**Head's Up ~ Potential Game Time change for USF Game** | Page 3 | The Boneyard

**Head's Up ~ Potential Game Time change for USF Game**

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Perhaps UConn's being reasonably empathetic, but quite frankly the game will likely kick off as scheduled Saturday at 11:11 am ET. However, no solid reason now exists for USF not to arrive as scheduled sometime late Thursday or more likely Friday. Similarly, it's highly unlikely Irma bee lines to CT by 12 noon or even by 4 pm ET Saturday. Irma's trajectory could change, but current forecasts don't project the storm will hit Tampa too hard for USF's return flight arriving late Saturday or Sunday.

Everyone's missing the big picture.

Why would you have an elective flight using an airport where essentially all traffic needs to leave?

It's not just about direct impact to USF (which is substantial)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why wouldnt you stay in CT Saturday evening and not be in the Florida dorm during a hurricane?
My only guess is that if they can't get back before the hurricane hits they may not be able to land for an additional three or four days (depending on the damage). All in all it would make more sense to stay up here for a few extra days if necessary.

Reaction Score
Why would you have an elective flight using an airport where essentially all traffic needs to leave?
Perhaps, but your view may not be consistent with suggestions of potentially kicking off Saturday at 10:30 am versus 12 noon. Either way, USF would be flying back to TPA where all traffic may or may not need to leave. If some legitimacy applied, then perhaps USF just stays overnight Saturday and waits out a tropical storm to possible hurricane which may possibly hit Tampa.

Reaction Score
here is the latest spaghetti model for Irma issued at noon. The #'s are hours out from noon today. Most recent guidance is more easterly track. Since no one knows their original travel plan, moving the game up by 90 minutes probably allows landing within a reasonable window of opportunity (24 hours prior to any potential impact) versus their original plan that had a worst case window of <24 hours.
upload_2017-9-6_14-43-25.png

Reaction Score
here is the latest spaghetti model for Irma issued at noon. The #'s are hours out from noon today. Most recent guidance is more easterly track. Since no one knows their original travel plan, moving the game up by 90 minutes probably allows landing within a reasonable window of opportunity (24 hours prior to any potential impact) versus their original plan that had a worst case window of <24 hours.
View attachment 24683
They are playing football in Tallahassee and Gainesville at noon and want to cancel this game in CT. I do not mean to have a lack of compassion but the whole thing is ridiculous. Keep the kids (who come from all over) safe which can be accomplished if the game is played either by flying back or not if that is not wise after game is completed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't get this at all. The storm will be in the Florida peninsula throughout Saturday. There's no chance of this affecting New England at all on Saturday; conversely there's almost no way to plan to get USF back to Tampa at all on Saturday or Sunday.

It sounds nuts to try and plan on moving game earlier to try and beat the storm to Tampa by Saturday afternoon.

Reaction Score
They are playing football in Tallahassee and Gainesville at noon and want to cancel this game in CT. I do not mean to have a lack of compassion but the whole thing is ridiculous. Keep the kids (who come from all over) safe which can be accomplished if the game is played either by flying back or not if that is not wise after game is completed.
Difference is flying into versus flying away from a storm.

Whomever is flying USF, TPA (the airport) and likely the FAA have procedures, rules and guidelines for severe weather flights that are longer than a thunderstorm. This is a known potential event and flying into an event is the issue. It may also be an issue for the carrier to fly in and get the plane back out within whatever safe window that has been established. So the call on a time change needs to be made earlier rather than at the last minute.

Keeping USF here for a prolonged period is not a good solution either for a whole slew of reasons. If a 90 minute time change helps keep the game and gets USF back home in a safe manner, and you are Uconn, just do it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I bet USF cancels. If they lose to us, they will be very annoyed they didn't cancel.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The fact this is even a discussion leads me to believe they will err on the side of caution and cancel the game.

Reaction Score
First of all, we don't know when (how many hours(or days) before/after the storm intensifies or sbsides) Florida airports may cancel flights in-out.

So we have no idea of the last chance to safely evacuate or return by plane. Too much is at risk to be concerned about the cancelation of a game.

Reaction Score
Difference is flying into versus flying away from a storm.

Whomever is flying USF, TPA (the airport) and likely the FAA have procedures, rules and guidelines for severe weather flights that are longer than a thunderstorm. This is a known potential event and flying into an event is the issue. It may also be an issue for the carrier to fly in and get the plane back out within whatever safe window that has been established. So the call on a time change needs to be made earlier rather than at the last minute.

Keeping USF here for a prolonged period is not a good solution either for a whole slew of reasons. If a 90 minute time change helps keep the game and gets USF back home in a safe manner, and you are Uconn, just do it.

My point is that you make that decision later. If it makes sense to not fly back at that time then that would supersede a "slew of reasons" to not stay. I am fine if they move it up but cancelling seems ridiculous.

Reaction Score
  1. No reason why the game can't be played as scheduled. If USF needs to come up here a day early to avoid any weather related problems with their flight then so be it.
  2. If their families are in that grave of danger they should already be making plans to evacuate and should have evacuated by Friday when the storm is supposed to get to Florida.
Common sense is a dwindling commodity in the world now a days. Bring the team up here a day early. keep them here as long as it takes to ensure their safety getting back down to Florida. If their families don't take the hint after watching what happened in Texas, knowing an even stronger storm is heading towards them.... well I don't know what to tell ya.

Reaction Score
Eh, if it helps them get back safely fine. Still don't understand why they wouldn't just fly back Monday but whatever. Kills the tailgate.

Reaction Score
Eh, if it helps them get back safely fine. Still don't understand why they wouldn't just fly back Monday but whatever. Kills the tailgate.

I wonder if it has to do with flying up here in the first place. Airports are already starting to close. I don't agree, but they may think it's a bad look to go play football when the plane could be re-tasked to aid in evacuations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom