**Head's Up ~ Potential Game Time change for USF Game** | Page 8 | The Boneyard

**Head's Up ~ Potential Game Time change for USF Game**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Irma is 400 miles wide currently. South Florida is what... 150+/- miles wide? Even a East coast "miss" is a hit.
When The eye was 50 miles from San Juan and the speed on 185 the winds in San Juan was 50 so they can land in those winds

Reaction Score
The AAC is changing the start time to allow USF to return to Tampa to prep for the Friday game at Illinois? Ant they actually thought of cancelling it. You don't think the league is rinky dink?

Reaction Score
We are the master of #hottakes on here

My prayers are with all those who have already been affected and those who will be affected over the next few days or so.

I think all things fun in this country should be canceled until all of the displaced people in Houston find adequate housing.

and to be clear all I suggested previously is that they stay in CT until the storm blows over. I can't help but wonder if their game on Friday makes them not want to do that and don't bring up classes because if they get hit i'm sure classes will be canceled.

The person who brought up ESPN's failure to cancel commercials to speed up the game brings up a good point. Nice job by Orlando based Disney!

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The plane literally flew through the bands of the storm in order to get the people out.
And in this case the plan might literally fly through the bands of the storm in order to get people in.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
The Hurricane Center is forecasting that tropical storm winds will arrive in Tampa at 8 p.m. on Saturday. 1 1/2 - 2 hours may make all of the difference in them getting back before the airport closes. It's shocking to me to see people whining about this when it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
I am somewhat shocked people believe its reasonable to hurry your football team home via plane, before the Tampa airport closes due to tropical force winds, so they can be in there dorm room for a TS/Hurricane.

Reaction Score
When The eye was 50 miles from San Juan and the speed on 185 the winds in San Juan was 50 so they can land in those winds

Miami airport will shut down when winds reach 35. I saw the news on the Delta flight leaving San Juan.

Reaction Score
Miami just made the same decision to not travel to Arkansas State... didn't see a forfeiting discussion though.
Miami sent their students home on Tuesday The storm is forecast to go right over the city as a major Category 4 or 5 hurricane and may disrupt the city for weeks. Tampa will be affected but not nearly to the same degree. One school needs accommodations, the other needs prayers.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The amount of "I don't see how this matters" in this thread is insane. You don't think they talked to pilots? People at TPA? Meteorologists? In making this decision, yet because you're part of some message board you must know more than them. Got it.

Reaction Score
Do I like this? Not one bit, but it is not about me. One thing I am a little disturbed with is the fact that notification of the time change was found on The Courant site and The Boneyard and still no email from UConn. The so called promotional / personal liaison company really dropped the ball on this one....

What we need now is a thread for who can put up a USF player for a night or two in case the forecast changes. :) We must continue to get our new low budget conference off the ground in all possible ways. Our home is open for a coach or player for a few days of hospitality if needed. ;)
I will put up the cheerleaders. :D

Reaction Score
The amount of "I don't see how this matters" in this thread is insane. You don't think they talked to pilots? People at TPA? Meteorologists? In making this decision, yet because you're part of some message board you must know more than them. Got it.

Seriously, and damn those people for wanting to be with their families instead of 1300 miles away wondering if their kids (coaches) or parents (players) are good during the storm

polycom

Reaction Score
Seriously, and damn those people for wanting to be with their families instead of 1300 miles away wondering if their kids (coaches) or parents (players) are good during the storm

Yeah...completely disconnected from reality. If hurricane was coming to CT, how many people would want to be in Florida wondering how their family is doing.

Bonehead

Reaction Score

So the players are flying into Tampa airport after the game and then driving themselves to their parents houses all around the state of Florida so they can be with ther families during the storm?

This sounds dangerous to me.

This game should be cancelled and probably will be.

polycom

Reaction Score
So the players are flying into Tampa airport after the game and then driving themselves to their parents houses all around the state of Florida so they can be with ther families during the storm?

That's not how college athletic travel works... They'll take a bus from the airport back to campus or back to a pre-designated spot that is deemed safe... I doubt they let their players do their own thing once they get back to Florida.

Reaction Score
I am somewhat shocked people believe its reasonable to hurry your football team home via plane, before the Tampa airport closes due to tropical force winds, so they can be in there dorm room for a TS/Hurricane.
Tampa is currently expected to have tropical storm force winds with a very low likelihood of hurricane force winds (only if the path significantly changes). It will be on the return side of the storm, which is far weaker in general and will be particularly so in this case as that side will be completely over land. There may be some flooding, wind damage and clean up required, but winds like that are not a major safety problem for those sheltered in modern buildings. If the storm shifts to the West Coast of Florida I'm sure they will reassess plans.

The better plan for a state school that will receive Tropical Storm winds while much of its student population comes from areas that will be devastated by a major hurricane would be to offer shelter in campus buildings for the families.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Tampa is currently expected to have tropical storm force winds with a very low likelihood of hurricane force winds (only if the path significantly changes). It will be on the return side of the storm, which is far weaker in general and will be particularly so in this case as that side will be completely over land. There may be some flooding, wind damage and clean up required, but winds like that are not a major safety problem for those sheltered in modern buildings. If the storm shifts to the West Coast of Florida I'm sure they will reassess plans.

The better plan for a state school that will receive Tropical Storm winds while much of its student population come from areas that will be devastated by a major hurricane would be to offer shelter in campus buildings for the families.
Only then would these players be with their families during the storm.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There's a story in the Boston Herald today about all the people from south Florida who are flying into Boston to get away from the storm. And we're worried about a game that takes the USF players and coaches out of the path of the storm? They need to just stay a day or so longer and ride it out.

Reaction Score

The self righteousness is this thread is incredible. As if a NASA friggin meteorologist can predict when this hits Tampa within a 5 min window.

If they are that concerned about 5 friggin minutes they should just cancel the game. Bad enough they are hurrying up to get INTO harms way.

polycom

Reaction Score
The self righteousness is this thread is incredible. As if a NASA friggin meteorologist can predict when this hits Tampa within a 5 min window.

If they are that concerned about 5 friggin minutes they should just cancel the game. Bad enough they are hurrying up to get INTO harms way.

Why do you hate science? Delta was able to get a plane INTO PR and out before the storm came yesterday. Do you think it was magic?

Reaction Score
Yeah...completely disconnected from reality. If hurricane was coming to CT, how many people would want to be in Florida wondering how their family is doing.

This is likely the motivating factor for most. From a practical standpoint the best option is probably evacuation or working with the USF admin to offer the families other options rather than to hurry the team back into a risky travel situation. But I'm guessing a few wives and family members don't see it that way. If USF thinks a win over Illinois holds the key to the CFB Playoff then God Bless. Their OOC schedule stinks and they can win every game but they aren't busting that Cartel with a big win over Illinois.

Reaction Score
Why do you hate science? Delta was able to get a plane INTO PR and out before the storm came yesterday. Do you think it was magic?

The question isn't whether you can pull it off but why? Anyone know when they fly in to BDL?

Reaction Score

Yes because that's exactly what I'm saying.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I agree with @Jimmy Serrano

Either cancel the game or play it normally and have the USF coaches/players stay in CT and keep them out of harms way.

What happens if after they fly to CT and the storm path changes? Just seems really short sighted to send this program back into the heart of the storm.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Looks like the center of the storm won't hit Tampa area until late Sunday/early Monday. Obviously the affects will be felt earlier though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom