Here's the problem | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Here's the problem

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm actually interesting in engaging with OP without sarcasm and having a serious discussion on the coaching change.

If you recall, I said this offseason that I wanted a change if we missed the tournament. Just because I think the fact that we talk about firing the coach every November is bananas doesn't mean I'm opposed to the idea in general.

I was incredibly frustrated with last year, but wasn't ready to move on. I was incredibly frustrated this offseason, when a bunch of players left, but wasn't ready to fire him.

I'm still not ready to do that today, but I need to see a lot from Ollie this season in order to not want to move on from him in April, and today is just another example of the same awful coaching we've seen for the last few years.

Reaction Score
Serious question tho: What's Ollie's buyout $$$ if we part ways with him this spring? I've been trying to find it and can't quite seem to.
Auriemma, Ollie sign extensions with UConn. Read them in their entirety here
Should Ollie be fired from his position as head coach during the contract, UConn will owe him $600,000. If Ollie chooses to leave UConn for another NCAA Division I school, he or the new school will be responsible for paying UConn. If Ollie were to leave after this season, UConn would $500,000. This amount decreases in $100,000 increments until 2020-21, where UConn would receive $100,000 if he left that season to coach at another school.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It would be done at the end of the season. He's already on the hot seat and the same old stuff and no tournament and I'm pretty sure he's done.
What if we end up making the tourney?

Just a hypothetical.

Reaction Score
I’ll personally pack up Kevin’s office for him. Even drive him to Bradley if he needs to catch a flight.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Steve Pikiell
Danny Hurley
Eric Konkol

Hurley is my #1 choice if a change is made. For the reasons I listed in those bullet points, I don't think he is coming here.

Pikiell may think his current situation is better.

Konkol is an interesting name. I'm glad you brought him up.

Reaction Score
There isn't much point to firing a guy mid-season, but if he wasn't on notice already, he damn well better be now.

I don't know if Benedict has expectations in terms of accomplishments that KO has to meet in order to keep his job, but the look and feel of the program needs to be a complete 180 from last year. Today was even worse.

Reaction Score
Hurley is my #1 choice if a change is made. For the reasons I listed in those bullet points, I don't think he is coming here.

Pikiell may think his current situation is better.

Konkol is an interesting name. I'm glad you brought him up.
Pikiell would put on his running shoes right now and run to Storrs if Benedict called him.

Reaction Score
Auriemma, Ollie sign extensions with UConn. Read them in their entirety here
Should Ollie be fired from his position as head coach during the contract, UConn will owe him $600,000. If Ollie chooses to leave UConn for another NCAA Division I school, he or the new school will be responsible for paying UConn. If Ollie were to leave after this season, UConn would $500,000. This amount decreases in $100,000 increments until 2020-21, where UConn would receive $100,000 if he left that season to coach at another school.
Ok – that's actually a pretty low buy-out. For some reason I'd assumed it would be a larger (prohibitive) portion of his overall salary.

Reaction Score
He would need to hire 1-2 assistants with heavy NE/NYC/East Coast recruiting experience.
For sure, but part of what I like about his background is that he was a recruiter for Miami when they started to get good kids at the start of the decade.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Pikiell would put on his running shoes right now and run to Storrs if Benedict called him.

I mean, I'd like to believe that's the case, but I think you're underestimating the program's ability to regain its prestige immediately after getting rid of Ollie. Even if he is an alum/former assistant I don't think Pikiell would want to partake in such a high-risk/low-reward clean-up job.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
For sure, but part of what I like about his background is that he was a recruiter for Miami when they started to get good kids at the start of the decade.

And LA Tech has looked incredibly competitive under him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Okay. Are there any particular individuals you're interested in going after whom you think we could realistically hire given:
  • Ollie's buyout $
  • General athletic department financial woes
  • Massive drop in prestige that's occurred under Ollie/since moving to the AAC
  • Dumpster fire of a conference
Like I said before, if it has to be done, it has to be done, but I want to disabuse everyone of the notion that the new hire will be exactly what they are looking for.

I haven't given it any thought, because I haven't been seriously ready to move on before today. That doesn't mean what Ollie has done here is acceptable.

We still have a recognizable brand, and I guarantee you there are good coaches out there that would love to coach here. Our conference sucks, yes, but the UConn name still means something. That may not be the case in five years if Ollie is the coach that whole time. I don't say this lightly, but he's on the verge of running this program into the ground. We are well on our way to missing the NCAA Tournament for the third year out of last four. That is terrible.

Reaction Score
I just dont understand how we got here. We went from being on the top of the world in 2014, to missing out the next year, winning the AAC, to going .500. How?

Reaction Score
Aside from scheduling insanely horrible teams prior to conference games, Pikiell has proven nothing. Rutgers sucked last year, and they suck this year. Too risky IMO, Hurley is a much better coach IMO.

Reaction Score
I mean, I'd like to believe that's the case, but I think you're underestimating the program's ability to regain its prestige immediately after getting rid of Ollie. Even if he is an alum/former assistant I don't think Pikiell would want to partake in such a high-risk/low-reward clean-up job.
I like Pikiell but we would get someone better than him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom