OT: - Holly Warlick has competition for clueless coach at UTenn | The Boneyard

OT: Holly Warlick has competition for clueless coach at UTenn

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Apparently, the coaching ineptness at UTenn is wider than the usually Holly Follies.

Bonehead decisions in must win game *Geogia was up 1 game to 0) knocks UTenn Womens softball out of Super Regionals.

1) In a 0-0 game in top of 7, after giving up a leadoff single, "coach" replaces ace and Georgia goes up 1-0.

2) In bottom of 7, "coach" pinch hits for one of best hitters on Tenn with bench player (around .230 with no RBI in season). Player defies the odds and on a "CHECK SWING", hits an excuse me puff ball that ties the score at 1-1.

3) Top of 8, UG tees off on replacement pitcher with a HR and solid hits (Goes up 2-1 ) and then goes back to "ace" who retires the side.

But damage is done. Georgia holds on after stellar defensive play by UG center fielder.

Maybe I am too harsh but "puke city"

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe a bit harsh. Another 4 feet on that shot to center, and UT is a walk-off winner. Neither team floats my boat, but the game was, on the whole, entertaining. No?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe a bit harsh. Another 4 feet on that shot to center, and UT is a walk-off winner. Neither team floats my boat, but the game was, on the whole, entertaining. No?

No doubt. Very entertaining. "Puke" was directed to the coaching decisions. Tough for a team to go out that way .

Reaction Score
hey even good coaches can make mistakes..........I sure wouldn't put the Weeklys in a club with Holly W since they have like a .765 winning percentage in the SEC which is the toughest softball conference in the country plus a bunch of regional NCAA tournament wins, and two NCAA championship finalist teams.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Always happy to see an SEC team lose but the bad news it was to another SEC team. 3 of the Super Regional are pitting Pac 12 against SEC teams. I remember the good ol' days when a Pac team won the Championship every year, without fail, but that era is over.

Reaction Score
Always happy to see an SEC team lose but the bad news it was to another SEC team. 3 of the Super Regional are pitting Pac 12 against SEC teams. I remember the good ol' days when a Pac team won the Championship every year, without fail, but that era is over.

I would say UCLA has a pretty good chance to win it this year........they've got a couple of great pitchers and a really good hitting line up

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
hey even good coaches can make mistakes.....I sure wouldn't put the Weeklys in a club with Holly W since they have like a .765 winning percentage in the SEC which is the toughest softball conference in the country plus a bunch of regional NCAA tournament wins, and two NCAA championship finalist teams.

Based on your comment, I investigated the coaching situation (I have no experience with softball history) and you are correct. The Weekly's deserve respect for taking over a poor program and very quickly making them a national competitive power. They do seem to be falling off the last 3 years and I guess I should wait to hear the explanations behind the coaching decisions but uugh.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I would say UCLA has a pretty good chance to win it this year...they've got a couple of great pitchers and a really good hitting line up

I'd be happy w/ any Pac 12 team pulling it off. UW was great most of the season but totally lost their mojo after getting swept down the stretch in back to back series by UCLA and Oregon. Their pitching was fine but their bats went silent. Their #1 pitcher missed some time w/ injury and not sure she's 100% yet, but luckily their #2 pitcher is also really good. Offensive was quiet again last night but they rallied in the 7th and extra innings to squeak out a win. Oregon got shellacked in game 1 against Kentucky but bounced back yesterday. Not sure about ASU but they are up 1-0 in their Super.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...I remember the good ol' days when a Pac team won the Championship every year, without fail, but that era is over.

Is it ever! Mrs. BigBird and I were watching the TV coverage while discussing this very point. A team like Arizona used to have a dozen players who could start at any other school in the universe. Today, the Arizonas might have just three or four really outstanding players, but after that, the lineup is mostly role players and second echelon talent. Great players have more quality choices than they did ten years ago. The SEC got good (real good, actually) in one heck of a hurry. So did a flock of other teams.

So, while there are now more high-power choices than we saw in the 1980’s, a look at the top 20 rankings reveals a situation much like what we see in WBB. The chances of somebody below the top 20 winning it all are, basically, zero. In both sports, the home field/court advantage is significant. The favorites marched through the regionals like Sherman marched through Georgia. This is not accidental.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd be happy w/ any Pac 12 team pulling it off. UW was great most of the season but totally lost their mojo after getting swept down the stretch in back to back series by UCLA and Oregon. Their pitching was fine but their bats went silent. Their #1 pitcher missed some time w/ injury and not sure she's 100% yet, but luckily their #2 pitcher is also really good. Offensive was quiet again last night but they rallied in the 7th and extra innings to squeak out a win. Oregon got shellacked in game 1 against Kentucky but bounced back yesterday. Not sure about ASU but they are up 1-0 in their Super.

still a very tough conference at the top at least..........Oregon beat UCLA twice early in the season........usually comes down to pitching.........the fact that UCLA doesn't have to rely on just one ace gives them quite an advantage in these playoffs...........

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The SEC got good (real good, actually) in one heck of a hurry. So did a flock of other teams.

I distinctly remember toward the end of the Pac 12 dominance era, ESPN was blatantly showing their bias, wishing so hard that a SEC team would finally win a Title. They got their wish eventually, but it was always fun to see their hopes dashed again.

Oklahoma has gotten really good the last 5+ years or so as well, I think a couple Titles for them and usually in the hunt. They squashed Arkansas in their Super Regional this week.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
still a very tough conference at the top at least

polls might be fairly meaningless but 3 of the top 5 pretty much all season and 4 in the top 10, plus one more in the top 15 I believe

Reaction Score
I distinctly remember toward the end of the Pac 12 dominance era, ESPN was blatantly showing their bias, wishing so hard that a SEC team would finally win a Title. They got their wish eventually, but it was always fun to see their hopes dashed again.

Oklahoma has gotten really good the last 5+ years or so as well, I think a couple Titles for them and usually in the hunt. They squashed Arkansas in their Super Regional this week.

I've been an Oklahoma fan for a while now ..........they always seem to have a couple of big pitchers and a nice mix of speed and home run hitters........I'd say UCLA and the Sooners are probably the two strongest teams.........

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I've been an Oklahoma fan for a while now .....they always seem to have a couple of big pitchers and a nice mix of speed and home run hitters...I'd say UCLA and the Sooners are probably the two strongest teams....

Agreed. Oklahoma seems to always have a tall, strong, and skilled pitching staff. And they are well coached. UCLA has been a tough out for as long as I can remember.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
TAMU just goes up 3-2 on 2 run homer in Top of the 7th. FL in deep trouble.

Reaction Score
TAMU just goes up 3-2 on 2 run homer in Top of the 7th. FL in deep trouble.

If I'm not mistaken Florida was the #1 ranked team in the country for a good part of the season.......

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Florida gets a two out 3 run homer in the bottom of the 7th to win.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken Florida was the #1 ranked team in the country for a good part of the season..

I think UW was #1 for the majority of the season, and then Oregon replaced them. Maybe Florida was #1 early.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Florida gets a two out 3 run homer in the bottom of the 7th to win.

Unbelievable. From a freshman. Feel bad for TAMU. They had lost game 1 on some real poor defensive plays and now this. Brutal.

Got to admit, really getting into the Tournament. The level of stress at the end of these close games is incredible.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Unbelievable. From a freshman. Feel bad for TAMU. They had lost game 1 on some real poor defensive plays and now this. Brutal.

Got to admit, really getting into the Tournament. The level of stress at the end of these close games is incredible.

That poor pitcher is gonna be haunted by that pitch for a long time.

I used to get pretty into the World Series. Haven't watched as much in recent years. I've watched a bit of the Regionals and Super Regionals this year. My hometown Huskies are up 3-0 fairly early and just chased the starting pitcher, bases juiced w/ only 1 out.

edited--dang it, replacement pitcher got out of the jam w/ no further damage done; I think they said it was her first post season appearance of her career

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like Alvelo is regaining her form for UW. Cruising, only a few base runners allowed thru 5 2/3 innings, UW up 6-0. Keep adding runs just about every inning.

So...does any other ball park have an eagle keeping watch from the top of a tree just beyond the center field wall? Seems like it's there during every game at UW. Watching the game sometimes and other times scanning the horizon. Right next to Lake Washington where breakfast, lunch and dinner is swimming around.

Reaction Score
Do coaches recruit "slappers" or is that a hitting strategy employed on some players after they are recruited? Viewing the regionals and Supers, I noticed I think TN has more slappers. I can't imagine this strategy working in certain instances at this level of competition.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Slappers used to be a HUGE part of college softball, but there was a recent rule change where you are automatically called out if your feet leave the batters box before you make contact with the ball. Slappers were on the move well before the ball got to the plate. You just don't see it as much as you used to.

Hitting home runs is nice, but if you can get runners on base and advance them and push runs across the plate, a whole bunch of singles works just fine.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Florida St. and LSU are in the freaking 11th inning! FSU got a solo and then a 2 run homer to take a 8-5 lead in the top of the inning, only 1 out. I think LSU is on their 4th pitcher but FSU still has their starter in?

Oregon is rocking Kentucky, up 7-0 and 3 homers (one grand slam).

edited--oops, LSU's starter pitched 10 1/3 before getting chased w/ the 2 homers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom