Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
I’m in Dallas and I’m an SMU alum (master’s). It will be so sweet to see fans of TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech in agony. Schadenfreude.

Be careful what you wish for. The remaining B12 schools could raid the AAC and not invite SMU to the party. SMU will certainly be begging to get in.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
This is why I dont even try to figure out what might happen. Streaming has changed the model that drove previous realignments. You can't use the households logic that was so popular 10 years ago.

I have no idea how this affects UConn. My guess is not at all.
I see it the same way. Whatever happens will have the same impact on UConn as it will have on URI, UNH, and UMaine.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. The remaining B12 schools could raid the AAC and not invite SMU to the party. SMU will certainly be begging to get in.
I expect my schools (UConn and SMU) to get screwed. So I enjoy watching others get screwed whenever possible.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Money talks.
Yeah, I just dont see in this political climate the the BOTs at the various P12 schools voting yes to Baylor and BYU regardless of the money and I dont think either of those bring money to the table that moves the needle relative to the existing P12 schools.

Reaction Score
Texas and the rest of the south and southwest benefit from two big trends:

1) Water being treated as a free and infinite resource. Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Southern California are consuming water at a level way past replacement rate and will run out of reserves within the next 10-20 years. Texas is in a little better shape, but not much.

2) A staggering federal wealth transfer from the northeast and west coast to the south and southwest. Northern states basically send their tax dollars to southern states through block grants so southern states can have lower state taxes. This is completely unsustainable, and will likely be addressed within 10 years.
In Texas, they spend less than in Connecticut. Here are some facts, although we can all agree/disagree if Texas should spend more:

Annual spending per student: Texas $10k, Connecticut $21k

Average teacher salary: Texas $54k, Connecticut $76k

Annual spending per highway mile: Texas $73k, Connecticut $209k

State healthcare spending per capita (2014 numbers): Texas $1.409, Connecticut $2.235

State legislature annual salaries: Texas $7.2k, Connecticut $28k (FYI: NY $110k)

Reaction Score
we are just about the timing component ... when a Lawmaker from Oklahoma or some big Oil guy from Texas says: Nope. You are not taking care of my Cowboys in Stillwater or Raiders in Lubbock. There is bound to be a bumpy bumpy path forward. They aren't raised to play nice.

Reaction Score
You know the old saying, “if you can add a tiny religious school in the middle of nowhere Texas that has a history of sexual assault scandals and a murder (!) in its recent athletic history you do it asap”
Baylor has 16,000 students in the second fastest growing state in the country.
Recent National Championships in Men's and Women's Basketball
The murder was in 2003 and of course no other school in the country has had problems with sexual assaults. At least they weren't children being assaulted.

Reaction Score
So it looks like we'll be strictly observers of the fun that lies ahead. But since dreaming is free, isn't there anything that could help UConn as these conference machinations start gearing up? How about a surprising season this fall. Is it impossible to think we could head to Clemson at 6-2? Then what if we hang close with Clemson and bring a large contingent of passionate fans. Do perceptions start to change? It's clear that Edsall leaving after the Fiesta Bowl stripped us of any positives we might have accrued as the shifting occurred. Now with his own recruits, Edsall has at least a puncher's chance to reinvigorate our image and with Benedict (the anti-Hathaway) at the helm, is it possible that whatever shine we had that was dulled 10 years ago just might begin to take on a brighter patina? Any dreamers out there?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Baylor has 16,000 students in the second fastest growing state in the country.
Recent National Championships in Men's and Women's Basketball
The murder was in 2003 and of course no other school in the country has had problems with sexual assaults. At least they weren't children being assaulted.
Waco is in the middle of nowhere and their football program systemically covered up sexual assault. Their women’s head coach told Britney Griner to cover up her sexuality. Garbage program and a garbage school that shouldn’t be involved at the highest levels of competition.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I have seen some conference realignment scenarios so far on what could happen if the Big 12 dissolves. I've even seen a few what ifs.... For B1G or ACC expansion....but I seem to be missing something....

I NEED SLASHES PEOPLE!!!

i want that need GIF by The Cooligans

Reaction Score
Waco is in the middle of nowhere and their football program systemically covered up sexual assault. Their women’s head coach told Britney Griner to cover up her sexuality. Garbage program and a garbage school that shouldn’t be involved at the highest levels of competition.
Do you suppose Penn St. systematically covered up sexual assaults of children?
Let's ban them from the highest levels of competition.
Can't you come up with with a better adjective than garbage?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Do you suppose Penn St. systematically covered up sexual assaults of children?
Let's ban them from the highest levels of competition.
Can't you come up with with a better adjective than garbage?
Yeah I think penn state shouldn’t be allowed to compete at the highest levels either. They should have gotten the death penalty. Now that the whataboutism is done, why should a program that has shown that it puts money ahead of morals be rewarded?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In Texas, they spend less than in Connecticut. Here are some facts, although we can all agree/disagree if Texas should spend more:

Annual spending per student: Texas $10k, Connecticut $21k

Average teacher salary: Texas $54k, Connecticut $76k

Annual spending per highway mile: Texas $73k, Connecticut $209k

State healthcare spending per capita (2014 numbers): Texas $1.409, Connecticut $2.235

State legislature annual salaries: Texas $7.2k, Connecticut $28k (FYI: NY $110k)

Balance of Payments Portal | Rockefeller Institute of Government (rockinst.org)

I didn't make this up.

And the analysis in the link does not account for net federal debt incurred, which would put Connecticut WAY into the red.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think penn state shouldn’t be allowed to compete at the highest levels either. They should have gotten the death penalty. Now that the whataboutism is done, why should a program that has shown that it puts money ahead of morals be rewarded?
I'm sorry but if that is the criteria there would be no college athletics.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but if that is the criteria there would be no college athletics.

O ... It is NOT just the murder of the basketball player. It is Bliss tried to paint the murdered kid as a drug dealer and rotten kid. As the parents looked on in horror. That he was slipping dollars into their pockets ... he thought - in the greatest leap - that smearing the dead was ok. And then we looked on and saw NOT a whit of horror of the administration or community. Then the football sex romp.

That should make a Christian religious school drop sports. Or ... seriously be proponent of new ethic in all student behavior. Nope. Business as usual.

Reaction Score
O ... It is NOT just the murder of the basketball player. It is Bliss tried to paint the murdered kid as a drug dealer and rotten kid. As the parents looked on in horror. That he was slipping dollars into their pockets ... he thought - in the greatest leap - that smearing the dead was ok. And then we looked on and saw NOT a whit of horror of the administration or community. Then the football sex romp.

That should make a Christian religious school drop sports. Or ... seriously be proponent of new ethic in all student behavior. Nope. Business as usual.
OhhK

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom