract will be modest - same as the current AAC deal, but probably puffed up to make it read like the schools aren’t losing so badly. It will be clearly mid major money, well short if anything remotely P4.

This expanded AAC would be just an ort cloud sending in occasional comets to the top 10. No matter what it accomplishes it won’t dislodge one of the remaining P4 conf.

I could see Navy deciding to exit and become and independent - this would also help them get to an even 18 schools. Maybe Kansas or WV try the independent path if they can park their other sports elsewhere.

Reaction Score

Exactly. Just because ESPN reached out and tried to convince those Big 12 schools to join the AAC doesn't mean those schools seriously considered such a move. I just don't see Kansas/Okie State interested in sharing a conference with Wichita/Tulsa.

Reaction Score
ESPN did the same thing with the ACC to destroy the old Big East. BCU AD at the time stated media partner aka ESPN told them what to do.

ESPN is doing the same to the B12. They get OU and Texas to the SEC so those 2 will get their payday. At the same time, ESPN is blowing up the B12 to get out of the B12 contract while pushing rest of the 8 leftovers to the AAC at a huge discount.

It was upsetting when the old Big East didn't sue ESPN when ACC raided the old Big East. Uconn was damaged badly by ESPN, BCU, Pitt, Cuse, and the ACC. I hope this time ESPN get sued to oblivion.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I can see this and I think it makes financial sense.....for now. The problem is, what happens in 2025? Where is that money going to come from? I can see some of those Big 12 schools thinking ahead and calling whatever P5 conference they can. I'm not sure I see this playing out with all 8 schools staying together and just filling in with AAC schools. They are on borrowed time and they all know it

Reaction Score
Maybe - rather hard to see the future here. Should it happen the closest new school would be WV, the rest would be west of the MS. It would continue to be a conf flung far from our community in a manner that would be challenging to get the fan base excited.

The media contract will be modest - same as the current AAC deal, but probably puffed up to make it read like the schools aren’t losing so badly. It will be clearly mid major money, well short if anything remotely P4.

This expanded AAC would be just an ort cloud sending in occasional comets to the top 10. No matter what it accomplishes it won’t dislodge one of the remaining P4 conf.

I could see Navy deciding to exit and become and independent - this would also help them get to an even 18 schools. Maybe Kansas or WV try the independent path if they can park their other sports elsewhere.
Geography update: Temple, UCF, USF are all EAST of the MS. so the addition of WVU & a possible UCONN would be an interesting division with a guaranteed annual trip to Florida.

Reaction Score
I can see this and I think it makes financial sense.....for now. The problem is, what happens in 2025? Where is that money going to come from? I can see some of those Big 12 schools thinking ahead and calling whatever P5 conference they can. I'm not sure I see this playing out with all 8 schools staying together and just filling in with AAC schools. They are on borrowed time and they all know it
Sure but the key for them, and kudos to Bowlsby for being open about it, is hold together and get every penny out of UT and OU. That's a lot of $ for the the remainining 8 schools to split. Lol that the AAC is anywhere near a better alternative. Again Kudos to Bowlsby. People mock that letter but he put it out there for all to see. ESPN comspired with the AAC he says, but he also put the ACC on notice should they get ideas of inviting WVU and Kansas giving them the 4 schools necessary to dissolve the conference.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Geography update: Temple, UCF, USF are all EAST of the MS. so the addition of WVU & a possible UCONN would be an interesting division with a guaranteed annual trip to Florida.
Um, I am referring to the b12 remnants.

And let’s be real, no way in hell we are invited back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom