Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I’d love to keep going on this - but don’t want to drag this thread down. If you think the long play in US real estate is outside of the south and west - god bless. AC, water conservation, new housing tech will conquer many problems ahead. The southeast and south central have so much space for growth to feed decades of growth. And no reason many SE cities won’t achieve substantial higher density too… low density US cities still have a lot of space to pack many more in.
I'll take this bet all day. Growth will be in the northern US and Canada. The temperature increases will crater the economic productivity of the south, and city heat islands will be insufferable and preclude serious urbanization. And all that assumes many of these states remain capable of self-governance, a really open question at the moment.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'll take this bet all day. Growth will be in the northern US and Canada. The temperature increases will crater the economic productivity of the south, and city heat islands will be insufferable and preclude serious urbanization. And all that assumes many of these states remain capable of self-governance, a really open question at the moment.
Okay, go for it. Letting you have the last word.

Reaction Score
If I were the PAC I would make a major push for Texas and OU. That is a conference that is in danger of irrelevance. USC is on again off again without sustained national importance. Oregon’s funny uniforms have brought some success but not the serious ability to challenge the real powers. Everybody else is meh. Marginally relevant and hurt by playing most games when 70% of the country is asleep. Adding Texas and OU would jump start them. AND add another rich recruiting ground.

Reaction Score
I think that the real blow of having Oklahoma and Texas go to the SEC would be the capture of so many must watch marquee match ups by one conference

The SEC would have the Red River Rivalry, The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, The Iron Bowl...plus dozens of match ups like Georgia-Auburn, Aggies-Texas, LSU-Arkansas, etc.

And that leads to another downside...band width domination...ESPN now owns the SEC entire after buying out CBS. Those marquee match ups will dominate prime time and more non SEC matches will be relegated to less watched streaming channels.

ESPN will truly be the ESECPN

Reaction Score
And...top tier athlet's want that exposure for NIL income...the SEC will rule the football world.

Reaction Score
I can't see them sitting in the Big 12 for the next 4 seasons after telling them that their leaving once they make the decision to jump over to the SEC
Why not. With all the lame duck left overs they'll be able to pick off potential recruits right and left. We might even snag a few.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And...top tier athlet's want that exposure for NIL income...the SEC will rule the football world.

Why is that? How does a top tier athlete get NIL income from the bench and practice squad?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Why is that? How does a top tier athlete get NIL income from the bench and practice squad?
I agree with you. I'm also hesitant to assume SEC fans won't throw their money away.

Reaction Score
Still think the B1G picking up UConn is a smart move to lock down the northeast. In fact, if they took UMass, the two would dominate recruiting and squeeze BC into irrelevance. The result would be capturing the money train from Portland to NYC . It would make fir a powerful regional trivalent with eyes.
Not UMass, Buffalo. They're AAU and Cuse would shrivel up.

Reaction Score
UMass to the Big10 is up there with the guy proposing to trade UN-L for Iowa State.
Big Ten is driven by Football and Basketball
Iowa State has won in both sports. Nebraska is on the bottom in BB and slowly becoming irrelevant in football. Uconn would do much better in ACC v Big 10

Reaction Score

Top Tier athletes don't see themselves on a practice squad...they see an Alabama QB who has never started a game getting 7 figures.....A 5 star WR or RB would want exposure...

2019 Rivals Class Rankings...Alabama had 12 times as many five and four stars as the whole AAC together...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d love to keep going on this - but don’t want to drag this thread down. If you think the long play in US real estate is outside of the south and west - god bless. AC, water conservation, new housing tech will conquer many problems ahead. The southeast and south central have so much space for growth to feed decades of growth. And no reason many SE cities won’t achieve substantial higher density too… low density US cities still have a lot of space to pack many more in.
Yep, the South is great and cheap to live in if you're cool with never leaving your house.

Reaction Score
Not UMass, Buffalo. They're AAU and Cuse would shrivel up.
I take that back. My last crazy idea.
Virginia
UConn
ND
Army
-Cadets enhance facilities and come back to Football Prominence.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They would have won the national championship if they didn’t have to play UConn in MSG according to their fans
Plus they are a little bitter about the accident their mascot had while they were here.
Saved By The Bell Shrug GIF by PeacockTV

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Plus they are a little bitter about the accident their mascot had while they were here.
Saved By The Bell Shrug GIF by PeacockTV
I completely forgot about that, didn’t it like fall down some stairs and then the accident got blamed on drunk fans?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I completely forgot about that, didn’t it like fall down some stairs and then the accident got blamed on drunk fans?
Yep pretty much.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Big Ten is driven by Football and Basketball
Iowa State has won in both sports. Nebraska is on the bottom in BB and slowly becoming irrelevant in football. Uconn would do much better in ACC v Big 10
Fess up, you have to be an Iowa State fan.

The Big10 is about money. Adding the #2 team in Iowa adds no money. Why is this so hard?

Reaction Score
Texas - Oklahoma to SEC - 16 Teams
Baylor - Okla St - Kansas - BYU to PAC 12 Two Divisions West -Wash/Ore/Cal teams
East - Colo/Utah/Ariz/Ariz
St/ New 4 teams
West Virginia to ACC - If they can stand Louisville why not WV
Force Notre Dame in or UCONN - 16 Teams

What is left of Big 12 ( Iowa St/TCU/Texas Tech/Kansas St) merges with AAC

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Texas - Oklahoma to SEC - 16 Teams
Baylor - Okla St - Kansas - BYU to PAC 12 Two Divisions West -Wash/Ore/Cal teams
East - Colo/Utah/Ariz/Ariz
St/ New 4 teams
West Virginia to ACC - If they can stand Louisville why not WV
Force Notre Dame in or UCONN - 16 Teams

What is left of Big 12 ( Iowa St/TCU/Texas Tech/Kansas St) merges with AAC
Would the PAC add religious schools like Baylor and BYU? I am highly skeptical they would.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why is no one talking about the remnants forming a Texas-centric league? A combo of the SWC and Big 8?
The B12's first move would be to grab SMU and Houston. The non-Texas teams would have to go along.

Poor financial move? Perhaps, but it's Texas (State of), they do stupid things out of spite all the time. You all of a sudden have an entire, very competitive, league of UCF clones that don't give a rip about academics and plenty of wealthy boosters to keep more Texas kids at home.

After a few years of UT and AM finishing 5th or 6th in a 16 team SEC, these other schools start to look more attractive, especially if the Texas politicians, enough of whom represent all the other schools, incl. Rice, stick it to UT.

This is a great move for OU regardless and they should plan on going even if the Texas legislature blocks UT.

In case you're wondering, Rule #1 applies when the number of Texas recruits heading north of Norman, OK drops to zero.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom