Here's the problem | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Here's the problem

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
They're living in a fantasy land. If thinking that people would knock down the door to coach here if the opportunity opened up makes them cope with their frustration, then bless their hearts.

The guy whoever he is may in fact end up being better than KO. No problem admitting that, but it won’t be who people think we are able to get. It’s going to be way risky.

Reaction Score
They're living in a fantasy land. If thinking that people would knock down the door to coach here if the opportunity opened up makes them cope with their frustration, then bless their hearts.
Yep, I'm the one living in fantasy land. I told you the deal with Ollie last season and have had to still listen to you and 90% of the board tell me I'm wrong, crazy, too negative, have a vendetta, etc.

Reaction Score
That's the reason Benedict has Ollie on watch and he had a very serious talk with him after last season. We can still get a big time coach but the longer we suck the harder that becomes.
Benedict needs to fire him and his staff tomorrow, in order to both respect and protect what UCONN brand the school has left. Every loss going forward digs the hole ten feet deeper. Question is who does Benedict look at to replace KO...

1) Pitino....forget it he's too busy looking for hookers
2) Steve Pickiel
3) Tom Crean...hmm...and an excellent recruiter

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yep, I'm the one living in fantasy land. I told you the deal with Ollie last season and have had to still listen to you and 90% of the board tell me I'm wrong, crazy, too negative, have a vendetta, etc.

At this point, my only gripe is that you don't understand that our bed has been made for us already. There is no savior coming, and that's just how it is.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The question is, does Konkol get more than that somewhere else? Or does he garner interest from schools with much easier situations?

I will piss a bunch of people off by saying this, but this is a high-risk/low-reward job here.

I actually think this is more a low-risk, high-reward situation now. After you get waxed by Michigan State's final 10 minutes, then respond with a 35 point loss on national TV a year after your first losing season in 30 there's pressure, but lower initial expectations. If you can coach at all and relate to today's players you can point to the banners and you should be able to attract some recruits.

Reaction Score
Ollie didn't miss a shot. This was a bad loss but one loss and nothing more.

Reaction Score
At this point, my only gripe is that you don't understand that our bed has been made for us already. There is no savior coming, and that's just how it is.
No one's asking for a savior, just a better coach. Pretending like that's not a possibility is juvenile.
I actually think this is more a low-risk, high-reward situation now. After you get waxed by Michigan State's final 10 minutes, then respond with a 35 point loss on national TV a year after your first losing season in 30 there's pressure, but lower initial expectations. If you can coach at all and relate to today's players you can point to the banners and you should be able to attract some recruits.
Agree 100%. Ollie's in the midst of the worst 3-year run at this school in decades, and he's maaaaaybe on the hot seat? And he's still able to pull in a top 10 recruiting class?

That's the definition of low-risk, high-reward.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The guy whoever he is may in fact end up being better than KO. No problem admitting that, but it won’t be who people think we are able to get. It’s going to be way risky.

What is the risk? We might miss the NCAAs again? We might lose to Arkansas by 50? Our program hasn't even sniffed relevance since 2014.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Those banners are mattering less and less. Look at the programs who are hot when it comes to recruiting at the moment - Oregon, LSU, Wake Forest?

The high-risk is having to pick up those pieces and deal with all of the negative attention coming out of here. Anyone who coaches at UConn has to pretty much run the table when it comes to OOC (at least against big names) in order to have any chance of receiving an at-large bid. Every loss to a team not named Cincinnati or Wichita State in-conference is a huge blemish on a resume as well. They will clearly not be able to recruit as well as they would in a better conference.

The low-reward? Getting bumped 3-4 seed lines below an equivalent performance in a different conference, and not getting the same credit that UConn teams used to get after the past few years burned through goodwill with the media (which, to be quite honest, was never fully there for reasons we won't go into).

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
What is the risk? We might miss the NCAAs again? We might lose to Arkansas by 50? Our program hasn't even sniffed relevance since 2014.

Obviously if you need to fire him, you do it. But that has to be coupled with acceptance of the possibility that things won't improve by as much as people hope them to.

Reaction Score
Yeah, right genius, and then the low risk high reward is teaching them how to drive to the basket without making a pass or an assist for the whole dam game.

Reaction Score
Maybe. Maybe not.
In the rearview mirror in a few weeks your conclusion may be borne out.
I think it's also possible that the beating that we just witnessed will eventually be seen as the clear beginning of the end of the Ollie Era.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Obviously if you need to fire him, you do it. But that has to be coupled with acceptance of the possibility that things won't improve by as much as people hope them to.

Fine. But we're not Fordham either. We'll get a good coach in here.

Reaction Score
I seriously think you're underestimating how undesirable this job has become.

Don't totally agree. Ollie is still one of the top salaried coaches in the country - top 10 or 15. Konkol making $500K per year could triple his salary and UConn would still save $1.8 mil per year compared to Ollie's salary.

Reaction Score
See if Geno will pull double-duty.
Ive always wondered how Geno would do as a mens coach. Id like to see it if Ollie goes but Geno has said the only job he`d leave the uconn womens team for is the mens Duke job.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Don't totally agree. Ollie is still one of the top salaried coaches in the country - top 10 or 15. Konkol making $500K per year could triple his salary and UConn would still save $1.8 mil per year compared to Ollie's salary.

What are ACC/B10/SEC coaches able to pay a guy like him?

Reaction Score
No he didn't miss the shot...but putting your players in the right position to excel is all on OLLIE

Reaction Score
Ive always wondered how Geno would do as a mens coach. Id like to see it if Ollie goes but Geno has said the only job he`d leave the uconn womens team for is the mens Duke job.
Geno and the UConn Women are the only thing right now keeping the school in the news, in a positive way. Don't bother him while he's busy recruiting the best talent out there and winning ten more national championships before he retires.

Reaction Score
No, but he lets his players take 24-ft 3 point shots and doesn't pull them; let's Allen play selfish basketball without sitting him; coaches a team that consistently gets caught out of position on defense; has installed an offense that consists of 1-on-1 basketball. He didn't even instruct his players to slow down the pace to try to get Arkansas away from their fast-paced style. He had no answers today.

Reaction Score
Geno and the UConn Women are the only thing right now keeping the school in the news, in a positive way. Don't bother him while he's busy recruiting the best talent out there and winning ten more national championships before he retires.

Please bring this elsewhere if there were only 3 teams any good in mens basketball and KO was one of them he'd be great too - lose this crap now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom