**Head's Up ~ Potential Game Time change for USF Game** | Page 10 | The Boneyard

**Head's Up ~ Potential Game Time change for USF Game**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It baffles me how people would leave their family to deal with potential fatality and destruction to begin with.

Cancel the game. Let them stay home. The coaches and players can hang together with their significant others instead of evacuating.

it's the upside of a lesser football conference - cancel/postpone it. In truth, other than the nuts here (Hi!) and a few nuts at USF, no one cares.

Reaction Score
It baffles me how people don't get this!!! I'd rather die trying to get home, then to leave my family/friends to deal with the potential fatality/destruction alone.

"Sorry honey, I'm heading to CT for the football game. I'll be gone until the storm passes. Hopefully, you'll all be here when I get back. Love you guys."

I get that USF has a game on Friday but I have to believe that that game is the furthest thing from their minds right now. I also believe that had USF been playing Illinois this week, the game would have been cancelled. IMO, the only reasons the UConn game is being played is because (1) it's a conference game and (2) should the storm hit as strong they're predicting, USF's game Friday will likely be cancelled.

You can stop being baffled because everyone gets that. They're not gonna be able to be with their loved ones during this storm.

Everything will turn out fine here. But the level of self righteousness that some people will go to is astounding. We get it. You're a great guy and a caring soul and you want everyone on the internet to know. My mother is in Ft. Lauderdale, so it's not like this isn't impacting others here as well.

Reaction Score
How many USF players are from FLA? What about the families of players who do live in FLA? Bet they would rather have them in CT this weekend. I know this is a tough call for the league and USF. I am good with anything that is decided.

Reaction Score
The decision needed to be made based on info as of a certain time yesterday due to logistics of moving 100+ people plus equipment for the game from Tampa to East Hartford. At that time, Tampa was closer to middle of the cone and forecast wind arrival was 9 a.m. Sunday.

USF wanted a "safe" window to get back home or would cancel the game. That safe window appears to have been 12 hours before arrival of any potential effects from the storm. As of yesterday morning that meant arriving back at TPA before 9 p.m.

That USF wants its student athletes back in a controlled environment that has a hurricane plan in place is their choice. They are not flying into storm. They are getting back ahead of it. They are putting their kids first in terms of a plan which is what they should do.If you have been to USF, you know it is away from the coast, has few high rise buildings and probably serves as an evacuation center ion major storms. The kids from USF will be safe there.

Options considered were moving the game to Friday PM, start earlier or cancel. The worst option for both teams and the conference was cancelling the game. There probably was consideration about getting officials to the game which probably complicated the Friday option in addition to USF logistic complications. I think they truck all their equipment; can you play a game without your own equipment? So kickoff in the morning on Saturday. A win/win for everyone.

Enjoy a bloody Mary or 4 early Saturday. Plan on watching all of the 3:30-4 o'clock games. Enjoy dinner out after a win. Lots of benefits to this solution if you choose to view it that way.

Reaction Score
It baffles me how people would leave their family to deal with potential fatality and destruction to begin with.

Cancel the game. Let them stay home. The coaches and players can hang together with their significant others instead of evacuating.
I don't disagree, but I think the potential of losing two games (one in conference) may have factored into getting this game in.

Reaction Score
You can stop being baffled because everyone gets that. They're not gonna be able to be with their loved ones during this storm.

Everything will turn out fine here. But the level of self righteousness that some people will go to is astounding. We get it. You're a great guy and a caring soul and you want everyone on the internet to know. My mother is in Ft. Lauderdale, so it's not like this isn't impacting others here as well.
You angry bro....

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The decision needed to be made based on info as of a certain time yesterday due to logistics of moving 100+ people plus equipment for the game from Tampa to East Hartford. At that time, Tampa was closer to middle of the cone and forecast wind arrival was 9 a.m. Sunday.

USF wanted a "safe" window to get back home or would cancel the game. That safe window appears to have been 12 hours before arrival of any potential effects from the storm. As of yesterday morning that meant arriving back at TPA before 9 p.m.

That USF wants its student athletes back in a controlled environment that has a hurricane plan in place is their choice. They are not flying into storm. They are getting back ahead of it. They are putting their kids first in terms of a plan which is what they should do.If you have been to USF, you know it is away from the coast, has few high rise buildings and probably serves as an evacuation center ion major storms. The kids from USF will be safe there.

Options considered were moving the game to Friday PM, start earlier or cancel. The worst option for both teams and the conference was cancelling the game. There probably was consideration about getting officials to the game which probably complicated the Friday option in addition to USF logistic complications. I think they truck all their equipment; can you play a game without your own equipment? So kickoff in the morning on Saturday. A win/win for everyone.

Enjoy a bloody Mary or 4 early Saturday. Plan on watching all of the 3:30-4 o'clock games. Enjoy dinner out after a win. Lots of benefits to this solution if you choose to view it that way.
Who let the voice of reason in here?

Reaction Score
Stubborn old guinea refuses to leave. Major pain point for me right now.

Ha - just heard that story yesterday. Aunt and Uncle in late 70's - 6 house in from Hollywood Beach Boardwalk (mandatory evac). One daughter wanted to fly them up to Boston to spend time w/ grandkids for a long weekend - they decide to ride it out in Plantation w/ the other daughter/husband/kids.

Godspeed to Mom!

Reaction Score
Why don't you go somewhere else? I don't know where you live, but maybe you should not be there when the hurricane hits.
Vero Beach. Between my girlfriend and I we have 5 animals, 2 dogs and 3 cats. Not easy to up and get out. We are preparing to make a move. Simply getting out of the path of the storm isn't all of it. My livelihood along with many others are directly in the path of this monster. Homes, life savings, etc. Sure we can run, but we don't know what we will be coming back to.

I'm from CT originally. Never thought a hurricane was a big deal. I went through Charley while on vacation in 2004. 105 mph winds in Orlando did some significant damage. Wide spread power outage. Parks closed down for a day or two. This is an entirely different animal.

Reaction Score
FYI... Liberty Magnet is your closet pet friendly shelter.
Just saw that. Thank you for the information. I do have a place to go. Still waiting to see what finally shakes out with it all. We should be okay. The path has again moved west of Miami. Thankfully wind speeds have decreased but a lot can change between now and then. The calm before the storm here. Beautiful blue skies and sunshine. But we all know what is looming.

I'm due to travel to CT for one last trip before season begins here.Was suppose to be September 12-20 has now been moved to the 14th. Hoping this storm is gone and done with by then and aftermath isn't too bad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Traveler Advisory - Hurricane Irma - Tampa
We are keeping an eye on Hurricane Irma's track and current conditions at TPA. The Airport will provide general updates on flight cancelations on our social media channels. We’re on Facebook and as @FlyTPA on Twitter and Instagram. For details on the status of specific flights, please check with your airline.

Helpful tips:

• For the latest updates from Tampa International Airport, follow @FlyTPA on Twitter and Instagram or find us at Facebook/FlyTPA.
  • Visit your airline website for the policy and guidelines to change your flight or rebook travel during a storm advisory.
  • Please check with your airline for flight status before coming at the Airport to travel or to meet an arriving flight.
  • The Airport is not a designated shelter and roads to and from the Airport may become inaccessible under certain conditions limiting available resources. For your comfort and safety, we ask that anyone needing to evacuate find a designated shelter in your area that is equipped and staffed to handle the needs of stranded individuals for an extended period of time.

Tampa will close at 8 PM Saturday. Last flight out will be at 7 PM. St. Pete Clearwater is closing Saturday, too or tonight.

Reaction Score

USF Sundome is hosting evacuation people this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom