Hawkins injury. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hawkins injury.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe there is an actual layer of something like marshmallow that forms around your brain, protecting it from impact trauma. Or maybe it just feels that way.
Like a delicious fluffy cloud of concussion preventing goodness.

Reaction Score
Tua-ish was obviously the wrong term to use and struck a nerve with some posters, to that I apologize. Reading the quote that he isn't in protocols sounded off to me. Anyways, time to move on and hopefully he gets better soon.

P.S. It's lovely walking into the boneyard and seeing 10 dislike notifications.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I’ve taken a lot of gravity bong hits and have never had a concussion. This science checks out.
ok, that's funny.
i've had a bunch a head whacks over time (insert jokes here), starting in childhood when i had the amazing talent of regularly falling down the carpeted stairs (13! i counted.) from floor 2 to floor 1 at home. my 8th grade school pic has me with a big raspberry on the side of my mug as i slipped when running on the walk, and banged my head on the hubcap of a car parked along the curb. and then ...... well, let's just say eventually, sorta, i learned to slow my roll, cuz i was getting tired of that. hurts and sometimes gives u headaches. like hooch, where i eventually decided not to drink to point of barf anymore cuz it hurts and sometimes give u headaches.
i think jhawk is full of energy too, and just needs to learn how to channel it so he won't be taking unexpected hits to his package. there'll still be plenty of expected ones in this life.
pretty sure this one will teach him to take it down a gear.
he'll be fine.
general observations: drunk people on the court get edgy and are a danger to themselves and everyone else. prone to fights. they're always seeing things different than reality.
stoned people on the court tend to move slower, not prone to fights, and only a danger to themselves as the ball passed to them hard and fast may just hit them in the face, cuz their attention span is around 2 seconds. they can't see anything, and just wonder if the bodega near the courts sell doritos and sunny d, when they should be playing d!

of course, everyone is different in their response when concussed, and no two are alike. it's why the good lord invented football, cuz we're all not the same. case in point: rosa. the whole team is in the hospital at times, yet that guy bounces up after each and every whack. impressive. good on him. i can't do that. don't want to, either.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I believe there is an actual layer of something like marshmallow that forms around your brain, protecting it from impact trauma. Or maybe it just feels that way.
Until you get the munchies, and try to eat it...

Reaction Score
“A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI) that can occur after an impact to your head. Concussions can also happen during a whiplash-type injury that causes your head and brain to shake quickly back and forth.”

View attachment 80454
Lmao thanks son, I’ve only been a speech pathologist working in hospitals for 7 years, the last 2.5 being in a trauma center. Who knew concussions could be caused by whiplash??

Back up and try to think logically. Think a little deeper. Set aside the people here who were there within earshot and heard the impact; and set aside the limited physical possibility of a whiplash injury during the fall he took, and the typical inertia-arresting movements that cause whiplash. Saggital vs vertical planes of motion, and typical neck range of motion.

Why would he be crumpled in a ball holding the back/top of his skull if there was no forcible contact with the floor? He would be holding his neck if it were whiplash.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It isn’t the NFL but UConn has some very good and well respected neurologists. Dr Alessi consults with the AD is highly regarded. He also is the Yankees neuro guy and is a consultant to the NFL PA so it isn’t like UConn is picking a guy off the internet as you kind of make it sound.

One problem with concussions is that they are hard to diagnose in part because players lie. They want to play. But UConn will have a really top doc looking at Hawkins
My point is that they aren’t right there on the sideline at every event.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Tua-ish was obviously the wrong term to use and struck a nerve with some posters, to that I apologize. Reading the quote that he isn't in protocols sounded off to me. Anyways, time to move on and hopefully he gets better soon.

P.S. It's lovely walking into the boneyard and seeing 10 dislike notifications.
Appreciate you acknowledging a mistake. I think that might be a first on the yard.

Reaction Score
They looked bloodshot to me. It would not be surprising to me if he was upset upon hearing he was going to be pulled from the game. He knows what’s at stake for him if he ends up being prone to further concussions.
My thoughts exactly

Reaction Score
My impression was he got up and was probably told to stay down until Doran got there. Didn't physically look wobbly/dazed like you normally see with a concussion (see Tua a couple weeks back).

@Dutch Boyd and @UCSouth ....not sure what your reactions to my original post mean exactly, but please know I'm not being insensitive to head injuries. Just pointing out that my initial reaction was that it didn't seem quite as severe as other instances I've seen. From what we're hearing (I know it's still early), it seems like my intuition looks pretty accurate at this point.
Just paraphrasing here, but you said... "it didn't look like he hit his head that hard." Head vs floor and I promise you that the floor is going to win, regardless of how hard you hit it. No ill will intended.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I enjoy the ounce of protection AND the pound of cure!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
A whole ounce? Good god man, don't know if I'd be able to keep up with that
Not with the high quality prevention in use these days. Back in the 70s, when be an ounce of prevention cost $40, maybe.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Lmao thanks son, I’ve only been a speech pathologist working in hospitals for 7 years, the last 2.5 being in a trauma center. Who knew concussions could be caused by whiplash??

Back up and try to think logically. Think a little deeper. Set aside the people here who were there within earshot and heard the impact; and set aside the limited physical possibility of a whiplash injury during the fall he took, and the typical inertia-arresting movements that cause whiplash. Saggital vs vertical planes of motion, and typical neck range of motion.

Why would he be crumpled in a ball holding the back/top of his skull if there was no forcible contact with the floor? He would be holding his neck if it were whiplash.
I’m not interested in arguing if his head hit the floor, the consensus seems to be it did in some capacity. So let’s go with that. My original post was a reaction from seeing it in slow mo on TV, so I’ll admit that can be wrong.

Let me ask you seriously then, can athletes who suffer falls like the one Hawkins took experience whiplash? It’s not the sort of thing a normal human would ever experience, so I’m not sure you can use generalizations to justify saying it’s impossible. Couldn’t the force of hitting the floor violently cause his neck to jerk violently, leading to a concussion or brain injury? Genuinely curious.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a replay of him hitting his head?

I missed it and am curious how bad it looked live.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Happy to hear he’s not in protocol. Hope that’s the right decision.

Reaction Score
I’m not interested in arguing if his head hit the floor, the consensus seems to be it did in some capacity. So let’s go with that. My original post was a reaction from seeing it in slow mo on TV, so I’ll admit that can be wrong.
I appreciate that
Let me ask you seriously then, can athletes who suffer falls like the one Hawkins took experience whiplash? It’s not the sort of thing a normal human would ever experience, so I’m not sure you can use generalizations to justify saying it’s impossible. Couldn’t the force of hitting the floor violently cause his neck to jerk violently, leading to a concussion or brain injury? Genuinely curious.

No problem. Bear with me through this initial stuff, of which you’re probably aware of a decent amount; it’s meant to lead to the answer of your question. The mechanics of brain injury is important to lay out so that my answer makes most sense. *or you can skip ahead to the asterisk

I alluded to the mechanism of arresting/initiating inertia. The inertia of the brain is the core cause of a brain injury. The brain starts moving, and then the head abruptly stops; the brain however keeps moving because it’s essentially floating in liquid, encased by the skull. When the brain keeps moving, it eventually hits the inside of the skull; then often bounces back and hits the other inner surface. This impacts cause respective coup and contre-coup injuries; and, when severe enough, can cause a “stretching” of the nuronal connections about the brain called axonal shear injury, which typically implies a relatively severe injury.

Most concussions are associated with a forward/backward head motion (about the saggital plane) coming to an immediate arrest against an object.

Many concussions are associated with a still head, but an object traveling fast. This is more so related to the blunt force impact.

Plenty of concussions happen from a twisting type of movement with the same inertia principles; think about someone getting caught on the chin in boxing. There’s no actual skull trauma; but the spinning of the head and the strain on neurons deeper in the brain associated with wakefulness are strained, resulting in loss of consciousness.

So, thinking about the classic whiplash injury: someone stopped at a light in a car, hit from behind. The sudden forward movement of the skull is often what causes the most-associated symptom of neck pain (and this is why it’s called whiplash). The head will eventually come to a stop; and if the head was lurched fast/far enough forward, upon stopping and flinging back via a ricochet effect, that then causes the brain to impact the inside of the skull. That is how someone can suffer a brain injury secondary to whiplash.

Now, thinking about how the inertia is arrested. In a whiplash, the head eventually stops; but the deceleration is nothing like impacting a stationary object such as a wall or a windshield or the floor. This is why truly severe brain injuries are not associated primarily with whiplash.

*Now as far as the specific action of falling, landing flat, and possibly getting whiplash without hitting one’s head on the floor. The neck range of motion is such that, when the torso is stationary, all healthy people have range of motion well past the shoulders. In order to somehow not hit one’s head on the floor, someone would in essence have to consciously apply inhuman strength/coordination with maintaining neck flexion, as they’re falling, to fight gravity so as to prevent the head shooting back past the shoulders to hit the floor. That would necessarily stop whatever forces would be required to cause a whiplash injury. Any kind of force that would in another plane of motion against gravity (such as being upright) cause whiplash would more clearly and logically cause someone to hit their head on the floor; and then that trauma becomes a more obvious and more severe mechanism of brain injury. That’s why I would say, to me, it seems nigh impossible for an athlete moving and falling and absorbing impact in the specific (but common) way we saw last night to have a true whiplash injury. They’ll either miraculously prevent the neck extension in the first place, resulting in no head impact and no significant brain injury at all; or they will fail, and the floor will stop their head motion much more suddenly than in a classic whiplash event.

@Doctor Hoop feel free to chime in

Reaction Score
It isn’t the NFL but UConn has some very good and well respected neurologists. Dr Alessi consults with the AD is highly regarded. He also is the Yankees neuro guy and is a consultant to the NFL PA so it isn’t like UConn is picking a guy off the internet as you kind of make it sound.

One problem with concussions is that they are hard to diagnose in part because players lie. They want to play. But UConn will have a really top doc looking at Hawkins
Also boxing at Mohega

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hope he’s ok.

But Hurley needed to bench him early in the game for like 30 seconds to calm him down. He was pushing so hard and was very jittery, very easy to tell.

The classic UConn example of this was Ray Allen vs. Villanova at Gampel. Ray was so overexcited and he was way off. JC put him on the bench for a few minutes and then Ray went off.

Reaction Score
Also boxing at Mohega

Can confirm. Has patched up a few of my friends after MMA/boxing fights at Mohegan. I fought 3x at Mohegan at Reality Fighting and he was always super professional. Pre-fight checks were more thorough than anywhere else that I remember. Most of the time your fight doc is some med student who needs extra cash or a PCP who isn't an expert on neurology. I know he's denied fighters that were allowed to fight in other states before. I respect him a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom