Having a hard time learning to love Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Having a hard time learning to love Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our offense and defense has been better than the last 6-7 years. We had a bad offensive game last night but it shouldn't detract from the gains and national attention we've seen this year. Happy where we are year 3 but not satisfied yet. More work to be done. Get on board

Reaction Score
At the risk of ostracism ...

Just a reminder to everyone here: It is neither an affront to all you value in life nor a reason to limit opinions just because you come upon a post with which you vehemently disagree.

And, by the way, this is the case in almost every area of life. I’ll keep it clean. Opinions are like anuses - everybody has one. Everybody also has a heart. You disagree? Post your own take, and the evidence to back it up. It’s okay to be wrong and inflame passions. It’s also okay for an opinion to be right yet inflammatory

By the way, here’s mine. Hurley is a dramatic step up in recruiting, with a very good eye for better-than-rated talent, motivation and team chemistry, and coaching defense. He is still a work in progress in in-game coaching and offensive creativity.
DH is evolving and developing as are the players he's recruiting to the Program. His early UConn years are not dissimilar from JC's evolution early in his UConn years.

Intensity is part of their DNA-like it or not.

Think your observations re; DH's areas to improve in are on the money.

Our poster is entitled to his opinions but perhaps could have used more finesse in delivering his message and the timing of it is unfortunate.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our poster is entitled to his opinions but perhaps could have used more finesse in delivering his message and the timing of it is unfortunate.
This is really bad take. Your troll detector must be in the shop.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Let's see- 4 years ago we were getting destroyed by 20+ points and now we are upset over losing to Creighton in a Big East semi-final. Yeah, I could totally see how you can't love Hurley

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He literally DOES bark out instructions. Like too much. You can hear him be like “ADAMA SET A SCREEN FOR POLLEY!! JALEN LOOK FOR POLLEY IN THE CORNER!!” Makes things a little predictable

Reaction Score
He literally DOES bark out instructions. Like too much. You can hear him be like “ADAMA SET A SCREEN FOR POLLEY!! JALEN LOOK FOR POLLEY IN THE CORNER!!” Makes things a little predictable
Like that great JC clip at MSG where he is yelling at Boat to pass it to a cutting Lamb screaming “hit him mother F’er!!” Over and over. JC literally did it too. Predictable

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’ll admit I’ve also noticed this more and more over the past few games and thought he sounded like I did when I was an assistant coach on my daughter’s youth soccer team. At some point I realized I was doing it more for myself as a crazed fan than I was for their development, and I stopped doing it nearly as much.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Some of these takes are hard to read. Our lottery pick wasn't 100% and played like it. Our best guard was out during crunch time. Our 3 point ace couldn't hit. Our junkyard dog was off. Our athletic freak isn't an offensive threat yet... and we were carried by a freshman who will be a star but still makes freshman mistakes (bad fouls). Given all that we had two decent looks at the end that just didn't fall against a smart and talented basketball team. A couple years ago we were getting blown out against AAC teams I can't even find on a map while trying to stream the game on a site with the production value of a high school a/v club newscast.
Yet Hurley is not nice and coaches too hard. Ok.
Onward to the tournament for the first time in years. The Boneyard could be painfully stupid at times.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's the fact that without fans, the mics pick up almost everything. So this year we were treated to 40 minutes of Hurley screaming into our living rooms. Through every. Single. Play. Rick Pitino is another incessant screamer. He did this even with the Celtics--shocker the players eventually quit on him. I don't believe Calhoun did that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he screamed when he was upset with a player or a ref, but he didn't bark orders in real time on what players should do on every possession. Do players just ignore him? How the heck do you concentrate on the play and also focus on the advice coming from your maniac coach on the sidelines?

Also.............we have to talk about the mask thing. He takes it off to talk to refs, players, and the other coach, then he puts it back on when he walks away. Is this dress rehearsal? We're a year into the pandemic. Everyone knows by now that's the OPPOSITE of what you're supposed to do. He's either being ignorant or willfully non-complaint. Neither is a good look. Especially on a team that had multiple Covid related pauses.

Plus, he just doesn't have a warm personality. Yes, Calhoun was a nut, yes he could be a total jerk, but he still often seemed like a basically likable, down to earth guy. Hurley just doesn't seem to have that soft touch to balance out his angry lunacy. So I almost get more of a Bobby Knight vibe than a Jim Calhoun vibe. Calhoun seemed relaxed and comfortable in his own skin much of the time. Hurley constantly seems like a string that's about to snap--even in interviews where he's trying to be calm.

If they don't win--like, really win--in the next couple of years, I predict he's going to quit. Mental health sabbatical. Best thing. Otherwise he might murder someone!
I would say if you are looking for better behavior stop watching sports. It's filled with super competitive jerks. Calhoun was no peach. Frankly, you should know this.

Have you ever read Mike Francesa's comments about Calhoun from the 90s. I don't remember the exact quote, but Francesa referred to JC as humorless, paranoid and thin-skinned.... maybe petty as well. Not sure Francesa is anyone to talk, but whatever. Anyways, if you are looking for a gentleman, you are looking in the wrong place. All the coaches suck on some level. They are allowed to behave in ways that would be fire-able in all other workplaces.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Some of these takes are hard to read. Our lottery pick wasn't 100% and played like it. Our best guard was out during crunch time. Our 3 point ace couldn't hit. Our junkyard dog was off. Our athletic freak isn't an offensive threat yet... and we were carried by a freshman who will be a star but still makes freshman mistakes (bad fouls). Given all that we had two decent looks at the end that just didn't fall against a smart and talented basketball team. A couple years ago we were getting blown out against AAC teams I can't even find on a map while trying to stream the game on a site with the production value of a high school a/v club newscast.
Onward to the tournament for the first time in years. The Boneyard could be painfully stupid at times.
That’s what I’m talking about! (Except for the gratuitous ad hominem at the end)

Reaction Score
Maybe it's the fact that without fans, the mics pick up almost everything. So this year we were treated to 40 minutes of Hurley screaming into our living rooms. Through every. Single. Play. Rick Pitino is another incessant screamer. He did this even with the Celtics--shocker the players eventually quit on him. I don't believe Calhoun did that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he screamed when he was upset with a player or a ref, but he didn't bark orders in real time on what players should do on every possession. Do players just ignore him? How the heck do you concentrate on the play and also focus on the advice coming from your maniac coach on the sidelines?

Also.............we have to talk about the mask thing. He takes it off to talk to refs, players, and the other coach, then he puts it back on when he walks away. Is this dress rehearsal? We're a year into the pandemic. Everyone knows by now that's the OPPOSITE of what you're supposed to do. He's either being ignorant or willfully non-complaint. Neither is a good look. Especially on a team that had multiple Covid related pauses.

Plus, he just doesn't have a warm personality. Yes, Calhoun was a nut, yes he could be a total jerk, but he still often seemed like a basically likable, down to earth guy. Hurley just doesn't seem to have that soft touch to balance out his angry lunacy. So I almost get more of a Bobby Knight vibe than a Jim Calhoun vibe. Calhoun seemed relaxed and comfortable in his own skin much of the time. Hurley constantly seems like a string that's about to snap--even in interviews where he's trying to be calm.

If they don't win--like, really win--in the next couple of years, I predict he's going to quit. Mental health sabbatical. Best thing. Otherwise he might murder someone!
It's not his fault...He's from Jersey..... that's infinitely worse than being from New York...

Reaction Score
It's not his fault...He's from Jersey..... that's infinitely worse than being from New York...
If you were some other college's Athletic Director, I guess you wouldn't hire him.

Reaction Score

The guy took this team from a Kenpom around 180 to somewhere in the 20s and you are complaining. Unreal.

I feel blessed to have someone as passionate and engaged as a coach. Perhaps I am too easily impressed.

Reaction Score
And yet, we came close to winning with all the above having happened.

Don't be surprised if Creighton makes a deep run in the tournament. And maybe UConn will too.

If Cole is okay and ready to play again, and Bouknight with a couple more days of rest reverts to form, all should be okay.

Reaction Score
I’ll admit I’ve also noticed this more and more over the past few games and thought he sounded like I did when I was an assistant coach on my daughter’s youth soccer team. At some point I realized I was doing it more for myself as a crazed fan than I was for their development, and I stopped doing it nearly as much.
Thank you. It's demeaning to the players. LET THEM PLAY THE GAME. If you coach them well enough in practice, they will know what to do. And if they still don't, look in the mirror at yourself as a coach. And the idea that you have to do that to be successful is nonsense. Again, the mic's pick up on some coaches trying to micromanage every pass and every defensive assignment in real time more than others. Empty arenas have exposed that. Hurley is always the loudest coach in the room.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calhoun was Vito Corleone. Hurley is Michael Corleone.
Not in their respective 3rd years at UConn they aren't. Calhoun had 3 NBA players on his squad and still sputtered down the stretch, losing in the first round in the BET to Hall. Didn't even make the Dance. Hurley is way ahead of Calhoun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think you watched Calhoun much, if you think he didn’t talk during games. He talked to players on court, his assistants and yelled at players on bench for things that happened on court through the whole game. Also to suggest DH might murder someone is ridiculous. Wow
Your hyperbole detector is broken.

Reaction Score
Thank you. It's demeaning to the players. LET THEM PLAY THE GAME. If you coach them well enough in practice, they will know what to do. And if they still don't, look in the mirror at yourself as a coach. And the idea that you have to do that to be successful is nonsense. Again, the mic's pick up on some coaches trying to micromanage every pass and every defensive assignment in real time more than others. Empty arenas have exposed that. Hurley is always the loudest coach in the room.
?

Reaction Score
the only thing that has prompted you to comment in two years - notwithstanding all the relatively significant developments within the program during that time - is that you think Hurley is mean and will have a mental breakdown and doesn’t wear his mask right. and you post this immediately after a loss in the Big East semifinals. and you’re indignant that people think you’re a clown.
Actually I'm probably the least indignant person in this thread. I find it funny that you guys can't handle any criticism of the head coach or anyone who posts anything against the grain. They are immediately a troll. Can't possibly be their sincere thoughts because in our cozy little bubble, no one says that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom