• 100+

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Below 20

Votes: 36 50.0%

• Total voters

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It’s not as much the heat as the humidity that kills me. I think we have some of the worst summers of anywhere in the country.

Reaction Score
It’s not as much the heat as the humidity that kills me. I think we have some of the worst summers of anywhere in the country.
Connecticut is actually middle of the pack as far as humidity and dew point go. CT is ranked 31st in relative humidity and 27th in dew point.

Source is this Forbes magazine article: Humidity If you scroll down there is a chart ranking the states.

Reaction Score
No way it’s hotter in Chicago than Boston. They’re second in extreme swings in my opinion
Very similar in the summer, Chicago significantly colder in winter. NYC is worse than both of them in the summer, there is nowhere for the air to go and you spend so much time underground with the subway nightmare, the one summer I lived in Manhattan I would literally be clamming up as soon as I showered and was out the door and would be dripping on the subways, packed in like sardines and everywhere is garbage and it smells like urine. Chicago gets some of that and is a concrete jungle with huge skyscrapers everywhere but not like Manhattan. Boston you get a break from all of that.

Reaction Score
Very similar in the summer, Chicago significantly colder in winter. NYC is worse than both of them in the summer, there is nowhere for the air to go and you spend so much time underground with the subway nightmare, the one summer I lived in Manhattan I would literally be clamming up as soon as I showered and was out the door and would be dripping on the subways, packed in like sardines and everywhere is garbage and it smells like urine. Chicago gets some of that and is a concrete jungle with huge skyscrapers everywhere but not like Manhattan. Boston you get a break from all of that.
Chicago doesn’t deal with hurricanes

Lol if you think you won’t sweat your ass off in a Boston T stop; it’s half a miracle keytar bear hasn’t succumbed to heat stroke yet

Reaction Score
Chicago doesn’t deal with hurricanes

Lol if you think you won’t sweat your ass off in a Boston T stop; it’s half a miracle keytar bear hasn’t succumbed to heat stroke yet
We don't deal with typhoons, earthquakes, or many major snowstorms either. The thread is about hot and cold. Chicago is more extreme in hot and cold than Boston IMO, Minneapolis/St. Paul is way more extreme than Boston.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Was the poll in this thread always? I feel like below 20 is not extreme enough. I’d take 19 over what it’ll be like tomorrow I think. 19 is not terrible. If you’re going to call 100+ the extreme of hot you need to get to at least 10 and under for cold.

Reaction Score
Some context first:

Caramoor in Katonah, NY is one of my favorite music venues. It's a gorgeous old property a rich white guy owned and now its grounds host concerts throughout the year. Its June Roots festival and their July Jazz festival are annual treks for me and I've seen about a dozen other shows there too.

This year, their Roots festival was amazing: beautiful weather in the mid 70s, plenty of shade, had a grand time. Today, I have tickets to the Jazz festival with my wife and a few friends.

However, I'm a complete crotchety baby when it comes to heat. It's forecasted to be upper 90s, humid, it sucks, I pretty much don't want to go anymore, I'm that bad.

Contrapositively, I can deal with the cold. For example, my only visit to Chicago was in February, it was 6 degrees, I had no problem and had a great trip. I even find very cold days calming and relaxing. You can always put on more layers to stay warm.

If you had a choice, would you rather live every day for the rest of your life in extreme cold (like single digits) or extreme humid heat (100+)?
Indoors or outside? No extremes for me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was the poll in this thread always? I feel like below 20 is not extreme enough. I’d take 19 over what it’ll be like tomorrow I think. 19 is not terrible. If you’re going to call 100+ the extreme of hot you need to get to at least 10 and under for cold.

Especially since OP said "like single digits" in his post.

I'll add that it's not really a fair comparison since the hot includes humid, but the cold is only temp. Needs to add wind chill or "cold and wet" to even things out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few years ago we had like a full month in the winter where the temp was below zero. The regular temperature was -23 one day this winter. And people from Minnesota find it balmy here.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
This is crazy. Are you a vampire???

Blood sucks.

But seriously, in summer, I just have to take time out to sit alone in dark rooms. I HATE the sun.

There are moments every fall where I can actually feel myself waking up, coming back to the world. My ability to focus from October to April is way better than my ability to focus this time of year.

Reaction Score
No way it’s hotter in Chicago than Boston. They’re second in extreme swings in my opinion
The most miserable 4 months of weather I ever experienced was Feb-June at Great Lakes Naval Station for boot camp. Bitter cold at 0dark30 in Feb, and May heat wave in winter wool.

Reaction Score
Couple more days, it cools off. Spend a few years in the heat and humidity of Singapore, Jakarta or other tropical areas near the equator, and the current brief warmth or DC, NY, BOS and Chicago summers feel relatively cool. At least from my HK home, sky walks a la Toronto and Minneapolis connect most of a walk to my office.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Heat.

There's nothing I like about the cold.

It was pretty freaking hot today, but I could still go outside and sit on the deck at the end of the day.

There's no sitting on the deck when it's cold.

Reaction Score
The cold is dreadful. The combination of freezing temperatures, wind, and snow is just brutal. Just walking outside in the morning December-March puts me in a bad mood. Plus, working in Hartford, that walk from the parking lot to the office is misery. I'd take days like today every day if it meant never seeing snow again.

Reaction Score
I'll take the heat any time. As someone that worked outdoors my entire life the cold is brutal. People that work indoors have no clue about weather extremes. Dealing with walking from your car to your office must be tough.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Those days when it's overcast and humid as ____ and everyone on the train is sweating and miserable and the windows are fogged and then you walk into the stench of midtown on garbage day. The worst.

Booking it to GCT, then finding out you're on the lower level, and you need to sprint. It's the portal to hell.

Reaction Score
Can’t stand humidity so when you add real high temps the oppressiveness bothers the crap out of me. Like you makes me an ornery old bastard when I’m continuously wiping sweat from my brow. Didn’t play golf today at Wintonbury due to this crap but played many rounds in Dec/Jan/Feb in the mid to high 30’s lol.

Preference cold but under 20 screw that too.
You are an ornery old bastard anyway. Weather has nothing to do with it.:)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My recollection is that DC summers are pretty unbearable.

I've heard DC sucks weather wise because they can get the worst of weather for every season. Cold, snow, ice, rain, humidity, pollen season, hurricanes. They get it all

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I've heard DC sucks weather wise because they can get the worst of weather for every season. Cold, snow, ice, rain, humidity, pollen season, hurricanes. They get it all

Pretty cool tool here if you want to compare weather in different areas:

Compare Cities - Weatherbase

DC runs about 6 degrees warmer than Hartford, Hartford has about 10 more "precipitation days" per year.

Data shows that an interesting analogy for temps/precipitation days is Hartford is to DC as Bangor, Maine is to Hartford.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Not saying I want sub 30 temps all the time, but give me the cold over heat any day. In the heat you can only remove so much clothing before well there is nothing to remove and you are still uncomfortably hot. At least in the cold you can always just pop another layer on to get comfortable.

I lived in Miami for a brief period of time and the summers there are brutal at times with the humidity. Winters are very nice however. Give me temps of 35-75 and I will stay happy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Anyone experience fun temps and wind on top of Mt Washington?

From 81-95, except one year, every Columbus Day weekend, couple of friends and I would hike the Whites, trying to get all the 4K footers. The year we took Tuckerman up Mt Washington it was pretty warm - high 60s at base, still above freezing at summit. Windy at top, but not ridiculous.

However, the year we did Wildcat, right across Rt16, thought we were in deep doo-doo. Temp around 17F with windchills well into the -30s above treeline. I have photos that make us look like we were on an Everest climb or Antartica expedition - ice covered beards and eyebrows. Thought we might get blown off one of the narrower ridges. Was the least fun of all our hikes.

I'm still three short (the Bonds). Not sure I'll ever get to finish at this point.

Reaction Score
Anyone experience fun temps and wind on top of Mt Washington?
Made the drive up Mt. Washington in the summer. The wind that day was incredible. I can't imagine what it would be like in the winter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom