Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Pat Forde just published an article on Yahoo saying the Big 12 is a cluster and that expansion will end with four conferences of 16 schools. He wrote what I've been saying for years:

UConn and Kansas to the Big 10 for BB purposes. This follows their FB expansion (PSU, Nebraska), and their TV expansion (Rutgers, Maryland).

He has no sources; this is just his opinion of what should/will happen. He didn't mention UConn and the ACC.

I'm not good at posting an article from an iPad.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder what the cost to the ACC Network is of we go to the Big East with Fox...Des that limit carriage fees/carriage in general? Does that give the combination of FS1 (Big East), Fox Sports, B1G 10Network amd YES better cumulative TV leverage in the NY area than the ACC Network and other ESPN properties?

The YES Channel in New York already has a deal in place to televise up to 10 ACC football games and 23 basketball games. Limited presence but a presence.

The YES Network, the New York Yankees’ cable channel, will televise up to 10 Atlantic Coast Conference football games and as many as 23 ACC men’s basketball games this season. YES announced the agreement with Fox Sports Media Group to show ACC sports on Thursday. The deal also includes the rights to some ACC women’s basketball and Olympic sports. The ACC deal with YES Network comes a few weeks after the conference announced a deal with the Pinstripe Bowl in Yankee Stadium that starts in 2014, and is part of a strategy to expand the league’s presence in the New York media market. – Associated Press

From current YES home page:

COLLEGE SPORTS

YES airs ACC Football, ACC Men's and Women's Basketball, Big East Men's Basketball, and ACC Olympic Sports.

I don't know the answer...but what I am hearing from FSU guys is that ESPN will be bundling the ACCN with ESPN, ESPNU ,SECN with carriers when the new contracts come due in 2019. If you get ESPN, you will get ACCN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn to the ACC?

It would be like renting from the neighbor who burned your house down.

I get it...ya gotta do watcha gotta do....the other former Big East teams developed amnesia so I suspect that memory wiping is part of the selection process.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
UConn to the ACC?

It would be like renting from the neighbor who burned your house down.

I get it...ya gotta do watcha gotta do....the other former Big East teams developed amnesia so I suspect that memory wiping is part of the selection process.

UConn has already developed amnesia. We have discussed a spot in that league with their membership on at least two known occasions.

It's the ACC themselves who have not forgiven or forgave.

Reaction Score
Pat Forde just published an article on Yahoo saying the Big 12 is a cluster and that expansion will end with four conferences of 16 schools. He wrote what I've been saying for years:

UConn and Kansas to the Big 10 for BB purposes. This follows their FB expansion (PSU, Nebraska), and their TV expansion (Rutgers, Maryland).

He has no sources; this is just his opinion of what should/will happen. He didn't mention UConn and the ACC.

I'm not good at posting an article from an iPad.

So, ACC has 15 schools, B12 has 10, B10 has 14, Pac12 has 12, SEC has 14 = 65 Schools plus UConn, which is 66.

Reaction Score
I believe that the ACC would pick up UConn as #16...but right now, 15 football schools makes for unworkable scheduling. If Notre Dame would desire to come on board for football..it would be a dual addition.

If the B1G hadn't torpedoed the ACC proposal for deregulation of CCG's/divisions...I'm pretty sure that the ACC would have gone to three divisions of 5 with more rotating games from other divisions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe that the ACC would pick up UConn as #16...but right now, 15 football schools makes for unworkable scheduling. If Notre Dame would desire to come on board for football..it would be a dual addition.

If the B1G hadn't torpedoed the ACC proposal for deregulation of CCG's/divisions...I'm pretty sure that the ACC would have gone to three divisions of 5 with more rotating games from other divisions.
How many games is ND committed to play against ACC opponents? Isn't it pretty much equivalent to being a full member?

Reaction Score
How many games is ND committed to play against ACC opponents? Isn't it pretty much equivalent to being a full member?
5 games, I think he's referring to the ACC having the ability to schedule in way that would lessen some of the football first schools concerns about UConn's perceived weakness

Reaction Score

How about UConn all sports
Navy football only
Your actually at 16

Reaction Score
Never going to happen. Because the ACC knows that if ND knows that joining the ACC for football means that Navy is kicked out, ND will never join the ACC in football. ND takes their debt to Navy very seriously. No matter what we think about ND.
Aren't you making the assumption ND will have to join ?
ND preference is Independence ,thats the overwhelming sentiment of their adminstration and fans.
If they are being forced to join than why delay it?
Navy somewhat fills the middle Atlantic void created with Maryland departure
If ten years from now a BC or a fourth NC school would be at greater risk if ND wanted in

Reaction Score
5 games, I think he's referring to the ACC having the ability to schedule in way that would lessen some of the football first schools concerns about UConn's perceived weakness

The ACC has had discussions re divisions every meeting for the last three years....an oddity of scheduling big divisions is that you don't play teams in the other division that often.

Example...FSU's closest opponent is Georgia Tech yet they travel the 250 miles to Tallahassee once every 12 years.

The conference had discussed having three divisions of five...and would have more freedom to rotate the other four conference games between the divisions. You might play everybody at least once every three years.

Playing just four division members, rather than seven, really opens up the conference for scheduling.

Reaction Score
Never going to happen. Because the ACC knows that if ND knows that joining the ACC for football means that Navy is kicked out, ND will never join the ACC in football. ND takes their debt to Navy very seriously. No matter what we think about ND.

^This. I believe I will chime in for TerryD before he gets a chance to say it again. ND will hold onto football independence until the end of time. ND also holds a special bond/relationship with Navy that transcends football.

Personally, I think the ACC needs to accept that ND will always be independent in football and makes decisions for the conference with that in mind.

Reaction Score
^This. I believe I will chime in for TerryD before he gets a chance to say it again. ND will hold onto football independence until the end of time. ND also holds a special bond/relationship with Navy that transcends football.

Personally, I think the ACC needs to accept that ND will always be independent in football and makes decisions for the conference with that in mind.

(No need, I have given up posting about CR and ND...no longer necessary after ACC GOR extension...game over).

Reaction Score
(No need, I have given up posting about CR and ND...no longer necessary after ACC GOR extension...game over).
What is your opinion of the ACC adding Navy ( football) only and UConn
Since Navy and ND have a long history and they are contracted to a specific amount of ACc games doesn't thst help ND scheduling?

Reaction Score
What is your opinion of the ACC adding Navy ( football) only and UConn
Since Navy and ND have a long history and they are contracted to a specific amount of ACc games doesn't thst help ND scheduling?

I am fine with Navy as football only and with UConn as a full member. I think that makes sense now with an ACC Network.

Navy to the ACC would not help with ND scheduling since the 5 game ACC agreement is a rotating one among all ACC members.

ND turned down an ACC offer of a sixth game dedicated every year to either Pitt or BC, so the idea of adding Navy as the sixth ND/ACC game is a non-starter.

Reaction Score
I am fine with Navy as football only and with UConn as a full member. I think that makes sense now with an ACC Network.

Navy to the ACC would not help with ND scheduling since the 5 game ACC agreement is a rotating one among all ACC members.

ND turned down an ACC offer of a sixth game dedicated every year to either Pitt or BC, so the idea of adding Navy as the sixth ND/ACC game is a non-starter.

If they added Navy we would be playing 6 ACC teams a year. ACC teams would want to maintain playing us every three years cycle. Navy would be a mainstay , we promised that as long as they wanted to keep the series.

He will maintain independence as long as access is maintained. That doesn't seem to be changing so ND is fine.

The ACC should add UConn and Cincy and call it a day.

Reaction Score
I hope Delaney just gets off his arse and gives the finger to the ACC and Big 12 by adding Uconn. The B1G had 11 once, they can have 15 and stay unbalanced for a few years, wouldn't hurt. Getting tired of waking up waiting for good news. Tired

Reaction Score
I doubt the ACC expands in this round & waits to see how the B12 situation plays out. They will still have plenty of options to explore either way. I'm sure the ACC would love to have ND as a full member but it's not a make or brake situation since they have a alliance that works for both

Reaction Score
It's seemingly irrational for the ACC to let a second conference drive another wedge between its northern and southern schools, but they've been stupid about things so far and there's no reason to think that will change.

It's not like that creates contested territory that BC and Cuse have to worry about crossing. What difference does it make to the ACC if the Big 12 has schools between its schools?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's not like that creates contested territory that BC and Cuse have to worry about crossing. What difference does it make to the ACC if the Big 12 has schools between its schools?

It matters if they are trying to have a network. It appears the ACC has made its decision though. Let's hope the Big 12 comes through..

Reaction Score
Posted this on another thread, but adding it here. F ESPN

FOX Continues Support for Big 12 Expansion with G5 Teams

FOX has been one of the leading proponents of Big 12 expansion over the last year as the network tries to get more college sports to air across its family of channels. This has been discussed repeatedly in the past, because FOX Sports only has the tier 1 TV rights to the Big 12 and Pac-12. Meanwhile, ESPN has tier 1 rights to the SEC, ACC, partial Big Ten, BYU, The American and many others.

This means that the only football program east of the Mississippi under contract with FOX for tier 1 television rights is West Virginia. FOX wants more product to air in the Eastern time zone. The network wants more product to air, period. The other option is to pay ESPN for content to air and no business wants to pay its competitor for their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom