Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Below 20

Votes: 36 50.0%

• Total voters

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Blood sucks.

But seriously, in summer, I just have to take time out to sit alone in dark rooms. I HATE the sun.

There are moments every fall where I can actually feel myself waking up, coming back to the world. My ability to focus from October to April is way better than my ability to focus this time of year.

You have Reverse Seasonal Attitudinal Disorder!

Reaction Score
I'll take heat over cold any day, and so would most right thinking people.

There is a reason why people have been going south to escape New England winters for 50+ years.

Reaction Score
You are an ornery old bastard anyway. Weather has nothing to do with it.:)

It did get by a few that weren’t paying attention to detail though. Figures you and 8893 would latch on hard lol

Reaction Score
Its simple for me. I have a busy schedue and sleep alot better in the colder weather. I am more productive in the winter c/w the summer. I sure miss the beaches but the cornerstone pool in WH and a winter tropical vacation mostly take care of that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If you want to see extremes in a short period, I was in Denver in early April. It was 85 the day we got there and a blizzard the day we left 5 days later.

Reaction Score
“Desert heat ain’t bad”

Lists twelve things he has to modify about his daily life so that he doesn’t keel over
The weather is gorgeous for 8-9 month of the year and you adjust for the summer.
Like you don’t adjust your lifestyle every time is snows or even rains for that matter.
The summers are hot but not as oppressive as the perpetual gloominess of a New England winter. The word cancellation isn’t in in our vocabulary.
My daughter teaches in Ct she has zero idea when she will finish any school year.
By the way it was 90 in NY at 11PM it was 96 in Gilbert at 8
NY had 62% humidity Gilbert had 12%
Guess which one has a higher comfort level
105-115 in AZ =90-100 in NE
100-105 in AZ=85-90 in NE
90-100 in AZ = 75-85 in NE
80-90 in AZ = 65-70 in NE ( long sleeves)
70/80 in AZ =55-65 in the NE ( hoodie time)
60-70 in AZ = 45-55 in the NE ( I’m wearing gloves when I walk)
We seldom get a day below 60

Our nights average 20 degrees cooler than the day time high

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The most miserable 4 months of weather I ever experienced was Feb-June at Great Lakes Naval Station for boot camp. Bitter cold at 0dark30 in Feb, and May heat wave in winter wool.

I was at San Diego from Aug-Oct 1993 right before it closed.

Temps ranged from 75-80 every day with night time lows between 60-70. Rained a total of 10 minutes. We slept on top of our sheets on our racks with Windows open.

Reaction Score
The weather is gorgeous for 8-9 month of the year and you adjust for the summer.
Like you don’t adjust your lifestyle every time is snows or even rains for that matter.
The summers are hot but not as oppressive as the perpetual gloominess of a New England winter. The word cancellation isn’t in in our vocabulary.
My daughter teaches in Ct she has zero idea when she will finish any school year.

The only time I was more miserable than I was when I was last in Phoenix (June 2017 -- daytime high of 118, still over 100 after 10:00) was when I was in Deli and Aurangabad in late May. 115 does not compare to 90 in the northeast, sorry.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

ya know, you raise an interesting observation 'The word cancellation isn’t in in our vocabulary.' in a world that, as gramms sez,, 'everybody rushin' around inna circle, goin' nowhere,' I kinda feel bad for folks not subject to 'the new england off-switch.' in the winter, it's so weird to communicate with 'outsiders' and tell them that 'nothing going on here, we're in our jammies, life is cancelled--snow day!' peace and serenity everywhere as
busy life is put on hold. blizzard on a UConn bball saturday? biggest problem we got is if pizza guy can make it up the driveway. some kind of tibetan nirvana right there .
this song is so good, they named a place after it...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Oh don’t get me wrong, it’s overall better than New England. I’m on the Heat side of things here. It just seemed like you were downplaying how terrible it gets for four months, or like the dozen things you have to do aren’t such a big deal.

I lived in Vegas for a short period of time that did include the summer. I’m sorry, the low desert’s worst four months are absolutely at least as oppressive as is Boston’s. One reason is the consistency of how terribly hot it is. Night is your only brief break. During the day, you are rushing as fast as you can between air-conditioned indoors. Lips cracking before you can even get to your car. As you said, pools bring brief and minimal relief. Every day it’s in the triple digits and you’re hoping it’s “only” 102.

Boston has its horrific days and even weeks, but even here in SD, I’ve seen the weather forecasts for New England in the winters, and I lived there for three years, it’s 50/50 when the highs are below freezing.

Reaction Score
I've actually been to a nickel mine in northern Siberia in early December. Trust me, you don't want any part of that. I'm hating the weather in Charlotte right now but there's no contest. You simply can't go outdoors when it is -40 and windy.

I struggle with either extreme so I guess I'd take the one that doesn't include any jazz music. Or country music for that matter. I can tolerate poor weather better than poor music. :)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I struggle with either extreme so I guess I'd take the one that doesn't include any jazz music. Or country music for that matter. I can tolerate poor weather better than poor music. :)

You're Kevin from the GEICO ad?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The "feels like" temperature here in NYC is 108 degrees right now. I haven't been this hot since Viva Las Vegas.
There is no more miserable place on earth than nyc in this weekends weather conditions. It always just FEELS even hotter than that. A long time ago I lived in an AveB / Tompkins square tenement without AC. Few had AC , pushes everyone to the streets and people get crazy. Was just talking about it with someone this weekend

Reaction Score
I don't know how people survive NYC summers. I'd rather be in Alabama than NYC in July/August. I still have to commute in for work a few times a year and I try like hell to schedule those trips for the non-summer months.

Reaction Score
New York is still generally comfortable in the summer. The people comparing NYC to any place south of the VA border in summer are dramatizing. In NY there are sunny days in the 70’s in the summer. Alabama won’t see anything below 87 or 88. Two and three day heat waves don’t count when comparing a place to the summer climate of Orlando, Atlanta or Birmingham. Entirely different animals.

Reaction Score
New York is still generally comfortable in the summer. The people comparing NYC to any place south of the VA border in summer are dramatizing. In NY there are sunny days in the 70’s in the summer. Alabama won’t see anything below 87 or 88. Two and three day heat waves don’t count when comparing a place to the summer climate of Orlando, Atlanta or Birmingham. Entirely different animals.

The difference is you aren't in a concrete jungle in the south. You have countryside and burbs and trees to help dissipate the heat. In NYC, you've got giant buildings holding the heat, a lack of trees, blacktops absorbing the heat, and millions of AC units adding a ton of hot air into the air. You aren't walking all over the place and taking the subway to get to and from work. Assuming you're comfortably middle class in the south, you're walking out of your air conditioned home to get in your air conditioned car to drive to your air conditioned office. Taking Metro North to the Shuttle to the 123 and walking five blocks in August and I'm looking like Sean Miller. It's a special kind of hell.

Reaction Score
The difference is you aren't in a concrete jungle in the south. You have countryside and burbs and trees to help dissipate the heat. In NYC, you've got giant buildings holding the heat, a lack of trees, blacktops absorbing the heat, and millions of AC units adding a ton of hot air into the air. You aren't walking all over the place and taking the subway to get to and from work. Assuming you're comfortably middle class in the south, you're walking out of your air conditioned home to get in your air conditioned car to drive to your air conditioned office. Taking Metro North to the Shuttle to the 123 and walking five blocks in August and I'm looking like Sean Miller. It's a special kind of hell.
Exactly right. While it's true the average temperature in NYC is in the mid 80s in July, it's the frying pan effect that makes it miserable. When the concrete jungle gets cooked all day it feels hottest around 5ish, before the sun starts hiding behind buildings and offers some relief in the form of shadows. It may not be quite as hot as the cities Hoophound mentioned, but the stinky hot air this different animal breathes is nasty in its own way.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'll take heat over cold any day, and so would most right thinking people.

There is a reason why people have been going south to escape New England winters for 50+ years.

...there is also a reason most of the dumb people move to Florida. "Right thinking?" :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Another thing is down south mass transportation is much less prevalent and poplulation is less dense than up north, so you tend to be in an air conditioned private vehicle as you go between stops.

The whole sweating while walking several blocks through a metropolis just to get on a Subway or bus isn't reality for most.

Reaction Score
Already cooling, but compared with many massively hotter, more humid, larger and more populated cities and subway-dependent metro areas, the City’s a pleasant day at the beach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom