Holy Maryland > B1G is a B1G Mess | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Holy Maryland > B1G is a B1G Mess

Reaction Score
I think I remember something bad happening at Penn State, too!
Lol. Also like at Ohio State now, the head coach was the only coach there apparently not aware of what was going on right under his nose.

I am just amazed that the NCAA only investigates what it feels comfortable investigating. The larger programs really do intimidate them. Years ago a former athletic director of the City of Bridgeport told me he knew first hand that Charles Smith was paid $60k to play at Pittsburgh, and that was just the tip of the iceberg of what went on in college basketball and football.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Years ago a former athletic director of the City of Bridgeport told me he knew first hand that Charles Smith was paid $60k to play at Pittsburgh, and that was just the tip of the iceberg of what went on in college basketball and football.

The City of Bridgeport used to have an athletic director?

Reaction Score
Schools start early in Arizona
and football practices were going on in last weeks 110 degree temps.
(The high will be only a very pleasant 100 today) Football practice is normally at night and it get dark earlier here with no DST. thank god.
You would think kids would drop like flies but it rarely happens.
As desert residents kids are trained early on hydration , every little kid carries big bottles or multiple bottles of water to school daily.
In fact there is a law on the books that makes it an offense to refuse water to anyone who asks. Most Banks hand out bottled water to customers or anyone who asks.
The people who die out here are typically tourists carrying too little water or drank cola, alcohol or even coffee before hiking. All increase dehydration.
Even my big beer drinking buddy would have water between his beers.
To give you an idea of the bodies water loss in this desert heat . When I golfed daily in summer I would drink
40-60 ounces of water during 18 holes and never once urinate.
Sweat evaporated so quickly you didn’t even realize you were sweating.
If you didn’t replace that loss
the consequences could be death.
Rarely will an Arizona resident leave home without water especially in summer. That’s something we never thought about or prepared for back east. When I first moved here I did get dehydrated once the symptoms were flu like. I thought I was dieing.
After that I added an electrolyte supplement to my water during summer golf.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

My guess is he was more likely the AD for the entire Bridgeport school system. When I was in HS in CT we had a Director of Athletics that worked for the school system, covering both high schools and all the junior high athletic programs.

Reaction Score
Yes there was, the official title was director of physical education for the City of Bridgeport. Back in the MBIAC days it was an important post.

Reaction Score
My guess is he was more likely the AD for the entire Bridgeport school system. When I was in HS in CT we had a Director of Athletics that worked for the school system, covering both high schools and all the junior high athletic programs.
That's exactly right.

Reaction Score
If I were a Terp season ticket holder I would drop my tickets until they fired the whole staff. And I would try to get others to do the same. These guys should go to jail.

Reaction Score
Schools start early in Arizona
and football practices were going on in last weeks 110 degree temps.
(The high will be only a very pleasant 100 today) Football practice is normally at night and it get dark earlier here with no DST. thank god.
You would think kids would drop like flies but it rarely happens.
As desert residents kids are trained early on hydration , every little kid carries big bottles or multiple bottles of water to school daily.
In fact there is a law on the books that makes it an offense to refuse water to anyone who asks. Most Banks hand out bottled water to customers or anyone who asks.
The people who die out here are typically tourists carrying too little water or drank cola, alcohol or even coffee before hiking. All increase dehydration.

I went to Tuscon last February for a Dude ranch vacation. With both of my kids into baseball, I noted that all of the baseball fields we went by have lights for obvious reasons. That said, the local can handle the heat; but, the cold is an entirely different monster. The week I was there, it did not get above 70, couldn't drive up Mt. Lemmon as there was 2 feet of snow on the road in the higher elevations, and it was close to freezing my final night their after driving back to Phoenix to fly home. Folks were dropping like flies (then again, most homes in AZ don't have heat).

Reaction Score
Worth a read if really interested...

Discussion on the unlikelihood of criminal charges being filed @ the end...

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Muschamp decrying "annonymous sources" in the context of a dead 22 year old kid is a moral & ethical disgrace. A player died. He is not anonymous. God I hate the NCAA, the NCAA money, the culture that explosion of NCAA money has created. I need to take a shower.

Agreed but the NCAA does what the members demand. It’s Maryland at fault here.

Reaction Score
Dodd: Eight years of Big Ten scandals paint unflattering picture, but connecting dots may be unfair

>>It must be acknowledged that arguably the nation's richest conference is going through one of its roughest off-field patches. Since 2011 -- the year the Jerry Sandusky scandal broke at Penn State -- to the current Maryland investigation, there have been at least 16 high-profile instances of alleged wrongdoing in Big Ten athletic departments involving 11 of the conference's 14 schools.

In that span, four football coaches were fired for issues unrelated to winning football games. Two more might join that group soon in Ohio State's Urban Meyer and Maryland's DJ Durkin.<<

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
What a scummy conference. But that won't prevent ESPN this fall from portraying the Big 10 as the paragon of college athletics.

It's so nauseating.

Reaction Score
Worth a read if really interested...

Discussion on the unlikelihood of criminal charges being filed @ the end...

Actually the article lays out precisely why he should be charged and then concludes because a jury didn’t convict in a similar case, no charges would be levied. A good DA interested in stopping this insanity convenes a grand jury to at least get a potential indictment.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
They agreed to add Rutgers in November 2012, a month before Rice's first suspension for abusing his players.

How does that tarnish the Big 10's image? You just proved my point.

There are plenty of other things that have tarnished their image. You don't have to go reaching for false ones.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom