Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
Actually- I have no vested interest in Iowa State- I went to IU
I would prefer they dump Nebraska and have two teams from Iowa to create in -state rivalry....like MSU and Michigan.
Big money will dictate how everything shakes out- not college rivalries.
That’s for sure. They have ruined a number of rivalries already. They’ll do it again in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
The barrier to full scale realignment Armageddon right now is the ACC GOR that goes through 2035. The one solution to that would be a full scale power grab coordinated between the B1G and SEC to kill off the ACC and grab all the power and money. Individual teams cannot get out of the ACC GoR. But I believe if they can get 10 schools to vote to dissolve the conference, the conference and the GoR are dissolved.

The B1G takes Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and Florida State.

The SEC takes Virginia Tech, NC State, Miami, and Pitt along with Texas and Oklahoma.

That would give them 10 votes needed to disband the ACC. And creates two 20 team super conferences that hold all of the power and control.

Not likely to happen, but it would be fascinating to watch the war it would create.
Problem is that the Big10 has at least some minimal standards. They aren’t touching Clemson, which actually makes sense to the SEC, and Florida State is unlikely too. Another SEC alternative. I could see Virginia, Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech maybe. And the SEC ain’t taking Pitt.or NC State.

Reaction Score
True and by the same logic if we started pumping $40M into your finances, you'd be a millionaire. Of course the problem is finding someone who is willing to do that.
It’s not about the schools. It’s about the media markets and creating a product that generates dollars. New England is major college sports dead zone for football. The conference that figures out how to create a dominate foothold wins. BC is out on an island with ACC and it’s killed them. The only 2 viable alternative programs are UConn and UMass, and the B1G can leverage its brand to create the dominance. Requires a little foresight.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It’s not about the schools. It’s about the media markets and creating a product that generates dollars. New England is major college sports dead zone for football. The conference that figures out how to create a dominate foothold wins. BC is out on an island with ACC and it’s killed them. The only 2 viable alternative programs are UConn and UMass, and the B1G can leverage its brand to create the dominance. Requires a little foresight.
Yammering Blah Blah Blah GIF by The Internet

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
That sounds so 2015.
Yup....it's what got a lot of these conferences, specifically the ACC, in the spot they are in now. It's all about streaming and when conferences look around next, they aren't looking at TV markets. Rutgers can thank the gods they got where they are. If it were a few years later, they would never have been a thought. Fan bases are who are important. They are the ones who subscribe to streaming services now. It doesn't matter what market they live in anymore.

Reaction Score
Big 12 (8) should add Cincinnati, Houston, UCF and USF. If they want to go to 14, throw in Memphis and maybe Tulane.

Metro Conference Deluxe.
Sounds P6 to me.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Does anyone think that the resulting chaos might help our scheduling?

Not that we play SEC programs often, but if they go from 8 to 9 league games this eliminates one additional ooc game that teams would need to schedule.

Reaction Score
I mean this should help UConn with football games on tv with CBS seeing as more teams would bolt premium conferences. Could also see basketball getting a jolt in revenue with Texas and Oklahoma leaving so fox would desperately want content.
The downside is a full schedule of mainly only conference games when they get large enough.

Reaction Score
first. I HATE Wetzel, Thamel, Forde, McMurray ... and that WV troll and the Minnesota guy. Everytime realignment rises

Not to get Political ... but this is Economics as well folks. Oligarchs cheat. The top dogs eventually want to start eliminating the others at the table. And that is ... why "trickle down" is a crazy thing to even consider It ain't gonna happen. The Natural flow beginning 15 years ago was the College Football money, with greater dollars and new technology for eyeballs, was gonna keep getting to a more elite group. That means the Washington State, Baylor, Northwestern ADs should be as nervous as UCONNs. It is flowing towards a SuperLeague and they are not gonna care about keeping Vandy along for its great academics. This is the way the folks in the Hamptons eventually scrapes the middle class in Smithtown.

We can hope. Like the European attempt at the Super League in Football. It can fall apart because the public just pukes all over it.

Reaction Score
Rumors out there of negotiations with USC/UCLA and the B1G.
Remember how sanctimonious the B1G was about expansion? Prospective wannabe suitors (even AAU members) were frustratingly thwarted by the "contiguous state rule". The BIG actually had three sacrosanct rules that were critical to expansion: AAU membership, avoiding adding schools in the same media market, and schools must be in a contiguous state to one of the other members. I asked a well placed friend at Michigan what happened to all their expansion rules. Here's his answer: "We don't mind if media markets overlap. The nation is moving to a streaming model and fan bases are distinct." OK, but what about your famous contiguous state rule? "Well, we've now expanded the definition of contiguous to mean the 48 contiguous states" Sorry Alaska and Hawaii!

Reaction Score
Problem is that the Big10 has at least some minimal standards. They aren’t touching Clemson, which actually makes sense to the SEC, and Florida State is unlikely too. Another SEC alternative. I could see Virginia, Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech maybe. And the SEC ain’t taking Pitt.or NC State.

FSU is ranked higher in Best National Universities (USNWR) than Penn State, Rutgers, Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan State, Iowa and is the same rating as Maryland.

Reaction Score
first. I HATE Wetzel, Thamel, Forde, McMurray ... and that WV troll and the Minnesota guy. Everytime realignment rises

Not to get Political ... but this is Economics as well folks. Oligarchs cheat. The top dogs eventually want to start eliminating the others at the table. And that is ... why "trickle down" is a crazy thing to even consider It ain't gonna happen. The Natural flow beginning 15 years ago was the College Football money, with greater dollars and new technology for eyeballs, was gonna keep getting to a more elite group. That means the Washington State, Baylor, Northwestern ADs should be as nervous as UCONNs. It is flowing towards a SuperLeague and they are not gonna care about keeping Vandy along for its great academics. This is the way the folks in the Hamptons eventually scrapes the middle class in Smithtown.

We can hope. Like the European attempt at the Super League in Football. It can fall apart because the public just pukes all over it.

wisdom

Reaction Score
I think this can only help UConn. An increase in independent schools equals easier construction of schedules. Our Olympic sports are safe in the Big East. Our state flagship is capable of weathering the new policies on athlete rights to image.

This will undoubtedly hurt the bottom feeders that have fed off of other large flagship schools for too long. But we're finally not going to be the ones getting the kick in the cojones...
Gives us the opportunity to schedule strong, go undefeated and win NC's!

Reaction Score

Clemson is a better school than a number of Big 10 schools, fwiw. But, I agree they’re not taking them

Reaction Score

….and the public may very well puke on this. It’s pro football by just about any reasonable standard, and it’s not the NFL.

Reaction Score
If I was Warren, I'd go after UVA and UNC. UConn can wait.
Not being a troll here, but why those schools over UConn which would shore up the NYC market for the B1G and push further into NE?

Reaction Score
Big 12 (8) should add Cincinnati, Houston, UCF and USF. If they want to go to 14, throw in Memphis and maybe Tulane.

Metro Conference Deluxe.
Memphis would be a better option than USF. Better FB, better BB. USF has been hot garbage since Leavitt was fired.

Reaction Score
The only thing I'd want to see is if this happens is WVU to the ACC for the return of the Backyard Brawl. The Pitt-WVU rivalry were some of the most entertaining games I've ever watched.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom