Having a hard time learning to love Hurley | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Having a hard time learning to love Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I feel the same about Bouknight. If Uconn goes out in the first weekend of the tournament. Bouknight basically accomplished nothing while at Uconn. He’s basically another Andre Drummond. Sorry but not sorry.

Reaction Score
I feel the same about Bouknight. If Uconn goes out in the first weekend of the tournament. Bouknight basically accomplished nothing while at Uconn. He’s basically another Andre Drummond. Sorry but not sorry.
No worries, we would never expect you to post anything that was thoughtful.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
No worries, we would never expect you to post anything that was thoughtful.
So third place in a weak Big East and getting bounced in the first weekend of the tourney is okay with you. Sorry but I like Winners. Bouknight needs to leave a lasting impression and the Tourney is his last chance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Smells like a Cuse fan. We don't want you to love Hurley.
Probably. You wonder why he’s here rather than hoping and praying for playing game matchup against Wichita State.

Spoiler alert: Cuse would lose.

Reaction Score
You definitely did not watch or listen to JC coach at UConn. If you did then you definitely would have been this triggered by him too.
Yes yes and yes....

Calhoun being gone for a few years and everyone forgets how he undressed players who made mistakes on the court. I have never seen DH humiliate a player publicly like Calhoun did regularly. He kicked the scorers table, slammed water bottles and He dropped m f’ers regularly on kids. Two different styles but to say calhouns methods were less severe shows you have a terrible memory or are ridiculously biased.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At a road game with no juice, I saw JC walk out onto the court with his patented exaggerated TO motions and once the whistle blew he screamed at a kid so loud you could hear it in the rafters, "You stupid mother father". That's not good coaching, even back then. Hurley doesn't do that.

Reaction Score
So third place in a weak Big East and getting bounced in the first weekend of the tourney is okay with you. Sorry but I like Winners. Bouknight needs to leave a lasting impression and the Tourney is his last chance.
Man you capitalized Winners and Tourney, that shows you mean serious business. Good one.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Every coach has their own idiosyncrasies, their strengths and weaknesses.
Taking over for a legend is terribly difficult and the immediate follower usually falters (as we have experienced).
DH was the consensus pick by most everyone affiliated with the program and so be it. I will admit that he wasn't my first choice if given a vote.
Because he is the chosen one doesn't mean he is without weaknesses and DH has his. One thing you cannot say is that he lacks passion for his job, the program, the school or his players. He is an elite recruiter who knows how to get to the recruit and their family - UConn will benefit hugely from this talent. He was and will be benefited immensely by being in the NBE.
He has much to learn as a bench coach and I still feel he should bring aboard a seasoned former P5 coach who can act as a mentor for a few seasons. Everyone can learn more no matter how long they have been doing something and the NBE is not URI or Wagner - it's a different level.
He received an extension recently which is well deserved and needed. We all want the program to succeed and for that to happen the coach has to be successful. DH has some of the things that will allow him to do so and there isn't reason why he can't become a very effective coach and mentor himself. You don't have to love DH to be able to appreciate both the good and bad.
I will criticize DH when I feel it is warranted and others here should be allowed the same. Not all who dare criticize are trolls.
During the chat last night someone was critical of DH keeping Sanogo on the bench during the last few minutes of the game, I myself was pissed at that decision also. At least two people questioned if that person was a real fan. Maybe it was the alcohol talking or frustration, but to me that questioning is evident way too much on the Boneyard lately.
Good take. The level of talent of both the players and coaches is at another level that is quite a leap from the A-10. Another approach would be to find an excellent young coach who has demonstrated superior "X and O's"
know how. I am sure they are out there. If he needs help (everyone does) he has to reach out and get someone to bring him up to speed. That's the quickest way to shore up any weakness if in fact there is one.
He and the staff are doing a phenomenal job of recruiting. Phenomenal. I think the kids relate well to him. I'm sure there are more than a few young coaches with the kind of talent to offer different ways to think about situations and study opponents that he could benefit from.

Reaction Score
Seinfeld taught us there's good naked and bad naked. When it comes to coaches, there's good mean and bad mean.
In this clip, Jim calls Boat a mother f-er. Just wondering if this is mean or bad mean? Asking for a friend? You are a true idiot! That’s an example of bad mean. Coaches that live, eat, support these guys can get away with calling their own players mother f-ers, that is good mean.

I don’t know you at all, so when I call you an idiot, that’s bad mean.

Reaction Score
My man DH and JB. discussing NCAA tournament run. And maybe their favorite pizza joint.

3F5DPAKHGBHSLLCAZVR64WNOLU.jpg

Reaction Score
With DH please take into account hes building this team now with his players and there have been some sweet surprises,,,Sanogo,,,cmon who would have thunk it and Andre just to name 2..This isnt the end of the book its the start and treat it as such

Reaction Score
It is so strange how a group of people who all want a common outcome to occur, with no physical impact on said outcome, turn on each other with quips and personal insults because of a disagreement. This is sports guys, it is entertainment. If you're attaching your identity to basketball to the point of getting upset at other people, you might need to turn off your computer and relax a bit.

Reaction Score
It is so strange how a group of people who all want a common outcome to occur, with no physical impact on said outcome, turn on each other with quips and personal insults because of a disagreement. This is sports guys, it is entertainment. If you're attaching your identity to basketball to the point of getting upset at other people, you might need to turn off your computer and relax a bit.
Just a theory, but talking this way to a wife, will not lead to a good outcome, so the frustration gets taken out on anonymous, online strangers.

Also, even guys who are friends do insult each other at times with quips and barbs.

I don't disagree that civility is a good thing on a message board.

On the other hand, some posters seem to personally know each other whether from a common profession, living in the same town and sharing that maybe on a PM, or maybe ex college roommates, or from family like a poster saying "Dad" after a comment or first naming the poster after reading some common experience that only he and the other poster could have known.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sit on it, Potsie.

(h/t SportsArt)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't believe Calhoun did that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he screamed when he was upset with a player or a ref, but he didn't bark orders in real time on what players should do on every possession.
I'm not going to read through 6 pages and I'm sure others have chimed in over the previous 142 posts.

Be that as it may, consider yourself corrected because you are indeed 100% wrong.

Reaction Score
At the risk of ostracism ...

Just a reminder to everyone here: It is neither an affront to all you value in life nor a reason to limit opinions just because you come upon a post with which you vehemently disagree.

And, by the way, this is the case in almost every area of life. I’ll keep it clean. Opinions are like anuses - everybody has one. Everybody also has a heart. You disagree? Post your own take, and the evidence to back it up. It’s okay to be wrong and inflame passions. It’s also okay for an opinion to be right yet inflammatory

By the way, here’s mine. Hurley is a dramatic step up in recruiting, with a very good eye for better-than-rated talent, motivation and team chemistry, and coaching defense. He is still a work in progress in in-game coaching and offensive creativity.
We get it. You're a doctor. No need to show off with your knowledge of the human anatomy!

Reaction Score
At a road game with no juice, I saw JC walk out onto the court with his patented exaggerated TO motions and once the whistle blew he screamed at a kid so loud you could hear it in the rafters, "You stupid mother father". That's not good coaching, even back then. Hurley doesn't do that.

I love the guy but that kind of stuff got increasingly cringeworthy toward the end. Specifically the walking out to midcourt to confront a kid and screaming loud enough to be heard in the nosebleeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom