Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
For the teams saying it, all this "monitoring the landscape" tripe is quite comical. I remember when UConn had the all-star monitoring team.

As an aside Utah was granted AAU admission, along with Dartmouth and UC Santa Cruz in 2019. UConn? Well, Herbst's efforts fell about as short as they could be with respect to this. She was as bad at growing research as she was as growing UConn's endowment. And everybody knows that a portion of research grants at UConn goes into the pension kitty, making UConn even more noncompetitive. So UConn is falling further behind other schools.

On a happier note, the also-rans of the Big 12 are soon to be in a worse fate than UConn, if that's possible.
We are the original leaders in CR monitoring. Nobody has done it better. Those other poor bastards have no idea how to take the repeated nut kicks we have.

Reaction Score
You think Texas has better lawyers than Disney?
I could be reading this tweet incorrectly, but the way I see it is ESPN will absorb the exit fees with their already agreed upon contract for the Longhorn Network to allow Texas and Oklahoma to enter the SEC, now also an ESPN entity. They’re not leaving the Disney family.

Reaction Score
When people talk about the American raiding the big 12 I wonder if they realize the big 12 schools will be splitting $160 million in exit fees.

Yup, The Big 12 will be doing the raiding, no doubt about it, and the weakest in the AAC will not be invited. The weakest in the AAC will then likely raid from the Sunbelt, Conference USA, and possibly MAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup, The Big 12 will be doing the raiding, no doubt about it, and the weakest in the AAC will not be invited. The weakest in the AAC will then likely raid from the Sunbelt, Conference USA, and possibly MAC.

If those were the only 2 choices, yes B12 wins every time. But this is not binary - the B12 is a dead man walking. Ok St, KU and certain others are not thinking it’s in their best interest to stay part of B12 with the likes of cincy, UCF, Boise, etc. they are likely working every angle to get into PAC or BIG.

Reaction Score

It drives me bonkers this article keeps referencing "power brokers" and the shift of the college landscape for the worse as if ESPN has absolutely nothing to do with it. The SEC may be running the show this time around, but ESPN has been privy to every other realignment for the worse over the years, if not the lynchpin, IMHO.

Ironically, I feel like we are way better off as an independent/free agent floating wherever the realignment winds may blow rather than still being hitched to the AAC wagon, even if it becomes the Big AAC after picking up the B12 detritus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If those were the only 2 choices, yes B12 wins every time. But this is not binary - the B12 is a dead man walking. Ok St, KU and certain others are not thinking it’s in their best interest to stay part of B12 with the likes of cincy, UCF, Boise, etc. they are likely working every angle to get into PAC or BIG.
OK, think that through. Where are they going? Once you have their tentative new conferences figured out, try to figure out how the new conference makes more money by inviting them. Because if that last part isn’t going to happen, none of it will.

Reaction Score
THE dollars published are nonsense.

The variance between the SEC and B12 today is ... $45m to $37m (with the proviso that the SEC is growing far faster in revenue). The Buyout? $160m! You are in an annual deficit of $8m ... and you pay 10 times each to jump? This is really about getting yourself to the TOP platform ... knowing you are crushing the partners you have had for 60 years. I am glad we are UCONN; I love thinking BC screwed us ... and we get to punish them in oodles of ways. Spit on them at the beach. But, if BC had a business arrangement whereby we played since 1960 in contractual agreement ... and you screwed us> sheesh.

Reaction Score
Programs act in their own interest...

UConn left the AAC because it suited their interest...Maryland, a founding ACC member went to the B1G because it suited thir interest, A&M bolted the Big 12 because it suited their interest...Texas and Oklahoma are doing the same.

Reaction Score
The decision of whether the B12 does the raiding or if the AAC does the raiding will be decided by FOX & ESPN.

FOX could technically blow the TV contract up and walk away from the B12 with the departure of UT & OK. Do they decide to walk and keep their powder for an upcoming B1G/PAC expansion or are they willing to make a deal with the remaining B12 schools allowing them to expand and stay alive?

Or, does ESPN see an opportunity to add value to their AAC property by adding B12 refugees?

Either way, the conference that survives will be determined by which of FOX or ESPN decide to step up.

Reaction Score
OK, think that through. Where are they going? Once you have their tentative new conferences figured out, try to figure out how the new conference makes more money by inviting them. Because if that last part isn’t going to happen, none of it will.

I did not say they’d get taken, I’m just saying as long as they remain in a conf that is now outside the P4, they’ll be itching to be somewhere else. It’ll make every AAC school think twice.

Reaction Score
So is Texas/OU waiting to 2025 or are they gonna bite the bullet and aim to join next year?

Reaction Score

It drives me bonkers this article keeps referencing "power brokers" and the shift of the college landscape for the worse as if ESPN has absolutely nothing to do with it. The SEC may be running the show this time around, but ESPN has been privy to every other realignment for the worse over the years, if not the lynchpin, IMHO.

Ironically, I feel like we are way better off as an independent/free agent floating wherever the realignment winds may blow rather than still being hitched to the AAC wagon, even if it becomes the Big AAC after picking up the B12 detritus.
ESPN absolutely has a hand in this, as their analysts feign shock publicly.

Also agree that going Independent and Big East otherwise was for the best for exactly this reason. Get out of the fray, maintain the program appropriately, and let the realignment chips fall where they may.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would think this would make 2 non power conferences but that will be up to the networks

Reaction Score
In the movie based off this analogy, Paul Finebaum is definitely some sort of state media propaganda mouthpiece.
I would think this would make 2 non power conferences but that will be up to the networks

Finebaum is the walking talking Goebbels of the SEC.

He is also the man for whom the saying 'He has a face made for radio' fits like the proverbial glove.

Reaction Score
ESPN might do it like with FSU....no official contact...have a SEC school President have lunch with the Texas President...social visit... info passes in the guise of gossip...no notes...no ESPN involvement

Reaction Score
ESPN shoots a cannon shot across the bow of the USS Big 12...USS Big 12 has a swabbie on the foredeck armed with a water pistol.

Bowlsby is trying to leverage the payout by officially insisting that OU and Texas stay until June 2025. Two law firms will be winners when this goes to court, no matter the final settlement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom