Hawkins injury. | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Hawkins injury.

Reaction Score
Man, some people on this board sure are nasty to each other for no apparent reason. I am not a medical professional, but I know I just bought a mountain bike helmet that has MIPS technology, which is supposed to reduce rotational forces on the brain and possibly reduce concussions.

It is certainly reasonable to think that there’s people exploring options for brain protection, whether it be for driving, soccer, rugby, or basketball.

UConn basketball looks good, football is fun, and we’re doing it with some home-grown CT talent. Enjoy the ride and be nice.

Reaction Score
Don't care when Hawk plays.. When he does.. Let it loose.

Been hesitating to bring this up on the uber-critical Yard.. But.. If you've played or coached talented high-flyers.. Irrespective of the sport.. Once you leave you feet.. How do you protect yourself from injury and accomplish your goal? (scoring)..Part of the task is how you land once back on the ground after you have been "bumped/nudged" by your defender to avoid injury.. If I'm an opposing coach in the BE.. My guy is going to body Hawk.. How does he overcome that and stay focused on his shot? A big deal for DH /Hawk IMO

Reaction Score

Been hesitating to bring this up on the uber-critical Yard.. But.. If you've played or coached talented high-flyers.. Irrespective of the sport.. Once you leave you feet.. How do you protect yourself from injury and accomplish your goal? (scoring)..Part of the task is how you land once back on the ground after you have been "bumped/nudged" by your defender to avoid injury.. If I'm an opposing coach in the BE.. My guy is going to body Hawk.. How does he overcome that and stay focused on his shot? A big deal for DH /Hawk IMO
We’ll if this happens I hope Richie is ready for some “goon” minutes. Where are all my John Chaney fans at?? RIP

Reaction Score
My point was that a helmet doesn't protect the brain from the impact of hitting the inside of the skull.
But it does, dopey. Ever-evolving helmets have had their padding relieve inertia-arresting forces on the brain by absorbing skull impact on the inside of helmets. Have you noticed the evolution of helmets from 1910 to 2020? They were on to things before your pappy was born, dopey.

I ask you once again to answer directly: would you or would you rather not wear a helmet if you anticipated a forceful impact between your head and the floor?

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

it's called center of gravity. period. hawk is an energy guy, kind of like a new born colt, deer, etc. learning curve time. i still can't believe soo many here triple analyzed his fall, and don't get it. his natural ability and enthusiasm took him high, and given his computers info to date, he expected his left leg to be there to help brace his down. it didn't becuz the angle of it hitting the floor was too steep to handle the unexpected part - a slip. so he comes down, computer telling him his leg is strong enuf to handle the job, but loses traction on the landing. bingo! left leg flies thru the 5 hole of the defender, on his back he goes. a hard lesson.
basketball is beautiful, and fun, becuz so much of it is air ballet, and those who understand/feel/instinct their center of gravity know how high or horizontal they can safely get, cuz every normal person hates having their legs come out from under them. of course, there are always outliers who regularly end up on the floor yet bounce up always. see, 'victor rosa.'
people like to say 'be on ur toes.' tru dat becuz that's the holy grail of biomechanics. game aside, when i first saw russ westbrook play way back, he immediately went into my 'holy cow!' hall of fame. he is always on his toes. max ballet ability. u could put a raw egg under his heel, and it would never crack (figuratively). it's why he could fly to the basket in a heartbeat. similarily, he never had to worry much aboot landing, becuz once again, he is hardwired to land on his toes -like a cat!
fastest way to get clocked on a court is to be the player, even ever so slightly, who puts a hand on anothers lower back when they are in the air, just below that players center of gravity. the offended player usually gets up, snarling and glaring, and often with a clenched fist cuz at the moment of offense, it freaks u up. scary sauce cuz u are completely helpless in your mind as it prepares for a nasty fall.
u learn, over time, what hits u can handle when in the air, even the ones that put u on the floor regularly yet without injury. bumps and bruises, meh.
you can examine a persons shoes, and know almost instantly whether they are a plodder (worn at the heels) or light on their feet (heels always look brand new).
russ is aging, and his heels spend a lot more time anchored to the floor.

rewatch the video on hawks fall and think physics and traction slip.
time is a beeyotch. stay on your toes as long as you can.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
not for everyone, but the only time i wear a helmet is in and around the tree cutting process. no bike, no board or ski lid, nuthin, no where. i guess i was lucky when i was aboot four as my first formal training in sport was
how to fall by a very wise military man in a kids class. since then, i've fallen a lot, with the vast majority of outcomes amounting to nothing, tho some were humdingers, whatever that means. prolly means 'ouch and now ur out of action for a bit.' i wonder if hawks butt is sore, as that's where the force vector was greatest. the head bounce seemed a bit nonlinear as usually your upper body/shoulders/neck instantly freeze to prevent/diminish that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can we drop the helmet discussion here or at least start another helmet dedicated thread? Would be great to leave the discussion here to hawks potential return date speculation, or breaking news, etc. just my 2 cents. Carry on.

Reaction Score
I think Hawkins will play on Tuesday in a motorcycle helmet.
1668345557078.gif

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
lesson of the fall. not the pumpkin spice one, that's just nasty.
short version -the fetal position, ie scrunched up and to your side.
imagine that!
running backs scratching for a tough yard, the popo trying to break down a door, long list of examples. when we are going down big time, our autopilot tries to get us to rotate to land on our side, since perfectly executed, the odds of an insignificant hit causing big damage lessin dramatically. no loose ends to break or stretch, smaller chance of getting whacked in the nuts, stabbing our breadbasket, taking a sharp stick to the eye, smashing our sniffer, and such. a direct shot to the forehead is no bueno, tho folks often freak when a minor and insignificant smash to it breaks a pantload of vessels, and they bleed out -for a moment. much ado aboot nothing, just looks ugly - for a moment. wipe it off.
everything vital and mechanical is least exposed on a side landing, tho rarely, a hard force applied to the upper arm area can transmit across the clavicle and knock a vertebrae out of alignment, or worse, break it.
often tho, the worst thing that can happen is that u mess up your shoulder. rest it, surger it, corto it, whatever, eventually it should come around.
evolution has hardwired us to try and rotate to our side in mid flight as we go down. if we stick the standing to have the max force hitting us somewhere in the upper arm, preferably after we've course corrected in mid-air to the fetal position with full scrunch on the arms, legs, and head, the chances of bouncing up increase significantly. landing forward is way too risky as it is completely dependent on the strength and reliability of the push up move. an old wrist, elbow, or shoulder injury can reappear in a nanosecond. u push down, but there's nothing there. no juice. i hate it when that happens. a back landing is the worst for unexpected outcomes. cf 'jordan hawkins.'
all nursery school kids should be first taught in pe on how to fall.
it only becomes of more and more value as we age, and then end up in senior times where falls and their danger become issue #1.
i like brad pitt. he never falls.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any media interviews with Hurley coming up today? Wondering if we may get an update on Hawk and Jackson for tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Any media interviews with Hurley coming up today? Wondering if we may get an update on Hawk and Jackson for tomorrow.
I'd imagine the horde is there today to get information for their articles for tomorrow's game. I'd expect we'll see some tweets about the injury situation in the late afternoon.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
13 pages... Can someone summarize what's been said other than get well soon?

Reaction Score
It appears that’s you did not fully comprehend what I originally suggested; Is it possible that UConn medical staff and engineering school could design some sort of device similar to headgear worn by amateur boxers.
You do not seem to comprehend that I am offering up a possible solution to protect JH from future concussions.
Mine does not need to be accepted but if another means of protecting JH’s head and brain from future concussions is not found, then not only will his basketball career be
limited if not over, but his future life may be negatively effected.
And that would be shame for a young man of his age to face.
And you seem to enjoy in taking an adverse opinion and belittling a sincere suggestion while offering no other positive suggestions.
I am through with replying to this non productive banter; life is two short.
Ciao
Someone add the Billy Madison gif, I award you no points and we're all stupider for having read that, to this response...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom