Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
The word from down south is that the college football model will ultimately look more like the NFL structure of conferences and divisions. BTW, I was told that ESPN (DISNEY) is fully engaged in these efforts and has been crouching behind the wizard curtain. The new structure has been unofficially branded as "NFL Saturday". There's talk of an expanded ACC and PAC 16/20 (?), with both coastal conferences forming the "bread of a football sandwich" with the SEC and B1G as the meat filling. All the PAC and ACC Olympic sports would be played within each conference but each year a select rotating group of their football (perhaps basketball) teams would travel cross country to play vs each other. It's now looking like 16 (some say 20) in each of the four conferences. The scramble is on.
I was also told by a Texas buddy that last weekend's quieting of A&M's response was due to a private spanking by the SEC, who essentially told the Aggies that they better not try and screw up the TX/OU move. "This deal alone is worth $75M to each member school--and you can be voted out!"
I know football drives the bus. If this happens will the NCAA allow SEC basketball to compete in the basketball tourney? Would non SEC teams schedule them in other sports? Does it even matter?

Reaction Score

UT and A&M make money off oil and gas fields in West Texas?!

Oh yes...written into the state constitution 100 years ago.

In 1876, the Texas Constitution set aside land in West Texas to support The University of Texas and Texas A&M systems of higher education. Today, that land – encompassing 2.1 million acres – is leased to oil and gas companies whose wells generate revenue that flows into the PUF. Land also is leased for grazing, wind farms and other revenue-generating activities.

https://www.utsystem.edu/sites/default/files/landing-pages/puf/ut-system-PUF-infographic-2018-10.png

Reaction Score
Whoa, don't let those moving goalposts knock you over buddy.

What you said was that UConn Woman's Basket "has no value." Do you now concede that that statement was demonstrably false?

Once we concede (and frankly everyone knows it, even you) that UConn WBB has value then you have believe that any reasonably intelligent decision maker would take that value into account. Now, as I have noted, no one is going to offer Connecticut conference membership because our WBB team, but I guarantee you there is a computation of the value, including potential subscribers, if they are doing an even vaguely competent evaluation.
No value in relation to the issue at hand. that is all.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The word from down south is that the college football model will ultimately look more like the NFL structure of conferences and divisions. BTW, I was told that ESPN (DISNEY) is fully engaged in these efforts and has been crouching behind the wizard curtain. The new structure has been unofficially branded as "NFL Saturday". There's talk of an expanded ACC and PAC 16/20 (?), with both coastal conferences forming the "bread of a football sandwich" with the SEC and B1G as the meat filling. All the PAC and ACC Olympic sports would be played within each conference but each year a select rotating group of their football (perhaps basketball) teams would travel cross country to play vs each other. It's now looking like 16 (some say 20) in each of the four conferences. The scramble is on.
I was also told by a Texas buddy that last weekend's quieting of A&M's response was due to a private spanking by the SEC, who essentially told the Aggies that they better not try and screw up the TX/OU move. "This deal alone is worth $75M to each member school--and you can be voted out!"
If this even comes to fruition, are they going to plan to keep current conference members? I can't see why you bring along lower tier schools who have been perennial doormats. Nostalgia clearly plays zero role anymore and hasn't mattered since all of this realignment started. My guess is they will look to make sure they have the teams that draw the most eyeballs. Don't see how you take along a BC when you can get a school with an actual fanbase.

Reaction Score
Think we’ll end up with 32 teams. A mirror image of the nfl. No Vandy. No Purdue. No Oregon State. No Baylor or Texas Tech. Just the biggest and baddest with the rest relegated to tier 2 like English soccer

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No value in relation to the issue at hand. that is all.
Well that's not actually true either. You understand the difference between being a factor and a critical factor right?

Reaction Score
Aggies board met for 90 minutes regarding this move and no action was taken. Guess being a newbie has no real clout. UT might be an exception since they actually win games. The Longhorns have a winning record against every SEC football team except Vanderbilt.

Reaction Score
If this even comes to fruition, are they going to plan to keep current conference members? I can't see why you bring along lower tier schools who have been perennial doormats.
Logically, this tectonic shift in the football landscape should provide cover for some selective pruning of weaker conference members, however don’t underestimate the influence of politics. Powerful political interests with ties to the targeted prey could muck up what oherwise makes sense. Two good examples from the past are how politics led to the inclusion of Baylor into the Big XII and Va Tech into the expanded Big East.

Reaction Score

-> A more useful recent analog, given the viewership numbers cited earlier, might be the AAC’s new ESPN deal that began in 2020. That contract nets its schools about $7 million a year on average.

Unfortunately, that $7 million-to-$12 million range does not bode well for the Left-Behind 8’s chances of landing an invitation to one of the other Power 5 conferences. The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are unlikely to invite a school that would drag down its current members’ slice of the conference pie. All three currently make far more than that from media rights. <-

-> Meanwhile, a Big 12 AD lamented to The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman last week that “bringing in a Cincinnati and UCF doesn’t bring any eyeballs.”

Technically, that AD’s not wrong. There’s no evidence to suggest those schools bring in moreeyeballs than his. But he may need to come to terms with the reality that his school may soon be held in similar regard. <-

Reaction Score

-> A more useful recent analog, given the viewership numbers cited earlier, might be the AAC’s new ESPN deal that began in 2020. That contract nets its schools about $7 million a year on average.

Unfortunately, that $7 million-to-$12 million range does not bode well for the Left-Behind 8’s chances of landing an invitation to one of the other Power 5 conferences. The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are unlikely to invite a school that would drag down its current members’ slice of the conference pie. All three currently make far more than that from media rights. <-

-> Meanwhile, a Big 12 AD lamented to The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman last week that “bringing in a Cincinnati and UCF doesn’t bring any eyeballs.”

Technically, that AD’s not wrong. There’s no evidence to suggest those schools bring in moreeyeballs than his. But he may need to come to terms with the reality that his school may soon be held in similar regard. <-

Basically what anyone who has been paying attention has known for a while. Most schools are on a similar level in terms of viewership. The Texas and Oklahomas are the outliers, and very few teams have "earned" being included in the P5.

I wonder if athletic departments of bottom half teams in other conferences are starting to worry. They probably should be.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts....

RE SEC and Texas-OU...

....there is a scene in Jurassic Park where Jeff Goldblum's character says re recreating dinosaurs..."you were so preoccupied with whether they could that you didn't think about whether you should."

The SEC is already the dominant force in the sport. It has the most marketable programs, soon the best TV deal, the largest fan bases and the most pro level talent. Now, that conference will poach two of the most storied programs in the country to add to what it already has.

The Big Ten and the SEC already make so much more money than the rest of the conferences that you could legitimately refer to them as the Power 2. The Big Ten brought in $782 million in 2020, according to a recent article in USA Today. The SEC, of course, was well over $700 million as well.

The playing field, never level, has now tilted drastically. We know who has a chance, a real chance, to win a national title. And it's about 10 to 12 teams total. And most of those are in the South. And most of those are in the Southeastern Conference. Which is about to get even stronger with the addition of two giant football powers. If it isn't Ohio State..it will be an SEC team as champ.

I have always thought that if you want to compete..recruit and play better. But with the creation of what amounts to two (really 1 1/2) superconferences splitting the money, there may be less opportunity to build a program.

The Big 12 is no more...the PAC hasn't been relevant for a while...the ACC can't compete in their own area with the SEC.

The college football world wonders how they can compete...I wonder if ESPN really wants them too.....Because judging by the numbers on those TV deals, it would appear ESPN is perfectly content with being SEC-PN every fall Saturday for the rest of our lives.

I love college football. The pageantry, mascots, traditions...I grew up as a fan...And have followed college ball for longer than most.

And, even in my optimism, I see the velociraptors running wild, with no way to get them back in the cage.

Rant off...I'll feel better when season starts.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Well that's not actually true either. You understand the difference between being a factor and a critical factor right?
Will you two exchange numbers and take this boring argument off-line?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom