Hope it's not true | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hope it's not true

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Every player will have their opportunity to start. Eventually. But you have to earn your stripes, as they say.

It's simple and Geno won't complicate it. Next year they lose one starter. Lewis will fill that slot.

The following year, Doty and Faris will be gone. 2 of the 3 sophs (Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck) that year will start. That will be an interesting decision, but a long way off.

I think all three sophs (Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck) start.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The top recruits in the 2013 class will have to decide how much they want to sit on the bench if they go to UCONN. UCONN has a tremendous class coming in next year and you have to wonder if the 2013 recruits may think twice about how much of an impact they will get to have their first couple of years.

Maryland has the top rated post player coming in for 2012 as well as the 4th ranked forward in the same class. They also have a verbal from the second ranked PG in the 2013 class.

Would it be out of the realm of imagination for DD to think that she could combine with this other top talent to challenge for a NC if she were to go to Maryland? Seems to me that MD is building a strong unit that could challenge UCONN, especially if DD choose to go to MD.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but until Maryland proves it can do something with that talent I stand by my comment that Maryland is a waste of talent. First off they can start to learn to play defense. I did not say they have no talent.

I think any coach/program that has a recent (2006) NC should be given a little more respect than that!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think all three sophs (Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck) start.
I'm not sure about that. You have seniors Hartley and Dolson along with the junior Lewis.

Tough call.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The top recruits in the 2013 class will have to decide how much they want to sit on the bench if they go to UCONN. UCONN has a tremendous class coming in next year and you have to wonder if the 2013 recruits may think twice about how much of an impact they will get to have their first couple of years.

Maryland has the top rated post player coming in for 2012 as well as the 4th ranked forward in the same class. They also have a verbal from the second ranked PG in the 2013 class.

Would it be out of the realm of imagination for DD to think that she could combine with this other top talent to challenge for a NC if she were to go to Maryland? Seems to me that MD is building a strong unit that could challenge UCONN, especially if DD choose to go to MD.
I'm sure ole' Brenda is pitching that to DD. Question is, how strong a unit is she really building in College Park?

BTW, assuming by "top rated post player" you mean Malina Howard, HG ranks her as the top CENTER, not the top post player, We all know who the top post player in the 2012 class is and she's not going to Maryland.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I doubt that any team will ever do what UCONN is doing now. But that does not mean that some other schools are not going to win championships, as well. Some probably said when Griner went to Baylor that she was wasting her talent by going there. And she may never win a championship. Who knows. But it certainly hasn't been a waste of talent.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think any coach/program that has a recent (2006) NC should be given a little more respect than that!
Why? It's not like they have even sniffed a Final Four since then. And it's not just a coincidence that Jeff Walz was there in 2006, and is not there any more.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm sure ole' Brenda is pitching that to DD. Question is, how strong a unit is she really building in College Park?

BTW, assuming by "top rated post player" you mean Malina Howard, HG ranks her as the top CENTER, not the top post player, We all know who the top post player in the 2012 class is and she's not going to Maryland.

Seriously, you are going to dispute that center is not a synonym for post player? The position description may have changed over the years but in my book a post player is a center.

Stewart is listed as a forward and Howard is listed as a center. Thus, Howard is listed as the top center/post player in 2012. It has been implied on this board that Stewart will not be strong enough to play center and will be more of a power forward, which seems to match the position that she is listed at by HG.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Well, in 2013 the UConn roster looks like this:

Seniors - Hartley, Dolson, Johnson, Engeln
Juniors - Lewis, Banks, Stokes
Sophs - Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck

I can see 15-20 minutes a game her freshman year and 25-30 her last 3 years. Where do you see an issue? And a chance to play on an historic team. They will be that good.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Why? It's not like they have even sniffed a Final Four since then. And it's not just a coincidence that Jeff Walz was there in 2006, and is not there any more.

Meaning that Walz is the person who got them there?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, in 2013 the UConn roster looks like this:

Seniors - Hartley, Dolson, Johnson, Engeln
Juniors - Lewis, Banks, Stokes
Sophs - Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck

I can see 15-20 minutes a game her freshman year and 25-30 her last 3 years. Where do you see an issue? And a chance to play on an historic team. They will be that good.

It is not just the minutes. It is how much will they be relied upon during those minutes. Lewis, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck are going to be the focal point of the offense for several years. Surely you cannot imply that a freshman is going to come in and be allowed to play a large part in the offensive game plan when those players are ahead of them. If DD wants to come in an make an immediate impact it would be hard to do at UCONN.

Reaction Score
They will roll in the mud if they have to, to get rid of body heat in the summer, but if they have a pen they will keep it cleaner than any other farm animal, always relieving themselves in one corner.

Plus, they are delicious.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It is not just the minutes. It is how much will they be relied upon during those minutes. Lewis, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck are going to be the focal point of the offense for several years. Surely you cannot imply that a freshman is going to come in and be allowed to play a large part in the offensive game plan when those players are ahead of them. If DD wants to come in an make an immediate impact it would be hard to do at UCONN.
If she is that good, she will make an impact. And she is.

Reaction Score

Because any coach who has won a NC has gotten a lot out of the talent (s)he had to work with, that's why. Categorical statements like "wasting talent" are disproved by success like that, IMNSHO.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Seriously, you are going to dispute that center is not a synonym for post player? The position description may have changed over the years but in my book a post player is a center.

Stewart is listed as a forward and Howard is listed as a center. Thus, Howard is listed as the top center/post player in 2012. It has been implied on this board that Stewart will not be strong enough to play center and will be more of a power forward, which seems to match the position that she is listed at by HG.
OK then say that Howard is the top rated center and be done with it instead of arguing stupid semantics.. Stop trying to pretend that Howard is even in the same universe as Stewart.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If one watched MD's run to the title then you recognize they won with a tremendous amount of luck and never approached the same success again although they continued to have most of the team intact. I saw the first two rounds at Penn State in person sitting directly behind the MD bench. Never again since that team and year have they had the same success. Largely it is because their teams demonstrate no commitment to defense.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Because any coach who has won a NC has gotten a lot out of the talent (s)he had to work with, that's why. Categorical statements like "wasting talent" are disproved by success like that, IMNSHO.
Except that there is some evidence that Jeff Walz was really the coach at Maryland that was making the most out of that talent in 2006.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If one watched MD's run to the title then you recognize they won with a tremendous amount of luck and never approached the same success again although they continued to have most of the team intact. Never again since that team have the same success. Largely it is because their teams demonstrate no commitment to defense.
Hm, you sure you aren't talking about this year's Husky men? Intact and all that. Of course, there is an earlier resume that the men's program can point to, but once in a while an improbable team catches lightning in a bottle and the UConn men had Thor on the team last year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

No center is not synonymous with post player. In many, maybe most systems both the 4 and 5 positions are post players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If she is that good, she will make an impact. And she is.

But is that a risk that she is willing to take? You never know how these young players think.

I thought that Griner being at Baylor would help bring in top talent that would want to win a championship with her. But instead I think that a lot of players shied away from playing with a player that they knew would such a heavy focal point of the offense.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No center is not synonymous with post player. In many, maybe most systems both the 4 and 5 positions are post players.

4s may post up, as do guards, but in my book a post player is a center. Wikipedia also recognizes that the terms can be interchangeable.
"The center, colloquially known as the five or the post, is one of the standard positions in a regulation basketball game and is commonly abbreviated "C". The center is normally the tallest player on the team, and often has a great deal of strength and body mass as well. A typical NBA center is between 6'10" (2.08 m) and 7'3" (2.21 m)."

Maybe it is a geographic thing.

So, to make everyone happier, Maryland has the top center, which was my overall point, that Maryland is bringing in top talent that DD can feel comfortable about playing with.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
4s may post up, as do guards, but in my book a post player is a center.

So, to make everyone happier, Maryland has the top center, which was my overall point, that Maryland is bringing in top talent that DD can feel comfortable about playing with.
That may be in your book but as someone who reads numerous coaching books I can definitively say that 4s are regularly referred to as posts by coaches and not simply as in posting up.

Reaction Score
If one watched MD's run to the title then you recognize they won with a tremendous amount of luck and never approached the same success again although they continued to have most of the team intact. I saw the first two rounds at Penn State in person sitting directly behind the MD bench. Never again since that team and year have they had the same success. Largely it is because their teams demonstrate no commitment to defense.

That was largely true. He (Walz) was certainly a major component and MD has never been as good.

This year L'ville is giving up 61.0 points/game and MD is giving up 60.2. Your point is..... what, exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom