**Head's Up ~ Potential Game Time change for USF Game** | Page 4 | The Boneyard

**Head's Up ~ Potential Game Time change for USF Game**

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually, I don't understand why that is a joke and not an accurate statement. I understand excusing a team when it can't get to a game for reasons beyond it's control. But if they choose not to come and play when they can get here, because they are concerned about getting back? Why isn't that viewed as their choice?
Because AD Dave isn't going to be a [jerk] and make that argument.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What exactly is the need for 90 minutes on Saturday afternoon? I'm assuming a charter flight? Or is it commercial?

020.jpg

Reaction Score
What exactly is the need for 90 minutes on Saturday afternoon? I'm assuming a charter flight? Or is it commercial?

View attachment 24686

That's the forecast for the center of the storm, not the outermost edges. Heavy winds and severe rain extend hundreds of miles from the center. It's also not exact. There's a 2 in 3 chance that cone is correct. Huskymedic's post provides the best info so far (Post #73 in this thread). 90 minutes sooner starting in CT means 90 minutes sooner on the ground in Tampa. If you think that's insignificant, then try to think if they started 90 minutes later. Would that be ok?

I don't think any college football teams fly commercial.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I honestly think we may win this game. USF doesn't even want to come here and we'll be totally prepared. At the very least, I highly doubt they come here and blow us out

Reaction Score
I honestly think we may win this game. USF doesn't even want to come here and we'll be totally prepared. At the very least, I highly doubt they come here and blow us out

You'd make a great politician. ;)

Reaction Score
I wonder if it has to do with flying up here in the first place. Airports are already starting to close. I don't agree, but they may think it's a bad look to go play football when the plane could be re-tasked to aid in evacuations.
Airports I south Florida (e.g. Miami and the Keys) are beginning to close. Despite their name, SF is in Tampa which is a long way north.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, I think there's a chance we sleepwalk through the first half (which we can't afford to do against a talented USF team) because the crowd will almost definitely be much smaller and arrive later. I could see it going either way, really weird set of circumstances.

Reaction Score
FAU is still planning to travel at this point.

"All university events through Sunday, Sept. 10 are canceled, including sporting events. The football team’s game versus the University of Wisconsin on Saturday will not be affected as it’s in Wisconsin."

Blue lot opens @ 5:30!

I'm also confused why teams want to get back to be in the eye of the storm. It sounds like FAU really wants to play Wisconsin, and Wisconsin wants the home game. In Miami's case, they think it's not worth the trouble to play an away game at Arkansas State. It's understandable, but of course P5 has the leverage and Miami loses nothing while Arkansas State loses a huge game for their fans.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Lose-lose at this point. If we win it'll be because they're distracted and we'll be monsters for beating them. Inconsequential really though.

C

Chief00

South FL really isn't logically thinking. Sometimes someone in management wants to try to act like they are managing a situation that in reality they have no impact on - that's what's happening here - they will just have to start hanging out in CT sooner but they will get home no sooner.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
South FL really isn't logically thinking. Sometimes someone in management wants to try to act like they are managing a situation that in reality they have no impact on - that's what's happening here - they will just have to start hanging out in CT sooner but they will get home no sooner.
I think you may have nailed that one.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lose-lose at this point. If we win it'll be because they're distracted and we'll be monsters for beating them. Inconsequential really though.

True and true, but then again, those points may all be forgotten after the next hurricane which is literally around the corner in Jose.

Reaction Score
I doubt they're flying back right after the game. UConn needs to, and I'm sure will make accomodations for the team. More likely headed back Monday if they can find a slot to land. Family members planning to fly up probably still have that option on Friday if they want to risk being here for a few days. I'm not sure I understand the need to even be discussing a cancellation. They are all safer here. As a matter of fact my family just scrambled to get her mom from Boca to DC or CT. They want to do the opposite by rushing back? It's the "We have to do something" mindset so now they have an option to get back. It's a bad option but at least they have it.

Reaction Score
Ehh, guess they had to do it this way. Too late to move it up to a Thursday/Friday game. And neither team has a mutual bye week until December 2nd weekend (weekend after the conference regular season is done and they're playing the AAC title game). Other than cancelling the game altogether, it's all they could do.

Reaction Score

>>The move was made in coordination with both universities and the conference office to allow USF adequate time to safely return to the USF campus ahead of the advance of Hurricane Irma.

"For the past several days, I have been monitoring the potential impacts of Hurricane Irma and consulting with our university leadership, outside agencies, the University of Connecticut and the leadership of the American Athletic Conference," USF Director of Athletics Mark Harlan said. "At this time, based on the current forecast, we believe that we can travel safely to and from Connecticut for the game. We have alternate return plans should conditions deteriorate faster than expected, and we greatly appreciate the University of Connecticut working with us during this time. <<

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
>>The move was made in coordination with both universities and the conference office to allow USF adequate time to safely return to the USF campus ahead of the advance of Hurricane Irma.

"For the past several days, I have been monitoring the potential impacts of Hurricane Irma and consulting with our university leadership, outside agencies, the University of Connecticut and the leadership of the American Athletic Conference," USF Director of Athletics Mark Harlan said. "At this time, based on the current forecast, we believe that we can travel safely to and from Connecticut for the game. We have alternate return plans should conditions deteriorate faster than expected, and we greatly appreciate the University of Connecticut working with us during this time. <<
Huh?

I am not going to understand the time change no matter who explains it to me.

Safe travels to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc