Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Because it took 15 minutes to serve everyone tea and biscuits.
I thought is was more like this:

Reporter [to board member going into the meeting]:
"When do you think we will hear about a decision?"

Board Member:
"20 Minutes"

Reporter [thinking to himself]:
I knew he was on the Boneyard.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score

One of the biggest mistakes of the Big East was not taking Penn St. It may also have been one of the best things to happen for Penn St.

Looking at that list you have to wonder if they will invite FSU in 2036 (or whenever the ACC GOR expires.)

Anyone know who are 18,19 and 20?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
One of the biggest mistakes of the Big East was not taking Penn St. It may also have been one of the best things to happen for Penn St.

Looking at that list you have to wonder if they will invite FSU in 2036 (or whenever the ACC GOR expires.)

Anyone know who are 18,19 and 20?

We say that, but I truly wonder if it changes anything today. Big East could have invited them and then the big ten just as easily could have raided just like happened to everyone else.

Reaction Score
Sure but the key for them, and kudos to Bowlsby for being open about it, is hold together and get every penny out of UT and OU. That's a lot of $ for the the remainining 8 schools to split. Lol that the AAC is anywhere near a better alternative. Again Kudos to Bowlsby. People mock that letter but he put it out there for all to see. ESPN comspired with the AAC he says, but he also put the ACC on notice should they get ideas of inviting WVU and Kansas giving them the 4 schools necessary to dissolve the conference.
The AAC isn’t a short term alternative certainly, but as a long term merger partner it could work reasonably well. pretty clear East West split. Respectable football certainly. West Virginia, Ok St, Cincinatti, Iowa State, UCF, Memphis, K State, Houston. Very good basketball, certainly equal to the NEWBIE, withKansas, Ok St, WVU, Houston,Cinci, Iowa State. But of course the big negative is no MSG. We would be a very nice fit but A. We burned those bridges; and B. The NEWBIE fanboys would do everything in their power to undermine it. Probably complain that playing Kansas and WVU wasn’t anywhere near as good as Providence and Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
I read. I don't have to think about this for long ... seconds. You - UCONN - needs to play a regional schedule to keep our basketball + football in optimal place. Playing Tulsa or Tulane regularly (or TCU Texas Tech (did anyone note the Jim Penders comment " the most inhospitable playing venue ever" = Lubbock). Stoking another round of "play in a conference" is silly - imho. West Virginia? GREAT. Temple, Navy, UCF, USF - of course (East Carolina no). A schedule of Buffalo, UMass, BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, Army, Pitt, Cincinnati ... that's ideal. Enough of the join this or that.

CL82

Reaction Score
1627665667117.png

This highlights future targets.

Reaction Score
Absolutely not. I don't want any part of that conference.
It would be WAY better than the NEWBIE, but would mean we don’t have an automatic NCAA bid every year. We’d actually have som good opponents.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Or not giving a darn about the fact that baseball basically plays a high school schedule now.
Texas Tech, Southern Miss and Virginia,who made the CWS finals, are part of a high school schedule?

Reaction Score
I read. I don't have to think about this for long ... seconds. You - UCONN - needs to play a regional schedule to keep our basketball + football in optimal place. Playing Tulsa or Tulane regularly (or TCU Texas Tech (did anyone note the Jim Penders comment " the most inhospitable playing venue ever" = Lubbock). Stoking another round of "play in a conference" is silly - imho. West Virginia? GREAT. Temple, Navy, UCF, USF - of course (East Carolina no). A schedule of Buffalo, UMass, BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, Army, Pitt, Cincinnati ... that's ideal. Enough of the join this or that.
Oh yeah. That’s a perfect schedule. It would be really cool if dollar trees really grew dollars and you could fly if someone threw pixie dust on you too. In a new combined AAC-B12 league our division would likely be Temple, Cincinatti, Navy, UCF USF ok East Carolina ( nobody likes them but hey), West Virginia. Then you get the others on a non-conference basis as you can. So basically half the schools you want to play on a regular basis. Add games with Texas Tech, TCU, Ok Stste et al on a rotating basis. I know, it isn’t Fresno but who is. And basketball you get Kansas, KState, Iowa State, Ok State, West Virginia. Kansas isn’t DePaul I realize, but who is? West Virginia isn’t Seton Hall.

You maybe ought to think a little longer to get that if this happens, UConn will end up being Loyola-Chicago or La Salle. One of those schools that people are surprised used to be a national power. What you are advocating is that UConn cease trying and be happy as a regional player. We’ll always have Tampa after all.

Reaction Score
Even if everything that was alleged by Bowlsby is true and can be proven how was the Big 12 damaged?
I think the damages are as simple as what would the Big12 likely generate if it were whole at the time of GOR renegotiation versus what it would command absent it’s 2 chief assets, and then apply a ten year discounted cash flow. The damages are no more speculative than any other case were you need to project loss of future profitability. The Big12 reported $439M with each team getting between $38-42M. The AAC commands $111M with treans getting between $5-7M. That’s a $300M a year difference. Assume the new weak B12 can get $150M or $200M a year in a new GOR. That’s a loss of over a $1B before considering special or punitive damages. I think it is quite reasonable to sue ESPN for $3-5 Billion in damages if they can actually show prove material and knowing misconduct.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah. That’s a perfect schedule. It would be really cool if dollar trees really grew dollars and you could fly if someone threw pixie dust on you too. In a new combined AAC-B12 league our division would likely be Temple, Cincinatti, Navy, UCF USF ok East Carolina ( nobody likes them but hey), West Virginia. Then you get the others on a non-conference basis as you can. So basically half the schools you want to play on a regular basis. Add games with Texas Tech, TCU, Ok Stste et al on a rotating basis. I know, it isn’t Fresno but who is. And basketball you get Kansas, KState, Iowa State, Ok State, West Virginia. Kansas isn’t DePaul I realize, but who is? West Virginia isn’t Seton Hall.

You maybe ought to think a little longer to get that if this happens, UConn will end up being Loyola-Chicago or La Salle. One of those schools that people are surprised used to be a national power. What you are advocating is that UConn cease trying and be happy as a regional player. We’ll always have Tampa after all.
Nice Strawman.

Reaction Score
Nice Strawman.
his butt hurts from the last time he tried logical things. I am tired of toying with him.

This was simple and our reason for leaving AAC was simple. We aren't going to let this chase of Football gold hurt our bellcow - the HOOPS. When there is something substantive, call us. There's nothing interesting in playin The Red Raiders of Lubbock. or the Green Wave, the Golden Hurricane. The moment the CFB world blows up the ACC .... we then have enough ooomph on regional play.

Reaction Score

You maybe ought to think a little longer to get that if this happens, UConn will end up being Loyola-Chicago or La Salle. One of those schools that people are surprised used to be a national power. What you are advocating is that UConn cease trying and be happy as a regional player. We’ll always have Tampa after all
Nice Strawman.
not me. Pudge is the one advocating playing a regional schedule. then he lists his ideal schedule, at least half of which are in the AAC or would be in an expanded combined league. The star man is pretending we will play Maryland, WestVirginia, Temple, BC, Rutgers Pitt and the rest. Maybe we play UMass most years, then 1 or 2 of his “ideal“ matchups in any given season. The rest is MTSU, Fresno, Florida Atlantic and the university of we need mapquest to figure out where it is. As for basketball, if we are stuck in a nice little regional league, we will ultimately become Seton Hall and Providence. We get to play Villanova and a bunch has been sand never weres. While we fill up MSG, the combined league will be filling up the NCAA tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom