OT: - Holly Warlick has competition for clueless coach at UTenn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Holly Warlick has competition for clueless coach at UTenn

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm sure hosting makes a big difference. No lower seeded team has won so far and the only series still going is LSU and Florida St. They are playing a double header due to a storm arriving tomorrow. SEC teams are going down left and right. Only 2 have advanced so far and FSU is up 3-0 in the top of the 4th. The two that advanced beat other SEC teams. They had 9 of the 16 teams in the Super Regionals but 6 of those have been eliminated.

4 Pac 12 teams advanced +Oklahoma and potentially FSU to join Florida and Georgia.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Dreaming of going to the tourney in OKC someday. Anyone know about logistics of getting tickets?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Dreaming of going to the tourney in OKC someday. Anyone know about logistics of getting tickets?
We haven't been recently, but I really, really recommend it. We went first back in the mid '90's and UCLA won with Stacy Neuvmann (sp), IIRC. With following RU WBB and living in NJ, we never made it back until we moved out here and we went in either 2011 or 2012. I will admit, we didn't stay for the 3 day championship series, but enjoyed the 12 or 13 games Thursday - Sunday. We were supposed to go back the following year, but the tornadoes were really, really predicted to be bad (and were, as it turned out). So we sold our tickets instead of going. Then my wife's health started to worsen and she is in no way able to go.

I think - assuming her liver transplant happens successfully - that we will eventually try and go again. It would be "special" if AZ was in it, although I wouldn't want my tickets from AZ.

As to tickets - what I know - not really "current" but probably still about right:

- You can renew your tix from year to year. So the really good tix under the overhang behind home plate are (now) pretty impossible to get. Back in our '90's visit, that's where we sat.
- The teams have tickets for their own games only. They have an entire section (essentially the first section not under the overhang towards the base-line) The second time we went we were in the next section over and had renewed them, although we had a partially obstructed view (TV camera).
- I can only imagine parking - but they handle it well. We had a mess up in the parking (IIRC the stadium lot was sold out, but doing cash for handicapped tags but the person taking the money didn't know what he was doing and tried to refuse us entry) and in the end we were comped for all sessions, but that's not normal.
- It was tremendous fun, if hot. There were food trucks and such, although we also went out to eat between the afternoon and evening sessions. And unlike regular games, you can keep softballs hit into the stands (or, you could when we were there). We have one (from the 1st time).
- The only crowded sessions are those involving Oklahoma.

Great fun!!!!

Reaction Score
Apparently, the coaching ineptness at UTenn is wider than the usually Holly Follies.

Bonehead decisions in must win game *Geogia was up 1 game to 0) knocks UTenn Womens softball out of Super Regionals.

1) In a 0-0 game in top of 7, after giving up a leadoff single, "coach" replaces ace and Georgia goes up 1-0.

2) In bottom of 7, "coach" pinch hits for one of best hitters on Tenn with bench player (around .230 with no RBI in season). Player defies the odds and on a "CHECK SWING", hits an excuse me puff ball that ties the score at 1-1.

3) Top of 8, UG tees off on replacement pitcher with a HR and solid hits (Goes up 2-1 ) and then goes back to "ace" who retires the side.

But damage is done. Georgia holds on after stellar defensive play by UG center fielder.

Maybe I am too harsh but "puke city"

eebmg- - - I'm sorry to disagree but Holly Warlick has just about retired the "clueless coach" title she has taken lost in space to a new level! In the last couple of years she has taken good recruiting classes and with-in 1 month has them playing worse than when they came in finishing each year on a downward death plunge!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
eebmg- - - I'm sorry to disagree but Holly Warlick has just about retired the "clueless coach" title she has taken lost in space to a new level! In the last couple of years she has taken good recruiting classes and with-in 1 month has them playing worse than when they came in finishing each year on a downward death plunge!

My reaction was more visceral than a deep comparison and ignored their full coaching histories.

Based on Charlieball's comment, I looked a little deeper.

Based on your comment, I investigated the coaching situation (I have no experience with softball history) and you are correct. The Weekly's deserve respect for taking over a poor program and very quickly making them a national competitive power. They do seem to be falling off the last 3 years and I guess I should wait to hear the explanations behind the coaching decisions but uugh.

Holly is still #1.

Reaction Score
Knightbridge, Oklahoma is a fun team to watch. Players 1-9 are up there hacking, with no slapping IIRC. (This year's team). They have a player who has 27 homers this year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Oklahoma has gotten really good the last 5+ years or so as well, I think a couple Titles for them and usually in the hunt. They squashed Arkansas in their Super Regional this week.
Yup, the Sooners are really good, the two time defending champions and 3 out of the last 4. Reminds me of another great Women's team.
But I have to admit, I do like how different teams usually win the championship every year and this year may be no different, with a lot of really great walk off wins and come backs so far! Down to the Elite Eight, with the Top 8 seeds all reaching. Even the Top 16 reached the Sweet Sixteen.
And I am glad to see a thread on college softball even though it's soooooo OT!!!

Reaction Score
Slappers used to be a HUGE part of college softball, but there was a recent rule change where you are automatically called out if your feet leave the batters box before you make contact with the ball. Slappers were on the move well before the ball got to the plate. You just don't see it as much as you used to.

Hitting home runs is nice, but if you can get runners on base and advance them and push runs across the plate, a whole bunch of singles works just fine.

Before this year, it was legal as long as the any part of the batter's foot was touching any part of the lines of the batter's box. Now the entire foot must stay completely within the batter's box at the moment the ball is hit. That makes it much tougher on the batter.

The umpiring on that call has been inconsistent. It is almost impossible for the home plate umpire to properly call balls and strikes while at the same time looking at the batter's foot.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Before this year, it was legal as long as the any part of the batter's foot was touching any part of the lines of the batter's box. Now the entire foot must stay completely within the batter's box at the moment the ball is hit. That makes it much tougher on the batter.

The umpiring on that call has been inconsistent. It is almost impossible for the home plate umpire to properly call balls and strikes while at the same time looking at the batter's foot.
Another inconsistent call that rears it's ugly head at Tournament time is the notorious illegal pitch. These kids pitch with the same process all season, then get to the Tournament where they see all new umpires and get called all over the place. One team had like 11 calls against them...in one game! I guess that's why they changed the penalty finally.

Reaction Score
Speaking from personal experience as a softball umpire, yes it is extremely difficult to call the pitch and watch the batter's feet at the same time, especially in fast pitch when you have a girl throwing in the mid to high 60's with good movement on the ball.

The whole illegal pitch issue is quite another problem. Does the pitcher drag her foot? Well, it depends. If the mound has had a trench dug in it by the pitcher, she might not drag but is the pitch really illegal if her motion and landing point are the same as they were at the start of the game?

Is she hopping and not dragging the toe (legal in international play)? Is she leaping and getting a second push off her back foot before delivering the ball which is definitely illegal and gives the pitcher and unfair advantage (Kelly Barnhill anyone?).

The rule seems to be called differently from conference to conference which adds to the confusion. Seems like the NCAA is tweaking the pitching rules every season.

Reaction Score
You truly have some great programs in the field at the WCWS.

UCLA - A history of excellence current leader of National Championships with 12
OU- Looking to become the 2nd team to 3- peat. 4 National Championships total, currently.
Florida- 2 National Championships and always a contender.
UW- 1 National Championship been to WCWS over a dozen times.
FSU- Looking to claim first Championship but has been there 10 times.
Oregon- Looking to claim first and if they do not win this year, I expect one will happen soon.
Georgia- Not new to WCWS, but looking for it's first Championship
Arizona St- Has one and is back in the field after a few years.

Everyone was all about the SEC, but the OG conference took over this year. I may have to put my Green and Gold aside and cheer the Sooners on!

Also, Tenn coaches are not bad imo.

Reaction Score
after looking at the brackets it seems set up for an Oklahoma - UCLA final but these teams are all so good that anything can happen.........it all comes down to pitching and most of these teams have at least two really good starters.........

Reaction Score
after looking at the brackets it seems set up for an Oklahoma - UCLA final but these teams are all so good that anything can happen....it all comes down to pitching and most of these teams have at least two really good starters....

Oregon, OU, Florida each have at least two pitchers that could carry other teams on their own. UCLA rely's heavily on Garcia, but still have a good staff behind her. I think we will see some great performances and some deep balls.

Reaction Score
Oregon, OU, Florida each have at least two pitchers that could carry other teams on their own. UCLA rely's heavily on Garcia, but still have a good staff behind her. I think we will see some great performances and some deep balls.

I've had two kids to root for this season........the daughter of my kid's long time pitching coach has had a really good freshman season as a starting pitcher for South Carolina (Kelsey Oh).......she started against Arizona State the other day and gave up a couple of runs before being replaced and another freshman who played with my daughter in high school who plays for UCLA (Julie Rodriguez)............to show you how good UCLA is, this kid was the number seven high school player in the country, hit like four home runs in preseason and maybe had twenty at bats this year mostly as a pinch hitter.........they are just stacked at every position.........pretty good for two kids from New Jersey which isn't really known as a prolific softball state

Reaction Score
I've had two kids to root for this season...the daughter of my kid's long time pitching coach has had a really good freshman season as a starting pitcher for South Carolina (Kelsey Oh)..she started against Arizona State the other day and gave up a couple of runs before being replaced and another freshman who played with my daughter in high school who plays for UCLA (Julie Rodriguez)..to show you how good UCLA is, this kid was the number seven high school player in the country, hit like four home runs in preseason and maybe had twenty at bats this year mostly as a pinch hitter....they are just stacked at every position....pretty good for two kids from New Jersey which isn't really known as a prolific softball state

I mean she is playing behind a Sophomore pitcher who just won player of the year and hits very well too. She must be good to be on that squad and she has one of the current best pitchers in the game and one of the GOATs to learn from.

I love coach Gasso from OU. Love her mentality and how coaches the game. Also, don't mind Georgia they always are scrappy no matter what season.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I know that due to all SEC teams making the tournament that there was no way that it could be prevented, but it seemed like there were an awful lot of SEC vs. SEC in the Regionals and Super Regionals, thus ensuring that most would not reach the World Series.
But on the other hand, I had no problem with the seedings except for just one team.

Reaction Score
I know that due to all SEC teams making the tournament that there was no way that it could be prevented, but it seemed like there were an awful lot of SEC vs. SEC in the Regionals and Super Regionals, thus ensuring that most would not reach the World Series.
But on the other hand, I had no problem with the seedings except for just one team.

Whom would that be? I was sad BU didn't get seeded, since they were an RPI top 16 team. However, I knew they didn't have the pitching staff to make it to supers this year so I wasn't but butt hurt because I am a fan that is level headed. I mean SEC could have had 4 teams make it. KU, Bama, SC, and Arkansas. All played others this year and just got beat by the PAC 12 and OU. So the SEC could have had up to 6 teams in the WCWS.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Whom would that be? I was sad BU didn't get seeded, since they were an RPI top 16 team. However, I knew they didn't have the pitching staff to make it to supers this year so I wasn't but butt hurt because I am a fan that is level headed. I mean SEC could have had 4 teams make it. KU, Bama, SC, and Arkansas. All played others this year and just got beat by the PAC 12 and OU. So the SEC could have had up to 6 teams in the WCWS.
I thought that Pitt, as regular season division champion and tournament runner up, should have been picked instead of ND.

Reaction Score
I thought that Pitt, as regular season division champion and tournament runner up, should have been picked instead of ND.

I actually agree and thought the same thing. Other than that I thought they did well with the seeding of teams. It obviously showed since all the seeds made it to supers and top 8 all in WCWS.

Reaction Score
I mean she is playing behind a Sophomore pitcher who just won player of the year and hits very well too. She must be good to be on that squad and she has one of the current best pitchers in the game and one of the GOATs to learn from.

I love coach Gasso from OU. Love her mentality and how coaches the game. Also, don't mind Georgia they always are scrappy no matter what season.

the funny thing is she originally was going to play for Boston College but she had a great junior season and all of a sudden was getting recruited by a bunch of SEC schools.........which is a bit unusual ...........we have another pitcher who has a verbal with Tennessee named Ryleigh White so I guess the SEC is looking north for a change

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Pac 12 schools knocked out at least 5 SEC teams.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon, OU, Florida each have at least two pitchers that could carry other teams on their own.

Alvelo and Plain from UW are a potent combination as well. Alvelo looked to be back in top form in her last outing after struggling w/ an injury for several weeks. They have the pitching, but their offense has gone dormant at times down the stretch.

Reaction Score

yes Oh has surpassed expectations this season.......I hope her great play continues.........Gasso is a cool customer, she obviously know how to coach and how to recruit........I enjoy watching SEC softball.......the quality of play and the parity between many of the teams makes for exciting play.......

Reaction Score
Alvelo and Plain from UW are a potent combination as well. Alvelo looked to be back in top form in her last outing after struggling w/ an injury for several weeks. They have the pitching, but their offense has gone dormant at times down the stretch.

how the Oregon and Washington teams can even compete against the warm weather PAC12 teams amazes me considering the weather......I assume they train in California or Arizona but even so they don't get outside every day like the other teams do and indoor play is just not the same.......

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
how the Oregon and Washington teams can even compete against the warm weather PAC12 teams amazes me considering the weather.I assume they train in California or Arizona but even so they don't get outside every day like the other teams do and indoor play is just not the same..

It does put them at a disadvantage, but they seem to overcome it. Oregon St. has an excellent baseball program, possibly the best in the conference if you look back over the last decade or so.

Now sand volleyball, that's kind of comical to even think about doing that in the spring in the NW. I don't think all of the Pac 12 schools participate but I know UW does. It's mostly their indoor players on the team but they have a few players that are strictly sand players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom