Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish WBB had some value. It doesn’t . If the most successful college program in college sports history meant anything, we would be in a P5. In fact if MBB even moved the needle, we would be in a P5. UConn suffers from delusions of grandeur and can’t get it through its head that football is all that matters in college sports, rightly or wrongly. The move to the NBE was brilliant for rejuvenating MBB, and it’s fun to see them on the rise, but to what end really.
Disagree. Connecticut women’s basketball has incredible brand value nationally. It is talked about not only among women’s college basketball fans, but among men’s college basketball fans. I’ve personally heard it discussed on NBA broadcasts and on MLB broadcasts. There was a big brouhaha in the national media regarding the choosing of the women’s Olympic team because it contained "too many UConn players." We see that every four years. UConn women’s basketball has so much value that SNY pays $1 million to broadcast a portion of its games. There are many college football programs that do not have that proven market value. To say that the Connecticut women’s basketball program has no value is to be either deliberately disingenuous or woefully uninformed.

Now, I don’t believe that anyone is going to invite us to a conference because of women’s basketball, but that’s a different thing than suggesting it doesn’t have value. Do you understand the difference?

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Just for those that may have delusions about UConn realigning itself, consider the deal made when joining the Big East:

As part of the contract with the Big East, UConn has agreed not to seek football membership at this time in any Power Five conference and to pay a $30 million exit fee if it leaves the Big East during its first six years of membership. The fee would eventually drop with time to $15 (years 7-9) and later $10 million (10+years).

This is on top the $17M that its cost to recently leave the AAC and the $3.5M it cost to join the Big East.
So basically you’re saying even if Connecticut left in years one through six their Big East exit fee could be paid out of one years Media rights payment in a P5 conference.

Well that doesn’t seem like much of an impediment.

CL82

Reaction Score
That exit fee is not an obstacle at all as joining a P5 conference would probably add $20 to $30 million per year in media revenues alone plus the pickup in football ticket
Jim I think that’s a conservative number. It is likely to be higher.

Reaction Score

-> The SEC signed a $300 million deal with ESPN last year that gives the network rights to all SEC football games starting in 2024 and is expected to bump the conference’s annual distribution to its members to about $68 million.

The Big 12 distributed $34.5 million per school recently, down over the previous year because of the pandemic.

A projection done by Navigate Research, which does data modeling for professional sports leagues and college conferences, for The Athletic last year had the annual distribution gap between the SEC and Big 12 at about $16 million per team per year in the SEC’s favor by 2026.

That was under the assumption the Big 12 would still have Texas and Oklahoma. <-

Reaction Score
What is interesting is that Texas and Oklahoma have both formally given notice...yet neither has formally said yes to the dress.

And they may not have to for a while....

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's probably in this thread somewhere....but when is this supposed to happen? Is it 2025? Is it yet to be negotiated?

Reaction Score
sorry

I just don't find the National college football scene that interesting if it is only a SEC thing. For your generic Mississippi State, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia scrum, I don't think I care about spending two-four hours of a Autumn afternoon watching. I don't want to hear Penn State fans opine how WVU isn't worthy of their media rights number; NO ... Texas is doing what we all know Texans do. The idea that College Football means everthing - imho - is one of diminishing interest. What matters is rivalry ... what matters with WBB at UCONN is the stories; the games are interesting and the development of student athletes. I don't care how much the Florida State coach makes nor the new SEC deal at ESPN. Find me a office coffee room in LA the week of the USC v UCLA game ... and I will perk up.

It gives me no solace to know 15 Universities are confronting the angst UCONN faced a decade ago. I can be happy - I found - in 10 other sports rather than a SEC day

Reaction Score
So basically you’re saying even if Connecticut left in years one through six their Big East exit fee could be paid out of one years Media rights payment in a P5 conference.

Well that doesn’t seem like much of an impediment.

Our “pitch” would have to be a partial share for a long time, maybe for eternity. FTT thinks any school needs to deliver 70M To BIG. I’d propose a 25% share and also look to the potential for an increase in research sharing, hopefully leading to research money. Would you leave for 17-18M a year? I’d do it for 15M.

CL82

Reaction Score
Our “pitch” would have to be a partial share for a long time, maybe for eternity. FTT thinks any school needs to deliver 70M To BIG. I’d propose a 25% share and also look to the potential for an increase in research sharing, hopefully leading to research money. Would you leave for 17-18M a year? I’d do it for 15M.
I don't think that is how it works, colleges trying to underbid to see who can join, at least at this stage, but you are right there always is a de facto buy in. Still the B1G fronted Maryland money, so it happens. I don't see the B1G inviting us in the near term in any event.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think that is how it works, colleges trying to underbid to see who can join, at least at this stage, but you are right there always is a de facto buy in. Still the B1G fronted Maryland money, so it happens. I don't see the B1G inviting us in the near term in any event.

Kind of makes you laugh that there are exit fees, entry fees, delayed schedules for full distribution, etc., but the idea of a permanent partial payment is so taboo.

Granted, we'd have a difficulty time competing in big 10 football even with a full deck of cards nevermind at a permanent money disadvantage but still I think any of us would welcome that challenge over our current predicament.

Reaction Score
In Europe the most powerful clubs tried to create a "Super League" to enrichen themselves, but the fans and the football (soccer) pundits all lost their minds and told them how selfish and stupid and terrible it was and it stopped.

The difference is, here, the people with the money don't give a one way or the other what anybody wants. The company with all the pundits (ESPN) also controls the TV rights, so nobody speaks for the fans, and we end up with super leagues with rivalries nobody cares about and leagues that have no history. And even the fans of the schools don't care cause THEIR school makes money and if a historical rivalry is lost then who cares I guess.

But hey, as long as Texas and Alabama get paid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The OU and UT moves to the SEC have been in the works for months. ESPN has probably been been playing chess for months to determine the disposition of its other assets in the wake of that now-public bombshell. Each of us has institution-centric views which favor our alma maters, but those opinions mean nothing unless they happen to coincide with what ESPN wants, and what it wants has probably been decided already. Stay tuned as events slowly unfold.

Reaction Score
The OU and UT moves to the SEC have been in the works for months. ESPN has probably been been playing chess for months to determine the disposition of its other assets in the wake of that now-public bombshell. Each of us has institution-centric views which favor our alma maters, but those opinions mean nothing unless they happen to coincide with what ESPN wants, and what it wants has probably been decided already. Stay tuned as events slowly unfold.
I've heard reports the backchannel comms have been going on for years, not months.

Reaction Score
sorry

I just don't find the National college football scene that interesting if it is only a SEC thing. For your generic Mississippi State, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia scrum, I don't think I care about spending two-four hours of a Autumn afternoon watching. I don't want to hear Penn State fans opine how WVU isn't worthy of their media rights number; NO ... Texas is doing what we all know Texans do. The idea that College Football means everthing - imho - is one of diminishing interest. What matters is rivalry ... what matters with WBB at UCONN is the stories; the games are interesting and the development of student athletes. I don't care how much the Florida State coach makes nor the new SEC deal at ESPN. Find me a office coffee room in LA the week of the USC v UCLA game ... and I will perk up.

It gives me no solace to know 15 Universities are confronting the angst UCONN faced a decade ago. I can be happy - I found - in 10 other sports rather than a SEC day

Yeah.....this is where I am. I used to really love college athletics, but it's turning into something much different. I read the WSJ and watch college football and basketball for two very different reasons.

Reaction Score
.....oh, and I'm happy to see the athletes get some money, but near as I can tell there isn't a blessed control in place to manage NIL. Many of these kids are going to be taken advantage. It will be absolutely terrible in spots.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Connecticut women’s basketball has incredible brand value nationally. It is talked about not only a month women’s college basketball fans, but among men’s college basketball fans. I’ve personally heard it discussed on NBA broadcasts and on MLB broadcasts. There was a big brouhaha in the choosing of the women’s Olympic team that it contained too many UConn players. We see that every four years. UConn women’s basketball has so much value that SNY pays $1 million to broadcast a portion of its games. There are many college football programs that do not have that proven market value. To say that the Connecticut women’s basketball program has no value is to be either deliberately disingenuous or woefully uninformed.

Now, I don’t believe that anyone is going to invite us to a conference because of women’s basketball, but that’s a different thing than suggesting it doesn’t have value. Do you understand the difference?
You realize the WBB team loses a sizable chunk of money, notwithstanding being the best college team in history. I didn’t say they have no value. They are an awesome college team that should be recognized and lauded. That value just doesn’t translate into anything of substance relative to the economics of the college sports world. I wish things were different because everything is getting squeezed down to dollars and cents rather than civic pride, educational success and simply good fun.

CL82

Reaction Score
You realize the WBB team loses a sizable chunk of money, notwithstanding being the best college team in history.
Last year it did. There have been many years when it turned a profit. That notwithstanding, if your standard is all that athletic programs that do not are turn a profit have no value, that pretty much covers, what 95% of college football? Are you saying all those programs have no value? If not, then why would that be true for Connecticut WBB?

I wish WBB had some value. It doesn’t .

I didn’t say they have no value.
No, you actually did. Take a look at the quote above. I get why you might want to walk that back.

That value just doesn’t translate into anything of substance relative to the economics of the college sports world
Well I think most people would say that $1M broadcast right for a portion of their schedule is something "of substance relative to the economics of the college sports world" wouldn't you? Many football programs don't have that level deal. Again you seem to be being willfully disingenuous.

(Note that doesn't include the value of apparel rights, the net profit from games or NCAA credits.)

Reaction Score
You realize the WBB team loses a sizable chunk of money, notwithstanding being the best college team in history. I didn’t say they have no value. They are an awesome college team that should be recognized and lauded. That value just doesn’t translate into anything of substance relative to the economics of the college sports world. I wish things were different because everything is getting squeezed down to dollars and cents rather than civic pride, educational success and simply good fun.
They lose a chunk of money because they are not correctly compensated for their media rights. Based on their ratings, etc, they probably should be pulling in $10 million plus in media revenues as a stand alone entity.

Reaction Score
Last year it did. There have been many years when it turned a profit. That notwithstanding, if your standard is all that athletic programs that do not are turn a profit have no value, that pretty much covers, what 95% of college football? Are you saying all those programs have no value? If not, then why would that be true for Connecticut WBB?

No, you actually did. Take a look at the quote above. I get why you might want to walk that back.

Well I think most people would say that $1M broadcast right for a portion of their schedule is something "of substance relative to the economics of the college sports world" wouldn't you? Many football programs don't have that level deal. Again you seem to be being willfully disingenuous.

(Note that doesn't include the value of apparel rights, the net profit from games or NCAA credits.)
The context of this thread is CR and people making the ludicrous assumption that WBB has any pull relative the current environment . It has zero. I would much rather watch the best at a sport, as most. A D3 BB team would destroy UConn WBB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom