Hobbies | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hobbies

Reaction Score
Other than stalking HS kid recruits, what other things do you guys / girls like to do?

I have an infant son now so my partying days are behind me. I'm wrapping up a huge work project and will have more free time soon. Time that's better spent off the cesspool. As I'm a structural engineer by trade, I like puzzles and to build things. I just put together one of these at nights after the little one goes to sleep:

I also bought some basic robotics kits and am looking into online puzzle sites like Lumosity. Any other suggestions? Or maybe just mention strange things that peak your interest. Without a doubt there are some LARPers on here.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Botany is a science. Indoor horticulture, on the other hand, is a calling. Excuse me but I believe the that Durban Poison is on the other line...
who said anything about 'indoor?' signed 'kush X cheese +yankee ingenuity.'

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Woodworking. My shop takes up all the storage space in the garage! Shelving units, free standing or built ins and cabinetry are my specialties.
Reading: wide variety of topics. Just finished the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.
Bike riding.
Playing into two bands. Since retirement, I have joined two bands in our community. One is a 15 piece swing band that plays the likes of In the Mood and Moonlight Serenade (original arrangements) to a wide variety of pop tunes. The other band is an 8 piece backup for 5 singers. We do Motown, R & B nd Pop - which covers a wide range. Swing Band catalogue has 170 arrangements. The backup band has a catalogue 60 arrangements. weekly practices of 2.5 hours for each group. Each band has 5 performance per year.

Now I have to confess I am a professional musician, trumpet player plus guitar and a little bass. 33 years as a public school band director and raising 3 boys didn't leave me time to play. So I'm getting to do it now, playing lead trumpet, and its a blast!

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
If I had the extra money I would chase storms, specifically hurricanes. Always been fascinated by weather. Almost went to University of Miami for Meteorology but ended up at UConn instead because UConn basketball was more important to me.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Botany is a science. Indoor horticulture, on the other hand, is a calling. Excuse me but I believe the that Durban Poison is on the other line...

Durban poison is a bear indoors. Kudos.

Reaction Score
and i've recently committed myself to playing pick-up 2 - 3 times per week! i need a lot of work on the jumper...
I started playing about twice a week five years ago after not playing for nearly 12 years. I'm still trying to find my jump shot. It comes and goes.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
My #1 hobby is mountain biking. I turned 50 this year and rode more than I ever have, nearly 400 technical, single-track miles in 2019.
I also enjoy good Scotch, good beer and good cigars.
I’m actually looking into this now and I’m the same age as you. I need to replace pick up basketball.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My oldest son's sensei started pestering me nearly two years ago. It took him a little over three months, but I've take up martial arts. Has returned at least a trace amount of flexibility to this nearly 43 year old body (I just cringed at the sight of that number).

I can appreciate MMA a little better than just two guys (or women) pounding on each other.

Reaction Score
I’m actually looking into this now and I’m the same age as you. I need to replace pick up basketball.

I'll probably go back to road biking/swimming/triathlon once my knees can't handle hoops anymore . . .

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I'll probably go back to road biking/swimming/triathlon once my knees can't handle hoops anymore . . .
It’s like everyone around me is tearing their Achilles or ACL at 45-50 years old playing pick up basketball. Male and female. Smh

Reaction Score
My oldest son's sensei started pestering me nearly two years ago. It took him a little over three months, but I've take up martial arts. Has returned at least a trace amount of flexibility to this nearly 43 year old body (I just cringed at the sight of that number).

I can appreciate MMA a little better than just two guys (or women) pounding on each other.
42-43 is young. Some people take up jujutsu, weights, etc. when they're in their 60's and 70's.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
i have played guitar in punk bands for most of my life, and that dominates the time i spend outside of my job as a non-profit grant-writer. i also like reading fiction, biking, and cooking.

and i've recently committed myself to playing pick-up 2 - 3 times per week! i need a lot of work on the jumper...
Do you have some favorite punk bands/songs?

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Durban poison is a bear indoors. Kudos.
Not me, a friend. White Rhino and DP harvest (legal!) this weekend!
And yes DP is a problematic phenotype - large distance between nodes means lots of twisting and tying. Would like to put it outdoors here but there is a night-flying moth whose larvae find it especially delicious. We know it's night flying because when we did outdoor/indoor (pots put out in morning, brought back in at night) we had no problems, where plants left outdoors all the time were infested by harvest season.

Reaction Score
It's a freaking blast and as long as you keep your body from impacting the ground, it's really easy on your body. I get lower back pain simply from standing for longer than 15 minutes. My knees and ankles would always take a beating when I played hoops. I can ride a mountain bike for 3+ hours with none of that. Just a little leg soreness to let me know I'm doing something right!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a freaking blast and as long as you keep your body from impacting the ground, it's really easy on your body. I get lower back pain simply from standing for longer than 15 minutes. My knees and ankles would always take a beating when I played hoops. I can ride a mountain bike for 3+ hours with none of that. Just a little leg soreness to let me know I'm doing something right!

I'm not sure I could get a bike up more than a 2% grade. I know I can't get it around my neighborhood, let alone on actual hilly trails.

That said, this is close. Southern New England Trunkline Trail
Not that hilly (separate hilly bike trails off the main trail). Might be worth a try.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom