Hope it's not true | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hope it's not true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like DD has been on the radar screen so long I have forgotten why she is....this tends to confirm my belief she'd be a fine addition.

From ESPN on Jan 11 K Yow game: " Picked up several silly fouls, must tone that down." But it would keep Geno energized!

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/98672/diamond-deshields

She has gotten Maya Moore comparisons. She is from Atlanta just like Maya. Her high school coach even is the same one who coached Maya. Word on the street has been for a long time she will play for the same school Maya played for. so the comparisons are always there. She may not be the shooter Maya is but Maya wasn't the run jump athlete Diamond is.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The 2013 recruit Lexie Brown plays AAU ball with Deshields, so that could be the connection there.

Diamond is a bright young lady and I suspect she will chose the best college for her no matter where it is as she should.

While I hope its UCONN, as a fan of WCBB, she will be a tremendous athlete and addition to which ever program gets here.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Eric discounting the notion that players will develop better at UConn than somewhere else with an obligatory "hogwash" might be a little severe. I could see it expressed as "depends on the player, their disposition, commitment and desire to work hard and succeed".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just to clear up a few facts about Maryland. They have a very good point guard in the making with Brene Moseley who is coming off an acl her senior year in high school. And, they have a verbal from the second ranked point guard for 2013 Lexie Brown. Also, Tianna Hawkins who was not ranked in the top 100 in 2009 has developed as the top FG% player in the country, averages 12.9 ppg, with 9.5 rbpg. So, players do develop very well at Maryland.

Oops, I forgot to mention that Alyssa Thomas has developed into one of the best players in the country and is only a sophomore.

So, I really wouldn't call going to Maryland a waste of talent.
Sorry, but until Maryland proves it can do something with that talent I stand by my comment that Maryland is a waste of talent. First off they can start to learn to play defense. I did not say they have no talent.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
'bear - looking at your avatar -- you got a tooth ache?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nah, playing hide and seek with dinner.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is anything I worry less about than UConn's recruiting.

It'd be disappointing if Diamond went to Maryland, sure, but bringing in the #1, 2 and 7 prospects to go along with KML, Stokes, Hartley and Dolson would lessen that blow just a little bit.

Reaction Score
As a fanbase I think we are being way too cocky. We are used to winning recruiting battles but no coach gets every player they want that goes for Geno, Coach K, or anyone. There is no need to bad mouth schools like Tennessee, Maryland, or wherever else DD is looking. Tennesse has things UCONN cannot offer. UCONN offers things Tenn can't offer. Maryland offers things UCONN doesn't offer. It is all relative and subjective. And one aspect people never consider is outside of the basketball court. Maybe academic program at school A is better than school B. Maybe campus of school B is better than campus of school C. Maybe school A is closer to home than school C. Maybe school B has cooler uniforms than school A. No matter the reason the decision is more complex than just the basketball program.

All true. Back when a bunch of people on this board were saying that she was all but a lock to play at UConn, I began getting this funny feeling. Maybe it's just a bad-mojo thing, but honestly, it'd be good to not express so much confidence that is based only on the logic created between the ears. UConn is one of several, or maybe two. That's all anyone can say with certainty. Everything else is speculation.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I've given up thinking that Uconn's fortunes depend on one particular recruit. We didn't get Chiney, X-girl or Sara Hammond and you know what? So what?

DD will be a star wherever she matriculates but the Uconn TEAM and SYSTEM will be just fine whatever happens.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well I think its all for the papers and fans. I cant see DD going to MD. Her dad was a professional ball player. He knows the value of a coach who can develop you and make you the best. You know many fans were concerned Breanna would go elsewhere. That wasnt going to happen either. I really dont think UConn has much to be concerned with with DD coming. Geno was at her game for a reason and I dont believe it was to convince her to come, DD wanted to come to UConn 4 years ago and I dont think thats changed. She wants to follow in Mayas footsteps. WIth that said UConn is going to win alot of NCs over the next 6 years barring major injuries and I think she would want to be a part of that. With that said UConn will have the number 1 ranked team in the country and their next 5 could also be a top 5 team. If Geno backs off DD then you know shes going elsewhere. If Geno dosnt back off, as he wants players who want UCOnn then you know he's set her free to go elsewhere

"If Geno backs off DD then you know shes going elsewhere." ?? We will see that how Tony? I love you man, but what does that mean?

sTu

Reaction Score
"If Geno backs off DD then you know shes going elsewhere." ?? We will see that how Tony? I love you man, but what does that mean?

My read is Tony is thinking about Geno's often stated response of pursuing players that REALLY want to come to UConn.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I think he means that if Geno would not bother to go to see her this past week if she was going elsewhere.

Reaction Score
IMO, DD will go to UCONN when its all said and done.......Maybe, UCONN scares her and that is ok....Its better to know that now then it is to find out 30 days after she arrives on campus........

Reaction Score
As a fanbase I think we are being way too cocky. We are used to winning recruiting battles but no coach gets every player they want that goes for Geno, Coach K, or anyone. There is no need to bad mouth schools like Tennessee, Maryland, or wherever else DD is looking. Tennesse has things UCONN cannot offer. UCONN offers things Tenn can't offer. Maryland offers things UCONN doesn't offer. It is all relative and subjective. And one aspect people never consider is outside of the basketball court. Maybe academic program at school A is better than school B. Maybe campus of school B is better than campus of school C. Maybe school A is closer to home than school C. Maybe school B has cooler uniforms than school A. No matter the reason the decision is more complex than just the basketball program.
A lot less complex if their goal is to play in the pros and be drafted #1.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric, no one is going to have a 100% success rate with players, but I don't think it's debatable that UConn does a better job developing players on balance than anyone else. Geno had to do just that in order to develop a powerhouse in the first place. It's not often talked about, but Bascom, Lobo, Jen, Kara, and Keesh, all had to reach their potential for 1995 to happen. Extraordinarily, they all did. And you look at what happened afterwards with Shea, Svet (who fought Geno on doing the little stuff- cant imagine how she would have been with other coaches), TASS, D, Tina (another player who really needed serious coaching to reach her potential), Maya, etc. And that's just at the top. Who knows what Kelly, for instance, becomes at another program.

Of course, other schools develop players, and a lot of it is self-motivated. One thing is for sure- EDD would be much better defensively if she played for UConn. And when I watch Maryland, they run a lot of individual offense. That's especially bad for a player like DD, who's likely to end up relying on individual athleticism rather than a team-oriented offense. UConn not only has quality PG play, but an entire offensive system that is designed around getting the best shot possible. No one else does that.

Ultimately, I believe DD will be a great player wherever she goes, but if that ends up being UConn, she has the best chance to be the best player she can possibly be.
Alex - i'm not arguing that anyone will have a 100% success rate. my point is that so many UCONN fans say "well, if you want to be developed to the best of your potential, there's no other option than UCONN". i used to feel that way but the reality is it's simply not true. in fact, one could argue that UCONN spends so much time working on the team concept that it's somewhat to the detriment to the individual player. you think EDD would be averaging 28+ PPG at UCONN? no she wouldn't. and it seems to me that every player who is in the WNBA currently and a star for their team, as well as all the players on the US National team who aren't UCONN grads, developed pretty well at other schools.

and that's one reason why UCONN isn't for everyone. a kid who wants to be the star of her team of have the offense revolve around her probably isn't going to thrive at UCONN, and again, that's no criticism of UCONN. i'd much rather have the teams we've had and the successes we've had than any other team out there, especially how we've positioned ourselves to take the lead in NC titles from Tennessee. but i think the degree that "UCONN develops players better" is often very minute. i can't tell you how many times i've cringed when someone has said "how much better would _____ be if she'd come to UCONN"...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is still true, eric. In the words of an old James Bond theme song by Carly Simon, "Nobody Does it Better."

Reaction Score
Sorry, but until Maryland proves it can do something with that talent I stand by my comment that Maryland is a waste of talent. First off they can start to learn to play defense. I did not say they have no talent.

Actually, your quote that I was responding to was "The potential waste of another excellent college career." So Alyssa Thomas is a potential waste of another college career by going to Maryland. And all the four (Toliver, Coleman, Langhorne, Harper) other top 2-5 draft picks in the WBA wasted their careers not to mention that they won a NC in 2006. Regarding doing something with their talent, I think Maryland did pretty good this year with a lot less talent than UConn or Duke have. Regarding their lack of defense, this is so true but it's gotten better since 2007-09 and this year they have limited some teams to some of their lowest scores of the year. However, I wouldn't except you to have ever noticed any of that. As such, I take exception to your statement that going to Maryland is a waste of another excellent college career.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, I know it was my quote. And I stand by that I believe that talent will be wasted at MD. I see it as great talent that will never achieve what is possible for them under Frese and staff.

After winning the national championship with a great deal of good fortune that same talent never fulfilled its promise again. That should not have happened. It did and does because of the lack of commitment to defense and playing with discipline.

Actually, I live in PA and know well how MD's season has done and no they still don't play defense.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Nah!...the Diamond isn't afraid...it is the mother of all gems. It is at the top of the chart on Moh's Scale of Hardness... Diamond is a competitor...if she chooses to go to some place other than UConn it won't be because she is scared. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Diamond will be wearing Husky Blue and playing on the greatest UConn team ever assembled.

Reaction Score
It's not so much scared; it's the big fish in a little pond syndrome.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I see this "she is wasting her career" mentality on other boards, including Baylor. I suspect that Freese will suddenly be a better coach if DD were to choose MD. I think Geno and Mulkey are both great coaches but to imply that a player is somehow wasting her career by playing for another coach is a bit ridiculous. I would argue that Charde Houston didn't develop as well under Geno as she might have elsewhere. Liz Sherwood developed much better at Vandy. It is sometimes about being a good fit and playing for a coach that you relate to.

Not all young girls are prepared for the high pressure at UCONN and don't want to be told by Geno and CD that they suck and have praise witheld even when they are playing well and showing signs of development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom