Cold vs Hot

• 100+

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Below 20

Votes: 36 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Some context first:

Caramoor in Katonah, NY is one of my favorite music venues. It's a gorgeous old property a rich white guy owned and now its grounds host concerts throughout the year. Its June Roots festival and their July Jazz festival are annual treks for me and I've seen about a dozen other shows there too.

This year, their Roots festival was amazing: beautiful weather in the mid 70s, plenty of shade, had a grand time. Today, I have tickets to the Jazz festival with my wife and a few friends.

However, I'm a complete crotchety baby when it comes to heat. It's forecasted to be upper 90s, humid, it sucks, I pretty much don't want to go anymore, I'm that bad.

Contrapositively, I can deal with the cold. For example, my only visit to Chicago was in February, it was 6 degrees, I had no problem and had a great trip. I even find very cold days calming and relaxing. You can always put on more layers to stay warm.

If you had a choice, would you rather live every day for the rest of your life in extreme cold (like single digits) or extreme humid heat (100+)?

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Some context first:

Caramoor in Katonah, NY is one of my favorite music venues. It's a gorgeous old property a rich white guy owned and now its grounds host concerts throughout the year. Its June Roots festival and their July Jazz festival are annual treks for me and I've seen about a dozen other shows there too.

This year, their Roots festival was amazing: beautiful weather in the mid 70s, plenty of shade, had a grand time. Today, I have tickets to the Jazz festival with my wife and a few friends.

However, I'm a complete crotchety baby when it comes to heat. It's forecasted to be upper 90s, humid, it sucks, I pretty much don't want to go anymore, I'm that bad.

Contrapositively, I can deal with the cold. For example, my only visit to Chicago was in February, it was 6 degrees, I had to problem and had a great trip. I even find very cold days calming and relaxing. You can always put on more layers to stay warm.

If you had a choice, would you rather live every day for the rest of your life in extreme cold (like single digits) or extreme humid heat (100+)?

To put this in simplistic terms, would you rather live in Panama or Northern Siberia? Fresh fruits and fish at your disposal or a steady diet of fermented whale blubber, possibly some cabbage and potatoes in a good year?

Planning to see Kurt Vile outdoors tomorrow at one of our local free summer concerts. Expected to feel like high 90s. Unless t-storms force a cancellation, I'll be there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol live in Boston and you get both. In that dichotomy, I think I’d take heat. There’s so much that can happen to screw with your life, outside your immediate comfort, due to extreme cold. Roads and public transit shutting down, pipes bursting, people getting sick...

But I do hear you on the “you can always add layers” angle

Reaction Score
Some context first:

Contrapositively, I can deal with the cold. For example, my only visit to Chicago was in February, it was 6 degrees, I had no problem and had a great trip. I even find very cold days calming and relaxing. You can always put on more layers to stay warm.

Can’t stand humidity so when you add real high temps the oppressiveness bothers the crap out of me. Like you makes me an ornery old bastard when I’m continuously wiping sweat from my brow. Didn’t play golf today at Wintonbury due to this crap but played many rounds in Dec/Jan/Feb in the mid to high 30’s lol.

Preference cold but under 20 screw that too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Definitely take the heat when we talk extremes. I just love being outside. I was able to take dog out to a stream to run around before it got too hot today. Can’t really do that when it’s -5 degrees.

However, when it comes to be football games, I definitely prefer the 45 degree games in November to the first couple games in August/September when you just get cooked.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Have lived in CT and NY my whole life but if I'd been born below the Mason-Dixon Line I'd never have crossed it.

Sweating through your clothes sucks -- and imagine riding the subway every day, like I do -- but I'll still take it over freezing your nuts off.

Besides how it feels, daylight >>>>>>>>> less daylight. (But I guess your hypothetical assumes the same amount of daylight.)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Have lived in CT and NY my whole life but if I'd been born below the Mason-Dixon Line I'd never have crossed it.

Sweating through your clothes sucks -- and imagine riding the subway every day, like I do -- but I'll still take it over freezing your nuts off.

Besides how it feels, daylight >>>>>>>>> less daylight. (But I guess your hypothetical assumes the same amount of daylight.)
Oh when you bring a 8:40 sunset or a 4:40 sunset on to the table it’s a complete no-brainer.

Reaction Score
Some context first:

I don't deal well with humidity. I'm okay if it's 90+ with no humidity but 75+ with oppressive humidity and I'm dripping. I seem to sweat a lot more than most people. The cold has never really bothered me but when you have a month straight where it's around zero and it's dark by 4:30 it kind of sucks. As long as there is AC and I don't have to do manual labor outside all day, I'll take summer.

I would be happy wearing shorts and a t every day but when the air is like soup it doesn't matter, I'm a sweaty mess. There is something to be said for layering.

Reaction Score
Always can add more layers and move quicker during cold weather; certain limits in warmer weather but high humidity and upper 90s for a few days or months is no big deal. 11-12 months of markedly higher tropical humidity and much higher temps than a brief northeast heat wave’s less fun. All just perspective, and how people adjust to weather changes, averages, etc.

Reaction Score
It really sucks to have to be out when it's below 15 degrees, but you can escape the cold by being inside. When it gets up around 95, air conditioning begins to struggle, and it can become miserable even inside. Mad respect to those who had to farm way back when everything was done manually, and it got hot. Don't even need to mention the slaves, who did it in hot climates, with no reward for their agony.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Lived most of my adult life in CT. Lived with A/C and without A/C in various apartments and houses. Use to do a lot of camping and hiking with the Boy Scouts in all four seasons. Never a problem. But as we age our bodies change too. What we once could tolerate becomes intolerable. After a couple of cold and hard winters in 12 and 13, we decided it was time.

Three years ago the wife and I moved to central Florida in a large 55+ community. Got tired of freezing our butts off in winter and dealing with the snow and ice that comes with New England. Also got very tired of doing yard work in July & August and being dripping wet after an hour or so mowing and trimming the yard. And the freakin' taxes of CT played a major role in the move.

Now I will try to dispelling the myth that Florida is so damn hot and humid. Yes we get temps in the low to mid 90's in the summer. We get the heat index over 105, but the humidity is not as oppressive as CT gets. And when people up north are freezing in February we're at the pool with temps in the mid to upper 70's or cooking on the grill on the lanai.

My cooling and heating bills, yes we do have to turn on the heat on rare occasion, are much lower than CT. And I do wear shorts year round! BTW - we are more active now than we were while still working.

Reaction Score
I've lived my entire life in New England. I'll take the cold by a wide margin. The only thing I don't like about winter is the shortage of daylight. July and August are my two least favorite months of the year.

Reaction Score
I live in Indiana now, moved from CT in 2005. This past winter we had temps of -40° after wind-chill. I was ok with that. I was outside snowblowing in -20° weather.

Anything above 68° and I hate life. Especially now when it is 102°+ after humidity. I might die today and I'm not going outside.

I need to move to Alaska or something.

Reaction Score
I live in Indiana now, moved from CT in 2005. This past winter we had temps of -40° after wind-chill. I was ok with that. I was outside snowblowing in -20° weather.

Anything above 68° and I hate life. Especially now when it is 102°+ after humidity. I might die today and I'm not going outside.

I need to move to Alaska or something.

Good luck hope you get through the day!

Reaction Score
Heat as long as I have a pool. Every day and twice on the dog days.

Reaction Score
I'll take the cold all day, you can always add layers, I could be in shorts and a tank and still be miserable in the heat. The heat and humidity was the main reason I moved from NY back to CT after college. Subway system is already trash as it is, dealing with the subways in the summertime is like hell on earth, I dreaded going to work.

Reaction Score
I'll take the cold all day, you can always add layers, I could be in shorts and a tank and still be miserable in the heat. The heat and humidity was the main reason I moved from NY back to CT after college. Subway system is already trash as it is, dealing with the subways in the summertime is like hell on earth, I dreaded going to work.
I don’t care how (not cold) you are with all these theoretical layers; you’re miserable in cold too when you’re layered like a tic ready to pop a la Randy

Reaction Score
@Minicoop69 Better head somewhere colder further north or wherever something is located; temps hit 90 several days ago somewhere in Alaska.

You ain't lying. Maybe northern Canada or something. I sweat sitting down in like 70° heat. Literally doing nothing. I am a fat @ss, but hate the heat. Got blubber on me for days.

Reaction Score

Those days when it's overcast and humid as ____ and everyone on the train is sweating and miserable and the windows are fogged and then you walk into the stench of midtown on garbage day. The worst.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom