Having a hard time learning to love Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Having a hard time learning to love Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You guys are sad. You don't understand the difference between being a fan and sycophant.
And you don’t understand that we don’t care you’re having a hard time learning to love Hurley. It’s obviously tough for you given that’s it’s prompted you to post for the first time in almost 2 years (what an amazing coincidence that it came after a very disappointing loss). Perhaps a combination of therapy and prescription drugs can help you through this difficult time.

Reaction Score
Thinking of the OP singing this thread title to Selena Gomez’s “Lose you to Love Me” has me giggling at the moment...

Reaction Score
My TV has a volume control, so I don't hear Hurley like you do.

And I could write bad posts like yours better than you do.

If this isn't trolling, then that makes you more stupid than just intentionally unpleasant . Oh well.

But I give you some credit for not just setting off the stink bomb, but also coming back into the room to wave your arms around and keep it going.

Heads up: don't be surprised if every room you go into smells today.
It boggles my mind why people would even get so upset. Sheep. Apparently we're supposed to worship at the altar of the head coach. He's infallible. Someone above accused me of lack of nuance. It's possible to be a fan and STILL have mixed feelings about your coach. That's nuance.

Reaction Score
Thinking of the OP singing this thread title to Selena Gomez’s “Lose you to Love Me” has me giggling at the moment...
Wow your taste in music is even worse than my taste in head coaches.

Reaction Score
It boggles my mind why people would even get so upset. Sheep. Apparently we're supposed to worship at the altar of the head coach. He's infallible. Someone above accused me of lack of nuance. It's possible to be a fan and STILL have mixed feelings about your coach. That's nuance.
It's possible to have mixed feelings about Hurley, people here do it all the time. But when you go 2 years between posts (all on the football board no less), show up immediately after a tough loss, and then suggest Dan Hurley is a mean guy who's going to have a mental break down and quit, you deserve everything coming to you

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe it's the fact that without fans, the mics pick up almost everything. So this year we were treated to 40 minutes of Hurley screaming into our living rooms. Through every. Single. Play. Rick Pitino is another incessant screamer. He did this even with the Celtics--shocker the players eventually quit on him. I don't believe Calhoun did that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he screamed when he was upset with a player or a ref, but he didn't bark orders in real time on what players should do on every possession. Do players just ignore him? How the heck do you concentrate on the play and also focus on the advice coming from your maniac coach on the sidelines?

Also.............we have to talk about the mask thing. He takes it off to talk to refs, players, and the other coach, then he puts it back on when he walks away. Is this dress rehearsal? We're a year into the pandemic. Everyone knows by now that's the OPPOSITE of what you're supposed to do. He's either being ignorant or willfully non-complaint. Neither is a good look. Especially on a team that had multiple Covid related pauses.

Plus, he just doesn't have a warm personality. Yes, Calhoun was a nut, yes he could be a total jerk, but he still often seemed like a basically likable, down to earth guy. Hurley just doesn't seem to have that soft touch to balance out his angry lunacy. So I almost get more of a Bobby Knight vibe than a Jim Calhoun vibe. Calhoun seemed relaxed and comfortable in his own skin much of the time. Hurley constantly seems like a string that's about to snap--even in interviews where he's trying to be calm.

If they don't win--like, really win--in the next couple of years, I predict he's going to quit. Mental health sabbatical. Best thing. Otherwise he might murder someone!
That’s okay. A long, long time ago I had a hard time warming up to Taliek Brown as our point guard. But then @Fishy made a brilliant analogy to the process by which my “undercarriage” might acclimate to getting into a hot bathtub.

Next thing I know I was in San Antonio watching us win our second National Championship (albeit with Taliek almost losing it for us...and me almost suffering a cardiac event in the process).

Reaction Score
It's possible to have mixed feelings about Hurley, people here do it all the time. But when you go 2 years between posts (all on the football board no less), show up immediately after a tough loss, and then suggest Dan Hurley is a mean guy who's going to have a mental break down and quit, you deserve everything coming to you
I didn't have anything to say the last two years. Because I don't spend every day of my life on The Boneyard, I'm not qualified? You see how dumb that is, right?

Reaction Score
My TV has a volume control, so I don't hear Hurley like you do.

And I could write bad posts like yours better than you do.

If this isn't trolling, then that makes you more stupid than just intentionally unpleasant . Oh well.

But I give you some credit for not just setting off the stink bomb, but also coming back into the room to wave your arms around and keep it going.

Heads up: don't be surprised if every room you go into smells today.
Hans-- "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin.

Cyber Space perspective

Speaking of Seinfeld. This is an OP about nothing.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Explaining jokes and nuance, eh? I'll bookmark this for future reference, and thanks for the lessons.

Keep working on learning to love. Try Krista Tippet's recent revisit to an interview with Alain de Botton.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's the fact that without fans, the mics pick up almost everything. So this year we were treated to 40 minutes of Hurley screaming into our living rooms. Through every. Single. Play. Rick Pitino is another incessant screamer. He did this even with the Celtics--shocker the players eventually quit on him. I don't believe Calhoun did that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he screamed when he was upset with a player or a ref, but he didn't bark orders in real time on what players should do on every possession. Do players just ignore him? How the heck do you concentrate on the play and also focus on the advice coming from your maniac coach on the sidelines?

Also.............we have to talk about the mask thing. He takes it off to talk to refs, players, and the other coach, then he puts it back on when he walks away. Is this dress rehearsal? We're a year into the pandemic. Everyone knows by now that's the OPPOSITE of what you're supposed to do. He's either being ignorant or willfully non-complaint. Neither is a good look. Especially on a team that had multiple Covid related pauses.

Plus, he just doesn't have a warm personality. Yes, Calhoun was a nut, yes he could be a total jerk, but he still often seemed like a basically likable, down to earth guy. Hurley just doesn't seem to have that soft touch to balance out his angry lunacy. So I almost get more of a Bobby Knight vibe than a Jim Calhoun vibe. Calhoun seemed relaxed and comfortable in his own skin much of the time. Hurley constantly seems like a string that's about to snap--even in interviews where he's trying to be calm.

If they don't win--like, really win--in the next couple of years, I predict he's going to quit. Mental health sabbatical. Best thing. Otherwise he might murder someone!
I don’t think you watched Calhoun much, if you think he didn’t talk during games. He talked to players on court, his assistants and yelled at players on bench for things that happened on court through the whole game. Also to suggest DH might murder someone is ridiculous. Wow

Reaction Score
Our coach doesn't have a warm enough personality and hurt OPs feelings by yelling during a basketball game.

That's it. Fire him. I'm done with this Hurley character.

Reaction Score
I didn't have anything to say the last two years. Because I don't spend every day of my life on The Boneyard, I'm not qualified? You see how dumb that is, right?

the only thing that has prompted you to comment in two years - notwithstanding all the relatively significant developments within the program during that time - is that you think Hurley is mean and will have a mental breakdown and doesn’t wear his mask right. and you post this immediately after a loss in the Big East semifinals. and you’re indignant that people think you’re a clown.

Reaction Score
No it's all the easily disproven claims you made that make you unqualified

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
At the risk of ostracism ...

Just a reminder to everyone here: It is neither an affront to all you value in life nor a reason to limit opinions just because you come upon a post with which you vehemently disagree.

And, by the way, this is the case in almost every area of life. I’ll keep it clean. Opinions are like anuses - everybody has one. Everybody also has a heart. You disagree? Post your own take, and the evidence to back it up. It’s okay to be wrong and inflame passions. It’s also okay for an opinion to be right yet inflammatory

By the way, here’s mine. Hurley is a dramatic step up in recruiting, with a very good eye for better-than-rated talent, motivation and team chemistry, and coaching defense. He is still a work in progress in in-game coaching and offensive creativity.

Reaction Score
Hurley isn't perfect but he's pretty darn good.

We all know the things he has to tidy up and most of them are in-game management. He still hasn't gotten the program to where he wants it, so he deserves some slack and our support. Hard to believe that anyone would have done a better job in this short time than Danny has.

Reaction Score

You should take more time between posts.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you watched Calhoun much, if you think he didn’t talk during games. He talked to players on court, his assistants and yelled at players on bench for things that happened on court through the whole game. Also to suggest DH might murder someone is ridiculous. Wow
Calhoun was insanely intense. He was constantly ripping people a la Knight. He did mellow some after finally winning in 99.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The OP is nonsense, clearly doesn't know the game.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
At the risk of ostracism ...

Just a reminder to everyone here: It is neither an affront to all you value in life nor a reason to limit opinions just because you come upon a post with which you vehemently disagree.

And, by the way, this is the case in almost every area of life. I’ll keep it clean. Opinions are like anuses - everybody has one. Everybody also has a heart. You disagree? Post your own take, and the evidence to back it up. It’s okay to be wrong and inflame passions. It’s also okay for an opinion to be right yet inflammatory

By the way, here’s mine. Hurley is a dramatic step up in recruiting, with a very good eye for better-than-rated talent, motivation and team chemistry, and coaching defense. He is still a work in progress in in-game coaching and offensive creativity.
I think you give OP's intention and presentation too much credit, but your argument is unassailable.

I like your last paragraph. Kind of a shame that it's 'buried' within this particular thread. Either that, or a testament to how hard I'm willing to work to recognize nuance and find love where things are sometimes thorny.

Reaction Score

Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104