Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The one thing people still can’t seem to wrap their heads around is that the leagues/schools themselves aren’t the ones making the decisions- it’s the networks (specifically ESPN).

If ESPN wants the AAC to be the survivor, it’ll be the survivor. That’s the reality of the situation even if the Big 12 is definitely in a “better” position as of now

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The one thing people still can’t seem to wrap their heads around is that the leagues/schools themselves aren’t the ones making the decisions- it’s the networks (specifically ESPN).

If ESPN wants the AAC to be the survivor, it’ll be the survivor. That’s the reality of the situation even if the Big 12 is definitely in a “better” position as of now
yep, ESPN decides - it’s always been that way.

And the only question at this point is if FOX wants to enter the fray and stir things up however it can.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Sure but the key for them, and kudos to Bowlsby for being open about it, is hold together and get every penny out of UT and OU. That's a lot of $ for the the remainining 8 schools to split. Lol that the AAC is anywhere near a better alternative. Again Kudos to Bowlsby. People mock that letter but he put it out there for all to see. ESPN comspired with the AAC he says, but he also put the ACC on notice should they get ideas of inviting WVU and Kansas giving them the 4 schools necessary to dissolve the conference.
I agree 100% that there is a lot of money to just leave on the table should they dissolve. However, they need to look long term. What will the money be after 2025? Will it be enough with whatever this conference becomes? No way they can stay at 8, so what do they do? Bowlsby called out ESPN and if he holds firm, which I hope he does, I'm not sure what happens. ESPN is clearly pulling the strings with these moves, which should not be a shock to anyone. They were hoping to ease UT and OU's exit fees by dissolving the Big 12 with some schools moving to the AAC. They got exposed and now the fireworks are starting. Will ESPN sit idly by and let AAC schools defect to Fox and the Big 12? I don't see how they will after this has become public. So where does the Big 12 turn? I can't see UT and OU sticking it out until 2025.

It should be an interesting few weeks, months, longer....I will definitely enjoy the show.

Reaction Score
This entire scenario comes as no surprise to anyone who listens to Sirius-XM college sports, now known as ESPNU Radio. The tremors & rumblings of the realignment volcano have been felt for months. The talking head pundits have alluded to the cosmic blast whenever it was a slow sports week to fill dead air. There was much speculation that the XII was the weakest of the P5 & most prone to raiding. The only question is were the on-mike personalities speculating on their own or being fed deep background info from ESPN Corporate to be released piecemeal with appropriate timing.

Reaction Score

Texas and OU are going to the SEC because that's in the best interest of Texas and OU. The Big 12 nearly imploded during the last round of musical chairs when Texas threatened to leave. The networks certainly have a stake in all of this, but ESPN didn't make the decision. It was a no-brainer for Texas and OU. As for everyone else, they're all trying to find a safe haven in a power league. Some will, some won't. I'm sure Clemson is feeling a little antsy but the ACC gor deal is a tough one to overcome.

Reaction Score
ESPN absolutely has a hand in this, as their analysts feign shock publicly.

Also agree that going Independent and Big East otherwise was for the best for exactly this reason. Get out of the fray, maintain the program appropriately, and let the realignment chips fall where they may.
It's like Bowlsby was reading our posts as he crafted the cease & desist letter.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Um, I am referring to the b12 remnants.

And let’s be real, no way in hell we are invited back.
Personally I am hoping in the discovery for the inevitable lawsuit it is established that ESPN willfully conspired with the ACC to disembowel the Big East thus setting off this whole poopfest of realignment and the court orders everyone back to their 2003 conferences. That could happen, right?

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Personally I am hoping the discovery for the inevitable lawsuit it is established that ESPN willfully conspired with the ACC to disembowel the Big East thus setting off this whole poopfest of realignment and the court orders everyone back to their 2003 conferences. That could happen, right?
I think all of that bluster goes nowhere in the long run. But hey, the poopfest could be fun anyway.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Football schedules that include TCU, OSU, KState, WVU, Cincy, Houston, UFC, Memphis, USF, and Memphis sound pretty good to me.
That's only marginally better than the set-up that cratered our BB programs. Sorry, but FB only gets one crack at killing hoop and they already took it.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That's only marginally better than the set-up that cratered our BB programs. Sorry, but FB only gets one crack at killing hoop and they already took it.
Football fans voted with their feet on the American: no thanks, I would rather stay home and watch something else on tv. We created the program to play the old Big East, nobody anywhere cares about the AAC schools.

Reaction Score
Those daydreaming about what could have been in a super AAC are forgetting how challenging it was for recruiting and fan engagement to be on an island in New England.

I hear ya, but there may be a scenario which results in another kick in the nuts for us.

Reaction Score
Holy Cross is probably still more influential than UMass.

At the same time, he can try to boost UMass.

UMass to the Big Ten!!!1!1!

Hate to say it but if this does indeed become reality, IMO UConn made a big mistake moving to the big East. Financially at least.

Indeed. Another exactly wrong move, but this one you can’t blame anybody for other than moving away from Football driven decision making (which is the only thing that matters in college sports). I generally view it has more bad luck and chalk it up to another random kick in the nuts by the Universe.

Reaction Score
Bowlsby sounds like a guy who is in charge of Chaos. On the other Aresco has remained suspiciously quiet through all of this. The aac has an ally in the biggest player in the land, ESPN. And both have an interest in seeing the Big 12 go away albeit for different reasons. It's not hard to imagine wheels that turn too far to reverse this in the Big 12 favor. ESPN will not look kindly o any AAC school moving to the Big 12 8 at this point and in fact I can see ESPN incentivizing aac schools to stay and draw an additional members.

Reaction Score
I will be alone in this, but I would rather be in a conference with the best-of- the- rest of the Big 12 and best of the AAC. That is better than being independent, especially in an era where scheduling meaningful games is going to be next to impossible. These teams aren't creating super conferences so they can play out of conference schools. And while they Big 12 leftovers will take a big pay cut, this new alliance will still probably yield a better contract (probably from Fox) than we are going to see.

Football schedules that include TCU, OSU, KState, WVU, Cincy, Houston, UFC, Memphis, USF, and Memphis sound pretty good to me. Basketball with them and Kansas.....I'm taking that.
I think if the new conference has the potential to get a solid TV media deal along with some sort of agreement like GOR to stay together, it could be the way to go for Uconn. Uconn should also find out what kind of media deal Big East can get in the upcoming media deal. If total money for the new conference is much better than the current Big East deal, then Uconn should definitely considering a move. It is doubtful any of this still come together for the super AAC though.

The key for Uconn is the ability to keep its T3 rights to build an Uconn channel either on SNY, partnering with another media company, or on its own.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those daydreaming about what could have been in a super AAC are forgetting how challenging it was for recruiting and fan engagement to be on an island in New England.
Yeah it was basically us and Temple on an island in a southwest centric conference. Sure Tulane has great academics like UConn, but they didn't move the needle athletically. We just didn't fit in with those schools which isn't an indictment on those schools. It just is what it is

Reaction Score
Personally I am hoping the discovery for the inevitable lawsuit it is established that ESPN willfully conspired with the ACC to disembowel the Big East thus setting off this whole poopfest of realignment and the court orders everyone back to their 2003 conferences. That could happen, right?
That would force Cincinnati and USF back to CUSA and gives the Big East VT, BC and Miami all of which have accomplished precisely nothing but downward trends since joining the ACC.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The networks certainly have a stake in all of this, but ESPN didn't make the decision.
Oops!

EDE41E81-35A0-453D-956E-4724590D109A.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom