Hope it's not true | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hope it's not true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That may be in your book but as someone who reads numerous coaching books I can definitively say that 4s are regularly referred to as posts by coaches and not simply as in posting up.

I think Icebear's book is more accurate.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
But is that a risk that she is willing to take? You never know how these young players think.

I thought that Griner being at Baylor would help bring in top talent that would want to win a championship with her. But instead I think that a lot of players shied away from playing with a player that they knew would such a heavy focal point of the offense.

Well, of course it's an unknown until she tells us all.

Whatever the risk is, there are so many positives in going to UCOnn, I just don't see that being the reason. I've been wrong before...lol.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This year L'ville is giving up 61.0 points/game and MD is giving up 60.2. Your point is..... what, exactly?
That Jeff Walz does significantly more with less talent. Brenda Frese has always been a great recruiter . Walz would eat up the ACC with her team.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
4s may post up, as do guards, but in my book a post player is a center. Wikipedia also recognizes that the terms can be interchangeable.
"The center, colloquially known as the five or the post, is one of the standard positions in a regulation basketball game and is commonly abbreviated "C". The center is normally the tallest player on the team, and often has a great deal of strength and body mass as well. A typical NBA center is between 6'10" (2.08 m) and 7'3" (2.21 m)."

Maybe it is a geographic thing.

So, to make everyone happier, Maryland has the top center, which was my overall point, that Maryland is bringing in top talent that DD can feel comfortable about playing with.

"Top talent"?

Top talent would be Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. What Brenda is bring in is much, much less than that.

Stick with your argument that DD might get more PT at Maryland, because the top talent one does not work nearly as well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Icebear's book is more accurate.

Must be a regional thing. If you say post player in Texas, you are talking about the center. Seems to be that way throughout the south.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This year L'ville is giving up 61.0 points/game and MD is giving up 60.2. Your point is..... what, exactly?
They both suck.

MD is tied with Tennessee for 137th in scoring defense.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
"Top talent"?

Top talent would be Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. What Brenda is bring in is much, much less than that.

Stick with your argument that DD might get more PT at Maryland, because the top talent one does not work nearly as well.

The second rated PG in a class doesn't qualify as top talent? And the 7th overall rated player doesn't qualify as top talent?

I guess "top talent" must be a relative term, because those are pretty good gets. If DD goes to Maryland I guess she suddenly won't be top talent.

Reaction Score
If one watched MD's run to the title then you recognize they won with a tremendous amount of luck and never approached the same success again although they continued to have most of the team intact. I saw the first two rounds at Penn State in person sitting directly behind the MD bench. Never again since that team and year have they had the same success. Largely it is because their teams demonstrate no commitment to defense.

A lot of it was luck, a first time coach in the final four with very little experience past the sweet 16, and most teams didn't know how to play against MD. The next year they became complacent and had a huge target on their back. Still, sticking to your absurd statement, you could ask everyone on that team whether it was a waste of their college career to play at MD and they will tell you that it was not. and they keep showing up at games even while they are in the WNBA to prove it.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The second rated PG in a class doesn't qualify as top talent? And the 7th overall rated player doesn't qualify as top talent?

I guess "top talent" must be a relative term, because those are pretty good gets. If DD goes to Maryland I guess she suddenly won't be top talent.
Right it is a relative term. And my point is, based on what everyone says, these kids Maryland is bring in are not close to Jefferson, Stewart and Tuck, which shoots down your argument that Brenda is building something that will be a real contender for a NC which will sway DD.

Reaction Score
Except that there is some evidence that Jeff Walz was really the coach at Maryland that was making the most out of that talent in 2006.

If you look at Brenda career, she has always had very good offensive teams with or w/o Walz. Today, she continues to field very good offensive teams. Walz was there for defense not the offense. It's no coincidence that Walz was there for the 2006 NC, but Walz was also there when MD flopped out at the sweet 16 the following year, in which everybody believed that MD lost it because they had no defense. Don't come on here and say that Walz was the reason for the NC because that would be another absurd statement. The truth is that the coaches were to blame for it the sweet 16 failure, including Walz but they also had some players that were not the best defensive players.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
If you look at Brenda career, she has always had very good offensive teams with or w/o Walz. Today, she continues to field very good offensive teams. Walz was there for defense not the offense. It's no coincidence that Walz was there for the 2006 NC, but Walz was also there when MD flopped out at the sweet 16 the following year, in which everybody believed that MD lost it because they had no defense. Don't come on here and say that Walz was the reason for the NC because that would be another absurd statement. The truth is that the coaches were to blame for it the sweet 16 failure, including Walz but they also had some players that were not the best defensive players.

That's not what I said, so kindly stop telling me what and what not to post, OK?

Reaction Score
That's not what I said, so kindly stop telling me what and what not to post, OK?
But saying that there was evidence that Walz was the coach seems to imply that he was the reason for the NC. Am I wrong?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Right it is a relative term. And my point is, based on what everyone says, these kids Maryland is bring in are not close to Jefferson, Stewart and Tuck, which shoots down your argument that Brenda is building something that will be a real contender for a NC which will sway DD.

Well, you never know how these players will pan out. Tennessee is a great example of that.

Geno had possibly the greatest player of all time, in her senior season, last year and didn't win the NC. Who would have picked TAMU to win it all? They did it what a junior college transfer as their leading scorer.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Look what EDD is doing at Delaware with a lot less talent around her. Frese is certainly accumulating enough talent that MD could challenge for a NC if they land DD.

Reaction Score
"Top talent"?

Don't under estimate Lexie Brown at PG. She has it all and is a great 3 point shooter. She has heritage also. Her father is Dee Dee Brown from the NBA. BTW, Diamond stated that Lexi is the best player in high school in Georgia.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Most top recruits want to be challenged. Many have gone to UConn because Geno told them that he would not guarantee that they would start they would have to earn that privilege. If they are good enough they will earn their minutes. If UConn accumulates a log jam of talented elite players...Geno will figure out how to spread the minutes and those players will add to their college resume, they will play everyday with elite players in an elite system coached by the best coaches preparing themselves to play at the next level. What else could an elite athlete want...a decent education, great team mates, great coaching, great competition, national championships, and adequate preparation for the pros...that really is all they could ask for.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Most top recruits want to be challenged. Many have gone to UConn because Geno told them that he would not guarantee that they would start they would have to earn that privilege. If they are good enough they will earn their minutes. If UConn accumulates a log jam of talented elite players...Geno will figure out how to spread the minutes and those players will add to their college resume, they will play everyday with elite players in an elite system coached by the best coaches preparing themselves to play at the next level. What else could an elite athlete want...a decent education, great team mates, great coaching, great competition, national championships, and adequate preparation for the pros...that really is all they could ask for.

Yes, it is potentially possible to have 10 players all average 20 minutes each.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Must be a regional thing. If you say post player in Texas, you are talking about the center. Seems to be that way throughout the south.

Actually..... when I hear post players.... I think of the 4 and 5 positions. And Im in North Carolina... not sure if you Texans consider NC to be the South. :p

I am curious to see how good a player Howard is at MD. We will get the chance to see the top Center of the 2011 class vs the top Center in the 2012 class go head to head in the ACC next year.

Reaction Score
Ugh, we'll all be a lot hapier when this young lady makes here decision either way.

Reaction Score
Yup, it's regional. In Texas, a post is something you tie a horse to - a hitching post. In Connecticut, Post is a road, (Route 1) - something on which you go somewhere.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
How many players has Brenda developed for the WNBA? How many have starred? Why do you suppose that is?

Reaction Score
How many players has Brenda developed for the WNBA? How many have starred? Why do you suppose that is?
That's IS one reason to select Uconn. WAS a reason to select TN. I believe both schools currently have 11 alums in the WNBA.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ugh, we'll all be a lot hapier when this young lady makes here decision either way.

Or at least we will be a little less snarky ... we all have a certain amount of displaced hostility fulminating as a result of well - something that happened recently.

Reaction Score
Or at least we will be a little less snarky ... we all have a certain amount of displaced hostility fulminating as a result of well - something that happened recently.

YOU SHRINKS DRIVE ME NUTS. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020