Hobbies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hobbies

Reaction Score
Other than stalking HS kid recruits, what other things do you guys / girls like to do?

I have an infant son now so my partying days are behind me. I'm wrapping up a huge work project and will have more free time soon. Time that's better spent off the cesspool. As I'm a structural engineer by trade, I like puzzles and to build things. I just put together one of these at nights after the little one goes to sleep:

I also bought some basic robotics kits and am looking into online puzzle sites like Lumosity. Any other suggestions? Or maybe just mention strange things that peak your interest. Without a doubt there are some LARPers on here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Metal detecting.
Been doing this on and off for a number of years. I really enjoy not knowing what I may pull out of the ground. Ive found thousands of things over the years. Gold and silver coins from the Colonial era through today including a coin that I found in CT that was pre 1776. Many artifacts from the Civil War including bullets,buttons and belt buckles. My wife also likes the gold and silver jewelry that she gets to where.

Reaction Score
Metal detecting.
Been doing this on and off for a number of years. I really enjoy not knowing what I may pull out of the ground. Ive found thousands of things over the years. Gold and silver coins from the Colonial era through today including a coin that I found in CT that was pre 1776. Many artifacts from the Civil War including bullets,buttons and belt buckles. My wife also likes the gold and silver jewelry that she gets to where.
Where did you find that old pre-1776 coin? Just curious.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've started taking classes at a local forge. If you've seen Forged in Fire, my goal in retirement in a little over a year is to buy some land and setup a forge. I also intend to do some metal work and wood work.
This is awesome. Just curious, where is "the local forge." I feel like my town is lacking one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Metal detecting.
Gary Drayton? That you?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My dad did that and ship models from blueprints - cutting his own wood, soldering his own metal and sewing his own sails.
I was kidding, but that’s very cool.

Reaction Score
That's one of his smallest ones. Did the Charles W. Morgan- about 3' high and 4' long. Mom wants it to go to Mystic when she dies.

Attachments

• 2019-12-07 16.39.35.jpg
    2019-12-07 16.39.35.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Music, radio production, cooking/grilling, hiking, tennis, historical documentaries...

You see the Ken Burns country music doc that came out earlier this year? I heard it's really really good

Reaction Score
It’s funny, now that I am 51 and an empty nester, I seem to have less hobbies. I used to play golf twice a week, but haven’t touched my clubs in 2 years. I used to play guitar, writing/recording songs and learning new covers on guitar but it’s been about a year since I touched my guitar. And this is the first year I am not playing any team sports - no hoops team or softball this year.

Hobbies I am still doing: I am a semi professional bass guitarist - which means it’s still a hobby but I get paid to play. And running which I have recently intensified - I trained for and ran my first marathon earlier this year. I also did four half marathons this year. Right now I am training for the Dopey Challenge at Disney in January which for those not familiar with runDisney is completing a 5K, 10k, half marathon and then full marathon on four consecutive days (48.6 miles).

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm a weekend painter. This one won best-in-show West Hartford Art League.
View attachment 48935
Nice
I was a fine arts major - specialty was watercolors and acrylic
Won several awards throughout New England
Have been a banker for almost 40 years and soccer coach so my time for art is nil
But have been taking tons of study work photos and will try to dive into it again when i retire soon
Keep it up, I'm envious

Reaction Score
Fishing, particularly for Smallmouth Bass. Buying collections of old stuff. Traveling to Maine and Vermont. Hitting the best pizza places around. Catching exotic species of fish in the Everglades and the Big Cypress National Preserve. Listening to classic Rock and other vintage music on vinyl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom