Hope it's not true | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hope it's not true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I see this "she is wasting her career" mentality on other boards, including Baylor. I suspect that Freese will suddenly be a better coach if DD were to choose MD. I think Geno and Mulkey are both great coaches but to imply that a player is somehow wasting her career by playing for another coach is a bit ridiculous. I would argue that Charde Houston didn't develop as well under Geno as she might have elsewhere. Liz Sherwood developed much better at Vandy. It is sometimes about being a good fit and playing for a coach that you relate to.

Not all young girls are prepared for the high pressure at UCONN and don't want to be told by Geno and CD that they suck and have praise witheld even when they are playing well and showing signs of development.
There are many schools where she would be better off than at MD. It is not a MD versus UConn issue except that it has been reduced to that. I would see her better of a Louisville as I said early in the thread. Baylor would be another. Notre Dame. Stanford. Penn State. etc.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but it will be a school of sharks at UConn.

Who, exactly, might be the sharks that she "might fear?"

If we are lucky enough to get her, she will get her share of PT.

(Actually, IMO, the incoming class will require that coach A adjust to the radical change in the new talent level of the entire team. Meaning: He may have to give up his reluctance to start freshmen. Especially if the freshmen are obviously better at their positions than a returning player. Adjustments will have to be made. For example, I can't imagine Kelly starting and Morgan sitting.)

Peace,

John Fryer

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
None, but she would be one more shark in the shark tank and not a shark in the guppy pond.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
(Actually, IMO, the incoming class will require that coach A adjust to the radical change in the new talent level of the entire team. Meaning: He may have to give up his reluctance to start freshmen. Especially if the freshmen are obviously better at their positions than a returning player. Adjustments will have to be made. For example, I can't imagine Kelly starting and Morgan sitting.)

You mean like the radical level of talent he already has on this team. You keep suggesting this and Geno stays faithful to his process. Those new kids will have to LEARN how to play within the UConn system and that will take time. It isn't just a matter of being talented it is about being able to function within what and how UConndoes and it is hard to displace experienced starters from that role.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Who, exactly, might be the sharks that she "might fear?"

If we are lucky enough to get her, she will get her share of PT.

Peace,

John Fryer

Yeah, we get it. You don't think Kelly should start. I'm grateful that UConn has the kind of coach that is loyal to his players.

You would remove a player that has started for two years with a freshman? Geno won't.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Yeah, we get it. You don't think Kelly should start. I'm grateful that UConn has the kind of coach that is loyal to his players.

You would remove a player that has started for two years with a freshman? Geno won't.

Thanks, DD! How JF can think that Geno would sit Kelly - who is the heart of this team - for an unproven freshman must live in another dimension (or is perhaps - dystopic??) Morgan may come TO BE fabulous, but Kelly IS fabulous for many reasons. Methinks JF always lives for "Next year is going to be sooo much better" and does not stop to appreciate who we have! Sorry, edgy waiting for tonight...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Thanks, DD! How JF can think that Geno would sit Kelly - who is the heart of this team - for an unproven freshman must live in another dimension (or is perhaps - dystopic??) Morgan may come TO BE fabulous, but Kelly IS fabulous for many reasons. Methinks JF always lives for "Next year is going to be sooo much better" and does not stop to appreciate who we have! Sorry, edgy waiting for tonight...

Every player will have their opportunity to start. Eventually. But you have to earn your stripes, as they say.

It's simple and Geno won't complicate it. Next year they lose one starter. Lewis will fill that slot.

The following year, Doty and Faris will be gone. 2 of the 3 sophs (Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck) that year will start. That will be an interesting decision, but a long way off.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Guys you have to look at who starts and who comes off the bench as a two step thing. 1. There is who starts in November. And, 2. Who starts beginning to late February. Geno will remain loyal to his seniors Kelly, Doty will start early. He will bring his future all stars off the bench. As the season progresses he will tweek the line-up based on results. If he is happy with the results of bring his future all stars off the bench and starting his seniors he will stay with it. If he feels that in order to win in the post season he has to adjust the line-up he will. Either way Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson will get huge minutes so it won't matter all that much who starts.

Think of it this way. If you are a coach and you start your best five and UConn starts...Doty, Dolson, Faris, KML and Bria...and after 6 minutes you look at the score and UConn is leading by 5...then off the bench comes Kiah Stokes, Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck and Brianna Banks...you know your in big trouble.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Guys you have to look at who starts and who comes off the bench as a two step thing. 1. There is who starts in November. And, 2. Who starts beginning to late February. Geno will remain loyal to his seniors Kelly, Doty will start early. He will bring his future all stars off the bench. As the season progresses he will tweek the line-up based on results. If he is happy with the results of bring his future all stars off the bench and starting his seniors he will stay with it. If he feels that in order to win in the post season he has to adjust the line-up he will. Either way Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson will get huge minutes so it won't matter all that much who starts.

Think of it this way. If you are a coach and you start your best five and UConn starts...Doty, Dolson, Faris, KML and Bria...and after 6 minutes you look at the score and UConn is leading by 5...then off the bench comes Kiah Stokes, Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck and Brianna Banks...you know your in big trouble.
Amen, Brother Charles!!!! Amen!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Pigs use mud to keep their skin insect free..so they do indeed love mud.

Reaction Score
I didn't say they were dirty. I said they love mud.

And they do!
They will roll in the mud if they have to, to get rid of body heat in the summer, but if they have a pen they will keep it cleaner than any other farm animal, always relieving themselves in one corner.

Reaction Score
i can't speak for Brene Moseley since i know nothing about her, but with a 93 rating per HG, she was probably in the 60-80 range. Doty tore her ACL her senior year of HS and ended up rated #10 or 11. my guess - she's not even in the same class as Banks, never mind Hartley or Jefferson. And Alexis Brown is rated #17 per HG and Blue Star. certainly solid but not spectacular. having said that she's from Georgia so maybe that's a draw for Diamond.

Maryland has recruited well lately. Thomas is a flat out stud, and IMHO, the best player in her class - it's either her or Chiney. and Howard is supposed to be quite good. but Maryland's not in the same class as UCONN when it comes to recruiting. in fact, they are also behind Duke, ND, Rutgers, aTm, L'ville and probably Tennessee off the top of my head.

so nothing wrong with wanting to go to Maryland. much better college town than Storrs. solid team. some very good to terrific players. but don't pretend they are anywhere near UCONN's class. they will find out next year just how far behind UCONN they are.

and by the way, that old adage of "kids will develop better at UCONN than elsewhere" - hogwash. EDD is one of the top 3 players in the country and she chose lowly Delaware over UCONN. do i think she'd have been "better" had she gone to UCONN? probably, but how much may well be negligible. i'd guess she'd be in better physical shape had she gone to UCONN, and she'd be developing more diverse skills being forced to play against better players, not to mention the male practice squad. i do think Geno is the best and the game and he has the best staff in the game, but other kids can develop into fantastic players even if they go elsewhere.

it's like pointing to Charde and saying UCONN isn't good at developing players since she was top 10 in HS but never reached her potential at UCONN due to lack of development. or Kaili who was top 15 but never contributed much numbers-wise, but has gone on to Europe to be one of the best players in her league.
Well having lost a rediculously long post which I lost to cyber space I can safely say it was "Brilliant" and covered every post on this thread;) Eric I do belive with EDD,or Walker not transferring and a healthy CD last season we would have been going for a 4th consecutive NC over the next month. What our class of #1Stewart,#2MO.and #4 Tuck pf 2012 sets us up for another run like the Bird and Diana Run and the Tina,Maya run that could have been more<oh well> The future is incredibly bright and a potential class that includes #1-3 DD,and a couple of other special kids would be remarkable. Back to Back,to Back,toBack,classes
of the caliber we are inline for, is remarkable and might lead to a run similar to the Wooden Years WOW
I love and hate recruiting because I become obsessed and anxious until the class is complete and special!
RE: DD what I heard repeatedly from John A. is that he would be shocked if DD did not ultimately verbal,LOI,and comes to Conn. There are numerous signs,but we can make a case for other schools like MD because her AAU teammate is going there. All I know is what John A has said although he hates getting into it:) I hope he is right and if if DD was out of the picture Geno would not be traveling to Ga to keep following the kid!
Who is coming tonight? Choiya,DD,Reimer.Stewart,Calhoun,?????????
Tonights game is the beginning of a potentially incredible 5 weeks of Madness:)

JS

Reaction Score
if they have a pen they will keep it cleaner than any other farm animal, always relieving themselves in one corner.
That's a relief.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They will roll in the mud if they have to, to get rid of body heat in the summer, but if they have a pen they will keep it cleaner than any other farm animal, always relieving themselves in one corner.
That's nice. I'm glad they relieve themselves in one corner.

It doesn't change the fact that they love mud.

thumbnail.aspx

And so do some adults.

thumbnail.aspx

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
That's nice. I'm glad they relieve themselves in one corner.

It doesn't change the fact that they love mud.

thumbnail.aspx

And so do some adults.

thumbnail.aspx

DD...I hope you are the game tonight. We can talk pigs.

Reaction Score

Just as KML,the High School Player of the Year and numerous other awards,is coming off of the bench as the "6th man". When Fr have started it has been because we did not have a returning alternative or a returning player was injured. Kelly the heart and soul of this team, will be starting! Stewart,Mo,andTuck all know how it works. When we hear tha Mo might start as PG next season,#1 it is a hypothetical,#2 who knows what CDs physical condition will be. doggy and others who get it,know how it works! If the 3 incoming players are as good as we believe that they are,they will get the minutes. It is/will be a fun delemna of how the coaching staff subs what will be a deep and talented group of players. I believe Geno is not thinking of next years games! What he may be very excited about will be THE PRACTICES!;) Looking ahead to 2013! Those who ultimately commit.will already meet the list of qualities necessary to have a scholarship for the Uconn Women's Basketball Team. Those who are looking for something other than TEAM and everything that goes along with playing for Geno hopefully will not be offered nor come to UCONN. It will be interesting who accepts the conditions and the USA type teams we will have. Almost all of the players have experience with this.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Pigs role in the mud to stay cool because they don't sweat.

Don't sweat it!

Reaction Score

Agreed on all counts: Pam Weber started over Nykesha; Diana did not start as a freshman until there were injuries, same with Maya.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My genuine congratulations to those who have participated in the time honored Boneyard tradition of taking threads on tangents. The tradition had been in decline, but you have brought it back and in such a way as to make this place seem like the Barnyard. Of course, UConn does have its roots in agriculture....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom